the waste is considered dangerous ///

you are supposed to put it in a collection pond so it seeps into the soil

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
[...]with the pressure often going negative. I.e. it sucks in from outside, be it from private hoses stuck in filthy water with the tap open, or in through leaks in the underground pipes run in the same trench with leaky sewer pipes. Then when the pressure comes back up, it carries those contaminants on to unsuspecting neighbors, perhaps blocks away.

Curious! That explains a lot. I guess they don't mandate backflow preventers like they do here in the rich USA for my yard sprinkler system.

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2021 at 10:18 AM

Indeed... a garden hose trickling in a planter could bring in fertilizer, manure, dirt if the water pressure drops and a back-siphonage happens.

In Mexico, this may be when the water supply does not remain consistent, elevation changes in the distribution (a home lower in elevation from yours may have water running and the water system is shut down or pressure drops... that would cause water in you lines to reverse direction and head to that lower home.. even if for a few seconds... that is enough to contaminate the water system.

In the USA, this usually only happens if the fire department hooks up to a hydrant near you or a main line breaks. This causes negative pressure in that neighborhood and could bring in contaminated water.

This is why every commercial and many residential properties have a backflow preventer. Sprinkler systems use anti-siphon valves or backflow preventers, and garden hose bibs now all have anti siphon check valves that only allow water to go one direction.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 12:00 PM

We fill up our RV with tap water in Baja and haven't had any issues with showering and washing dishes.

For drinking water we use a couple of these 7 gallon jugs with a spigot and get them filled at an agua purificada place for cheap. Usually the same price they charge for a 5 gallon.

Pick up a 5 gallon solar shower bag. They work great on sunny days.

[Edited on 10-4-2021 by HeyMulegeScott]

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  
We fill up our RV with tap water in Baja and haven't had any issues with showering and washing dishes.

For drinking water we use a couple of these 7 gallon jugs with a spigot and get them filled at an agua purificada place for cheap. Usually the same price they charge for a 5 gallon.

Pick up a 5 gallon solar shower bag. They work great on sunny days.

[Edited on 10-4-2021 by HeyMulegeScott]

+1

John
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:38 AM

I only drink bottled water in baja. Don't trust agua purificada because I've gotten upset stomachs from it (and worse). For some people it takes time for their stomachs to adjust to agua purificada. I also brush my teeth with bottled water as well. My Mexican neighbor uses agua purificada and I get upset stomachs when eating ceviche or salads. Everyone is different. I side with caution.
missejc

[*] posted on 12-24-2022 at 12:13 PM

Those 5 gallon garrafons are getting heavy. I want to use these to fill my 16 gallon tank. Other than standing and holding the heavy bottles to get water into the little hole, has anyone got an idea on how to get it into the tank? Some kind of pump? Do the purifacados have mangueras?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2022 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
8 gallons is nothing...a big water bottle and a little one...
fill at the water store for 1 dollar...purified water

your biggest threat is your own tank...if you dont know how to treat the water in it is already moldy

7 days without a shower you'll be filthy...and stinky

remember when you stay in a town hotel in baja they use town water...they dont treat it....its "good enough"///no one gets sick

always drink bottled water even at home

A dollar? I think you are paying a special price.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2022 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by missejc  
Those 5 gallon garrafons are getting heavy. I want to use these to fill my 16 gallon tank. Other than standing and holding the heavy bottles to get water into the little hole, has anyone got an idea on how to get it into the tank? Some kind of pump? Do the purifacados have mangueras?[/rquote

Get a 12 volt tansfer pump or a manual pump if you want some exercise. Some of the agua purificada places have hoses but not all that i've used.

[Edited on 12-24-2022 by chippy]
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2022 at 08:26 AM

Those 5 gallon garrafons are getting heavy. I want to use these to fill my 16 gallon tank. Other than standing and holding the heavy bottles to get water into the little hole, has anyone got an idea on how to get it into the tank? Some kind of pump? Do the purifacados have mangueras?
You can find siphon pumps at nearly every supermarket in Baja. ie: Sorianas, Chedraui, Leys

In Memory of E-57
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 12-26-2022 at 09:24 AM

Most of the water plants have a hose to fill RVs and larger tanks. 7 gal should set you back a couple of $$$ us. You can buy a new full 5 gal container for 110-120 Pesos. You might want to carry a couple.

Under no circumstances would I put any untested Mexican water into my tank without adding chlorine bleach at about a Tbs/gallon! There are things that bleach won’t kill quickly as well.

The HOAs low pressure water system in Rancho Nuevo probably suffers from the occasional back flow. The solution widely used in places with low pressure delivery systems is to use the main supply to fill a tank or cistern and run a pressure water system from there. We have 10K liters of storage to which I add bleach regularly. All gravity water systems will be problematic sooner or later!

[Edited on 12-26-2022 by RFClark]
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2022 at 04:06 PM

Those 5 gallon garrafons are getting heavy. I want to use these to fill my 16 gallon tank. Other than standing and holding the heavy bottles to get water into the little hole, has anyone got an idea on how to get it into the tank? Some kind of pump? Do the purifacados have mangueras?[/rquo

At Harbor Freight they have a liquid transfer pump that works on batteries works well and is under $20. I use to transfer fuel in my boat,love it
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2022 at 09:40 PM

If you think the 5 gallon jugs are heavy, the 7 gallon ones are that much heavier. I use a Home Depot folding hand truck to haul mine around.

Another note, don't let the 5 gal jugs drop even a few inches as you set them down. They are really brittle and will burst in your camper. Guess how I know?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-27-2022 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
If you think the 5 gallon jugs are heavy, the 7 gallon ones are that much heavier. I use a Home Depot folding hand truck to haul mine around.

Another note, don't let the 5 gal jugs drop even a few inches as you set them down. They are really brittle and will burst in your camper. Guess how I know?

Toting around water jugs is good for you. As we age, we must use it or lose it. The smart health-conscious nomad will eschew any pump assist or dolly, and will hand-carry the jugs and hold them while emptying them.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.