Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Divide Trail
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 06:52 PM
Baja Divide Trail

Is there any information out there about the Baja Divide Trail? I have the new Benchmark atlas and saw it there. I did a search here and just found a reference to it in a thread about a bicycle vid crossing it.

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Or, if there isn’t a good place already, maybe this thread can be a place for it!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 06:55 PM

Just Google Baja divide and it will take you to the sight. They have shareable GPS track of the whole route, we ride a lot of it on motos. Always have extra water and snacks for these hardcore soles.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 07:13 PM

Ryan van Duzer video “Bike-packing the Baja Divide”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-xF5rypkE

Baja Divide
https://bajadivide.com/

Enjoy!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 07:24 PM

Lol. I never thought to simply Google it! Thanks!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 08:25 PM

I love those brand new inventions - Google!

Harald Pietschmann
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 09:01 PM

I'm all for googling but it's nice when you can come to a place like this and help sort through a sea of information.

This is the main site -
https://bajadivide.com/

Another good one -
https://bikepacking.com/routes/baja-divide/

bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 09:54 PM

I’m just so used to googling remote places in Baja and getting results for Costa Rica or Mainland that I stopped doing it.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 02:55 PM

I stumbled across the site a few years ago Googling other Baja stuff. I had seen the bikes a few times but never realized they were using the same route more often then not. Read up on the fastest known time challenge, crazy.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 03:10 PM

I have run into bikepackers on the Divide route quite a few times over the last few years, and many of them are European visitors.

I have a standing offer to my son in Anchorage to drive the "SAG wagon" if he and a couple of friends want to meet me in Baja. One of his friends is Lael Wilcox, who had the fastest time for the route for a couple of years.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I love those brand new inventions - Google!

The Google machine is awesome, especially when connected to the internets.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 03:35 PM

Met a Canadian couple riding bikes on the Baja Divide route, in August, at Mission San Luis Gonzaga... They very much appreciated the cold bottles of water I gave them the two days I crossed their path between there and San Evaristo. We are now Facebook friends and their trip went all over Mainland Mexico, after Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Met a Canadian couple riding bikes on the Baja Divide route, in August, at Mission San Luis Gonzaga... They very much appreciated the cold bottles of water I gave them the two days I crossed their path between there and San Evaristo. We are now Facebook friends and their trip went all over Mainland Mexico, after Baja.

That's almost suicidal to do it in August.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:09 AM

I ride parts of this route on moto have seen real nice people. Hiking and bicycles many not prepared to handle this route . Have had to double out many on moto . Bike broken or they have to push in too far. Hikers out of water had to give them our water . Then go back and check on them . All super cool and happy for the help.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:22 AM

I picked up a young woman with a broken bike near San Evaristo last year. She was riding solo at the time, but was going to meet up with someone in La Paz, so I gave her a ride to town.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 03:11 PM

Part of it south of Erindira uses part of the race course with 4 ft whoops and lots of rocks. Usually see them pushing the bicycles thru that part.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 04:08 PM

The trail also heads east toward Mulege using the Arroyo San Raymundo. I encountered a couple on that section that was not enjoying the many water crossings with large, slick cobbles paving the drainage!

By the way, if you check the Elimaps Baja map (sold at Oxxo), it shows the arroyo as a highway. Don't believe it!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The trail also heads east toward Mulege using the Arroyo San Raymundo. I encountered a couple on that section that was not enjoying the many water crossings with large, slick cobbles paving the drainage!

By the way, if you check the Elimaps Baja map (sold at Oxxo), it shows the arroyo as a highway. Don't believe it!

I am rarely impressed by maps produced in Mexico. It seems accuracy is not high on their list.
Get the Benchmark Road & Recreation Atlas, in 2021, at least for the latest road map. All maps have errors or get outdated, so if you know of any submit your findings for Benchmark's next edition. This is a company that wants to have a good product.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 04:41 PM

David, I bought two! One for the road, and one as a spare when I wind up destroying the road atlas.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
David, I bought two! One for the road, and one as a spare when I wind up destroying the road atlas.

Good for you!

In 2009, when the last Baja Almanac was published, I bought three... one for the truck, one for the office, and one to sell on eBay when the price reached $900! LOL

Those Benchmark guys ruined my retirement plan! LOL :lol:

jwheel1970

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 04:58 PM

Is the trail ok for vehicles too? 4x4... What a great trip
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.