Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Calamajué Wash
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 11:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TinCanAdventureVan  
Wow that geyser looks amazing!

I havent heard about the waterfall/Oasis west of SF. I've only heard of the one further south near Cataviña. Ive seen it called several things but often referred to as the Santa Maria Oasis. Looks like a far hike from Cataviña but it appears you can drive to within about 5 miles of it from the east without having to do any rock crawling and then hike the rest of the way. Have any of you been there?

many names for Poza de Escuadra (Square Pool)

hike from the east 5 hours (one of the best hikes in Baja)
the road from the west has been so abused that only competent 4x4 rigs (2 lockers) with good drivers should attempt to get close to the pool (you get to within 3/4 of a mile)
2WD and average 4WD can get within 5 miles
2+ hours hike in on the downhill
3+ hours on the way back - uphill

I drove in this year and was surprised about the bad shape of the road. The last 3 years have seen more destruction than the 30 years before

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-30-2021 at 11:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TinCanAdventureVan  
Wow those are some great tips Maderita!

I've actually been to the hot springs at Puertecitos and had a great time soaking there. I think I noticed on google maps theyre marked as temporarily closed but I will probably check it out and see what the story is. I saw someone online complaining that they charge to much for the hot springs and that there's free ones further south but I remember when I went maybe years ago thinking the price was fine.

I really like your idea of taking Mex 3 and climbing into the mountains. I think you may have changed the last leg of my trip! a 2wd van should handle those roads from Ojos Negros to Laguna Hanson and on to La Rumorosa? I was planning on stopping to see the pictographs there.

Seriously thank you for all of your help and ideas! I wish I was going to be around still for your rock climbing gathering!

the pictograph site in La Rumorosa is closed (no idea why)

Harald Pietschmann
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 01:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

the pictograph site in La Rumorosa is closed (no idea why)

4x4abc,
Is El Vallecito currently closed every day? I believe the normal days of operation are Wednesday through Sunday only; closed Monday & Tuesday.
The government agency INAH oversees El Vallecito and should be able to provide the current status for visitors.

TCAV,
De nada. The Ojos Negros - Laguna Hanson - La Rumorosa route will almost certainly be 2WD through mid-November. The dirt roads are mostly graded, just a bit rough. Airing the van tires down to 20-22 psi is not required, but will preserve your dental fillings. A sedan can do it, just by taking it a little slower. Thanksgiving through March the situation can change at those higher elevations (over 5,000'), such as, a foot of snow or deep mud sections.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 06:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

TCAV,
De nada. The Ojos Negros - Laguna Hanson - La Rumorosa route will almost certainly be 2WD through mid-November. The dirt roads are mostly graded, just a bit rough. Airing the van tires down to 20-22 psi is not required, but will preserve your dental fillings. A sedan can do it, just by taking it a little slower. Thanksgiving through March the situation can change at those higher elevations (over 5,000'), such as, a foot of snow or deep mud sections.

I made a road log of this route in 2018 plus my map.

Road Log: Hwy. 3 to Hwy. 2 via Laguna Hanson

0.0 Miles Hwy. 3 at Km. 54.5 (from Ensenada).
2.7 Fork, go left
3.8 Fork, go right
4.8 Oak Grove
5.2 Fork, go left (elev. 4,000')
11.2 First pine trees (elev. 5,000')
13.7 Rancho El Rayo
15.1 Road right to Rancho La Botella, cattle guard crossing.
16.2 Aserradero (abandoned homes) a former sawmill, elev. 5,277'.
16.4 Food advertised.
17.5 Cabins for rent, food store "Oxxxo".
19.1 Fork, go left.
19.8 LAGUNA HANSON (cabins) 68 pesos camping fee, elev. 5,300'
20.5 Km. 60 sign (37.2 miles from La Rumorosa, Hwy. 2).
22.1 Road east to Rancho San Luis... located above the top of Guadalupe Canyon.
23.8 Km. 55 sign.
24.6 Rancho Rodeo del Rey, an abandoned/ deteriorated hotel/restaurant.
25.0 Rancho Bajío Largo road west.
26.9 Km. 50 sign.
35.6 Rancho El Topo road west.
35.7 Km. 35 sign.
40.4 Former mining area of La Milla.
41.4 Condor road west, elev. 4,916'.
41.9 Km. 25 sign.
42.7 Junction with a road southwest from Las Margaritas.
44.4 Road to the east.
45.6 Rancho La Ponderosa road east.
47.2 Km. 17 sign.
48.7 Rancho Nuevo road east
53.1 Km. 7, 'Inspection' station, open gate.
55.1 Blacktop paved road begins.
55.4 Parques Los Potrillos and El Tesoro campgrounds.
57.5 Highway 2 (Km. 72), La Rumorosa.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 08:23 AM

No doubt some Mexican hikers named it that when they first posted about it on some platform. There is no mention of that name in any of the books or publications I have seen from before seeing it on Facebook.

Look how well my name for the steep grade near the mission has been accepted by Mexican off-roaders... all Spanish videos with the word "widowmaker" included!

Names start somewhere and are either accepted or changed. I think I have only named two places in Baja in all my years, 'Shell Island' and 'Widowmaker'.

[Edited on 10-1-2021 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 09:20 AM

The turn off to Laguna Hansen/Compadre Trail at K54 on Hwy 3 is closed. Barbed wire strung tight (not a gate) with a deep backhoe ditch behind it across the road. Might be possible to access the lake coming from Ojos but I have not tried it lately.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
The turn off to Laguna Hansen/Compadre Trail at K54 on Hwy 3 is closed. Barbed wire strung tight (not a gate) with a deep backhoe ditch behind it across the road. Might be possible to access the lake coming from Ojos but I have not tried it lately.

I had heard that before (earlier this year)... When did you find it that way? I will update the guide. This was the signed main road to Hanson in 2018 (and before).

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 10:11 AM

last report Ride Baja guys had no problem accessing from Ojo's....

geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 10:21 AM

Here? (GPS: 31.864, -116.1156)

I passed through here just fine in 2016, but that was 5 years ago.

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 10:59 AM

Last time I went by was September 8th, 2021. Still closed same as last spring. There was/is a section of fence to the side that a bike could get around. Would have required some fence removal And bush wacking to get my truck through at that time.

ETA. Geoff, yes that is the spot.

[Edited on 10-1-2021 by mjs]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 11:28 AM
Km. 54.5

Geoff, it was the signed road for the Park and Laguna Hanson in August 2018 when I was doing my final research trip for the Baja Bound Road Guide.

A fork in the road north of the highway:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2021 at 03:16 PM

Paul, an Aug. 2021 street view image show a big gate there, signed Sangre de Cristo. Is this unlocked and you passed through?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2021 at 04:30 PM

I just drew a track on Google Earth I have never been there.

I would refer others to ingnor Sangre and use the other road I drew from Ojos
I will delete the sangre post

[Edited on 11-23-2021 by PaulW]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2021 at 04:58 PM

Avoid Sangre de Cristo and K58 to get to L Hansen Just drive the road shown from Ojos Negro

Avoid K54.8.jpg - 185kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2021 at 05:31 PM

Thank you, Paul!

pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2021 at 10:48 AM

Back to the original topic ...

On my recent Baja trip I was going to repeat the route I did last year from Hwy 5 (Coco's) exiting onto Hwy 1 via Calamajué Wash. I stopped and visited with Coco at his new place and he said we would encounter a locked gate and to just use the bypass around it. I can't believe I didn't take a pic of the gate but it is located at (29.529245, -114.283586) and is very clearly marked as closed and no entry. I was traveling with a couple other vehicles and I went half way around the short steep bypass but we all mutually agreed that given the very clear messaging on the signs that we would abandon this route.

Anyone know what the deal is with the locked gate? We did bump into a couple riding motorcycles a few days later that said they went around the gate and had no issues.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2021 at 11:40 AM

Why go to the old Coco's Corner from the new, if Calamajué is your goal?

Use the original road from Las Arrastras (New Coco's) to Calamajué. It leaves the older main road just after it curves south. A second road joins it a bit beyond. Use Google Earth to see them.

I show these roads on my map, too (they are also how you get to the Pioneer Mine road):

pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2021 at 12:54 PM

Why didn't I go your way, because I wasn't aware of it and went the way I did last year that worked well. Now I know another way.

Thanks

[Edited on 11-24-2021 by pjpvi]

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2021 at 01:08 PM
Possible to avoid the gate?

I have not been to the new gate. I bet the gate is close to Old Coco’s place. If so, here are some roads in the area.
At K179.5
Follow the blue road past New Coco’s place and take the first left. Decent road that has not been used for racing for a while. Be aware the race just when thru there and the turn off the old Hwy 5 may be hidden behind the bank on the side of the old road.
Do not take the gold colored road which is old Hwy5 and the race track, and lead’s to old Coco;s place and back to new Hwy5.
The image also shows the new Hwy to Chapala.
When you follow the blue road you will come to the intersection to the Pioneer mine and follow to Calamajue.
Make the hard right turn onto the green road to Calamajue.

To help you find the blue road at new Coco look on your device for these coords
29 32.984, -114 20.383 and 29 33, -114 20.33

Avoid New gate.jpg - 244kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2021 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pjpvi  
Why didn't I go your way, because I wasn't aware of it and went the way I did last year that worked well. Now I am know another way.

Thanks

I am only surprised that Coco didn't provide it as an option... It was the main route of 'Hwy. 5' prior to 1983 (when the road from Chapala was graded to Puerto Calamajué). Coco's original corner was where that new road met the road to Gonzaga (graded in 1986).

1975 Map:

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.