Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Road to San Antonio Difficulty
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 07:01 PM
Road to San Antonio Difficulty

Several years ago and with two different trucks, I’ve done the road up from Punta Cono/Punta Blanco through Codornices to San Antonio and then Mex 1. I remember quite clearly the climb from the Pacific being low range and unsuitable for RVs (I’ve done it in an F150 and an F350). But since the eastern end is so much easier, it hasn’t left an impression on me.

I now have a 4x4 Class C motor home that I’m taking on its first Baja trip this fall. It’s lifted a bit but still has pretty terrible departure angles. How far could I hope to get along the road from mex 1 to the dam ruins?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 09:35 PM

Besides the steep, rutted grade, there is a big boulder that you squeeze by... So, not a good choice for a motorhome, IMO.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 09:49 PM

I just read your trip report on Tacomaworld. I don’t mean the whole road. Ive driven it twice west to east and agree it’s not a good road. I hope the couple you rescued managed to sort things out with their employer and their health. Do you know any more about them?

In your trip report, I’m talking about the upper, eastern leg of the road at the oasis where you wrote this:

“ An oasis is a mile past the ranch. Soon a dam and reservoir are in the gully below. Another oasis is in the distance, but the road I am on turns away from it before I am motivated to drive to it on a very unused track I saw. That would be the true Rancho San Antonio (Formerly 'Los Codornices'). It was 4:18pm.”

David K’s tacomaworld trip report

My recollection is that the road is pretty flat and serviceable from Mex1 to that point, but the grade to the Pacific is what really commands my attention so I’m unsure of my memory. I last drove that road in the winter of 2004. I got the first body damage on my new truck on that road when the detour around a fallen cardon was tighter than expected and I hooked the back wheel on a cirio. I wish I’d told that story to the guy who bought the truck from me last month…..

Edited to add: photo credit David K. I didn’t think the pic saved so I didn’t mention it before. Hope it’s okay to repost one of your pics.

A25A79ED-3395-4BFF-A15E-F2B656577617.jpeg - 116kB

[Edited on 10-5-2021 by bajajoaquin]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 06:00 AM

Yes, please feel welcome to use my photos and maps with a note on the source. You did good.

Those trip reports are all here on Baja Nomad, too (numbered 1-8 in the Trip Reports forum). The difference is that when Photobucket ended their photo hosting agreement, without their watermark, the images on Tacoma World were free of the watermark.

The couple in distress at La Miseria were seen again at that place, so I guess the land owner paid them off? However, since then the ranch was burned to the ground... so a new mystery!

There are two roads to San Antonio from Hwy. 1, Km. 252 and Km. 270.5, I used the southern route in. Great cirio trees along there... it was not a fast road.

It is from San Antonio (formerly Codornices) down the mountain to La Miseria I recommend only a 4WD SUV or pickup drive.

[Edited on 10-5-2021 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 06:44 AM

Thanks.

I’ve seen you post that section of map before but it wasn’t clear to me if 4wd referred to the grade section or the eastern sections.

I’m looking at options for what to do if there’s no surf in early November. While I’ve been there, my brother hasn’t, and would like to see it. Actually, he would really like to drive the grade but I’ve told him I way to that. The view down the valley to cono is lovely, but it’s no place for my current rig.

I figure the coast road from the Wall (Punta Rosario) to Santa Rosalillita is just too much for me now. My old truck was just fine, but when I added a Lance camper, there was one gully where I just dragged the rear end. No way I’d make that now. Departure angle seems to be my main limiting factor.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 07:19 AM

If the object is to get to the surf rather than drive bad roads for fun, I suggest driving down to Santa Rosalillita, then go north on the good graded road to Punta María/ Punta Cono:

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Besides the steep, rutted grade, there is a big boulder that you squeeze by... So, not a good choice for a motorhome, IMO.

===
Agree and the off camber and getting past the washouts will also be an issue for a big rig.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 08:19 AM

Do you have any pictures of your motor home? I’d love to see them, sounds like a cool rig.
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
If the object is to get to the surf rather than drive bad roads for fun, I suggest driving down to Santa Rosalillita, then go north on the good graded road to Punta María/ Punta Cono:

There seems to be a disconnect here. I keep asking about the section between Mex 1 and the steep grade. The part that leads to the abandoned rancho and oasis. You keep replying about the steep grade between the oasis and the pacific coast.

Unless I’m missing something, the road between the highway and the oasis is (was) mostly smooth but slow with sandy patches that might catch out a 2wd vehicle. I’m just wondering if that section is lower difficulty than the big grade. My memory says it is, but I haven’t driven it since 2004.

The object is not to get to surf. The object is to get to the oasis a mile past the ranch up on the Mex 1 side of the grade. Spend the night. Move on to another nice spot in the morning.

If there’s surf, I’ll be going straight to the coast via graded roads.

If there’s no surf, I want to spend a little time seeing places I don’t usually see because I’m usually focused on the surf. There are places I’m confident I can’t go, like the road between The Wall and Sta rosalillita, or the road to the coast from La Bachata, but I’m looking for places to go that may be accessible for a vehicle with good traction but limited rutted-road capabilities.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 10:23 AM

Hi Joaquin, I did answer that as best I could... and then as typical with Nomads, we added more data than you asked for! Ha!!

I told you that I came in from the southern route (Km. 270.5)... and I think you are interested in the northern route (Km. 252)?

The road was ok in my Tacoma 4x4, but I would not recommend a motorhome... Lot's of dips (cross grain).

From where the two roads joined... It was okay, you first passed an abandoned ranch, off to the south, and then come near the oasis of San Antonio. There is a fork, and the heavy traffic goes left, as I did for the coast. I missed seeing the ruins of San Antonio and the rest of the oasis...

I was bummed because once I realized I missed seeing it, I was too far away to justify turning around. It was late in the afternoon and I hoped to get to the coast to camp. Running into that couple at La Miseria changed things!

Does that help? I do have a amigo who rode his motorcycle on the northern branch that I bumped into at Km. 252 as they were coming out on another of my trips that year. He is a Nomad but doesn't post much. More of a Facebook user.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 11:34 AM

The road is not for the faint of heart. It is an ungraded narrow 2 track with deep ruts and a high center. Chollas lurking everywhere. If it looks really sketchy you might even have to turn around and drive a couple miles back to the highway...
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 12:57 PM

Ok, got it. Thanks all. It will go off the “potential” list until I’ve had a few trips in it to see what feels safe.

WestyWanderer, I don’t have any pics except on my phone, and they’re too big to upload here. But I’m happy to type what I know!

It’s a 1998 Jamboree 24’ Class C. It has under 20,000 real miles on it. It was one of the “factory” 4x4 conversions offered by Jamboree in 1998 (1999? It’s not clear but the chassis is a 1998). The conversion was done by Salem-Kroger. Specs:

1998 E-450 chassis
24’ rear bed/rear bath layout
V10/E4OD trans
BW 13-56 transfer case
Dana 60 high pinion front
Dana 80 rear
4.63 gears
It’s not “lifted” but I’d guess it’s about 3”-4” over stock height
It just came back from the diff shop where onboard air was installed in preparation for an ARB rear locker when they get back in stock. I’m debating a front locker still.

My intent isn’t to take it ‘wheeling, but to go places that a regular motor home couldn’t or to have a margin for the unusual. Case in point: I took my family to the seven sisters area thanksgiving 2019. We had that big storm that made getting out of our camp and out the road impossible for an extra day. That was in a 4x4 F350 with a Lance. A 2wd camper would have been stuck for a while. But it’s a region I’ve gone to for 20 years and had heretofore been totally accessible in a 2wd vehicle. So the idea is to go places that have risk of changing conditions and still be able to get home.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajajoaquin  
Ok, got it. Thanks all. It will go off the “potential” list until I’ve had a few trips in it to see what feels safe.

WestyWanderer, I don’t have any pics except on my phone, and they’re too big to upload here. But I’m happy to type what I know!

It’s a 1998 Jamboree 24’ Class C. It has under 20,000 real miles on it. It was one of the “factory” 4x4 conversions offered by Jamboree in 1998 (1999? It’s not clear but the chassis is a 1998). The conversion was done by Salem-Kroger. Specs:

1998 E-450 chassis
24’ rear bed/rear bath layout
V10/E4OD trans
BW 13-56 transfer case
Dana 60 high pinion front
Dana 80 rear
4.63 gears
It’s not “lifted” but I’d guess it’s about 3”-4” over stock height
It just came back from the diff shop where onboard air was installed in preparation for an ARB rear locker when they get back in stock. I’m debating a front locker still.

My intent isn’t to take it ‘wheeling, but to go places that a regular motor home couldn’t or to have a margin for the unusual. Case in point: I took my family to the seven sisters area thanksgiving 2019. We had that big storm that made getting out of our camp and out the road impossible for an extra day. That was in a 4x4 F350 with a Lance. A 2wd camper would have been stuck for a while. But it’s a region I’ve gone to for 20 years and had heretofore been totally accessible in a 2wd vehicle. So the idea is to go places that have risk of changing conditions and still be able to get home.

Feel free to email any photos you want posted until you get the hang of using www.postimages.org (resized to 800 pixels or less). My email is: info AT vivabaja.com

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 09:07 PM

I had no idea they offered a “factory” 4x4. We had a 2004 Tioga 24D (rear bed) and loved it. Considered have it converted to 4x4 for the same reasons you have but felt the construction wouldn’t handle the abuse. Maybe I’ll see you around the sister, I make it there once or twice a year usually.
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2021 at 09:37 PM

I’d never heard of postimages. Cool.

These are either from the listing or just after purchase. It’s since gotten 32” tires. At some point I’ll change the graphics to something less ostentatious.

Because the factory option was so rare, we just jumped on it without much research. After purchase, we found out that it’s a brand that made the frames with steel and aluminum rather than only wood. I’m pretty happy about that.

I’m headed down first week in November to the sisters and then in late February to go whale watching.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 07:01 AM
Nice rig!

I would assume that the transfer case has a low range option, am I wrong?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 10:52 AM

No, you’re not wrong. The Borg Warner 13-56 is the transfer case out of the Ford 4x4 trucks of the era and maybe up to current. It was used in F-Series from 150 to 450.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 11:01 AM

That long, rear overhang looks like a real limiter for off road travel? The 4WD must be great for getting onto the beach, however!

bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 11:19 AM

Yes, exactly. I key in on the road North to Santa Rosalillita because I have video of my old truck and camper going through the steepest gully section and it drags the camper bumper. It’s literally at the limit of what that combo can do. This camper is way worse in that regard.

But I knew that going in. It’s really for beach access and getting through the muddy sections that can grow after a rain.

I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, though. I just bought it a little bit ago and have been working on all the deferred maintenance and a few updates. First trip in it will be in about four weeks.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 12:05 PM

I run 32 inch tires on my Trooper, and I wish they were bigger! With dual rear wheels, you probably are maxed out on the size, and if you "air down" to get through some sand, the sidewalls will probably rub.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.