Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: san ignacio checkpoint
esemjay1956

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 06:50 AM
san ignacio checkpoint

I see the Govt bandidos are at it again at the San Ignacio checkpoint. WHY does this continue after all these years? It seems to slow down for a while then some folks get hasseled like crazy and stuff stolen. Calling the number seems to have no effect....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 07:25 AM

Please detail what happened there.

For me, in 2015, I was accused of having marijuana bits on my floor mat!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by esemjay1956  
I see the Govt bandidos are at it again at the San Ignacio checkpoint. WHY does this continue after all these years? It seems to slow down for a while then some folks get hasseled like crazy and stuff stolen. Calling the number seems to have no effect....

Me thinks you read some story on Facebook, eh?

Call and write mex military, political and tourism officials if it bothers you.

If concerned a check point, only open/unlock one door at a time. Also, if things go sideways, hit your panic alarm button on key fob and make some noise.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:05 AM

Your story is a tad vague, and lacking details. Care to elaborate?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:40 AM

I tried to locate the original story to copy here but I can't find it. Some folks were told to step away from their vehicle while it was searched and they got money stolen to the tune of $1500 if I recall correctly.

It was a disturbing story.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:49 AM

This from Facebook, Voices of Loreto, shared from TalkBajaRoadConditions

“ On Sunday 10/3 at the San Ignacio Military stop (heading South), my husband and I were told to get out of our Jeep Wrangler for inspection and to move away from the car. I was asked for my passport and questioned about where we were coming from and where we were going...I was driving. The other military guy rifled through my husband´s briefcase...he was told to stand back..and, we found out later, stole $1,500. They rifled through my personal papers and then told us to remove all the contents of our car. We were fully loaded. We brought out several boxes and my overnight bag...which the guard went through opening all my medications, cosmetics, underwear, jewelry. I watched him closely...luckily he missed my cash. When he tried to open some medication that was sealed and needed refrigeration in our cooler, we both said NO. After going into my husband´s wallet and taking 2500 pesos, we were allowed to leave.
Be careful there. Apparently there is a number displayed on a post to call and complain. We did not know that but when you start to call, they let you go. A very unpleasant experience to say the least.

That was the only problem we´ve had in the many times up and down Baja.”

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:54 AM

Who carries $1500 cash, when credit cards, and other means of payment are available? That seems fishy to me. And someone carries a briefcase with money in it???

IDK, just seems like an odd story.

John
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:15 AM

I do. Not all locals have a bank account or take credit cards for services. Cash is king and can help you out of a jam.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:17 AM

Thats right!! shoot the messenger....I have always carried cash on our trips..Cash is king when in Mexico...I for one believe this story. That check point has a reputation for rip-offs....

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
Thats right!! shoot the messenger....I have always carried cash on our trips..Cash is king when in Mexico...I for one believe this story. That check point has a reputation for rip-offs....

I have heard that before, but I have always been waved through with no search. It might have something to do with my co-pilot...she is 90+ pound's of canine muscle and bone!

She won't bite, but they don't know that!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:30 AM

Either way, if I carried $1500 cash, it certainly would not be in a briefcase. I assume you 'cash is King" folks probably hide any large amounts of cash? Or, just leave it on the front seat??

I assume most people would use a little common sense when carrying cash.

John

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by John Harper]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Either way, if I carried $1500 cash, it certainly would not be in a briefcase. I assume you 'cash is King" folks probably hide any large amounts of cash? Or, just leave it on the front seat??

I assume most people would use a little common sense when carrying cash.

John

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by John Harper]

When you exit your car for an inspection, take your cash, camera, whatever is loose with you. I have my pockets full and am holding my GPS and camera when I get out on the rare times asked to exit my Tacoma. I have not had anything stolen from me by the military. Once they helped themselves to a couple of drinks out of my ice box when they asked me if they could... Their guns were bigger than mine, lol.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:52 AM

I have always carried a cash reserve in case of an emergency, or loss of credit or debit cards.

In 2016, there was some issue with international money exchanges that caused the banks in Mulege and Loreto to refuse to issue pesos on a US bank card. They also would not accept my US greenbacks for exchange!

I was able to get more pesos when I got to La Paz, but I now keep 10,000 pesos as my emergency stash!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:52 AM

That being said, David, there was the instance where the inspection guards made the folks empty their pockets.

I do not think $1500 is all that much to be carrying around? Add to that that this situation is simply unacceptable. Not always do ATMs work. Cards get lost or stolen.

One must watch the guards always, we tend to stand each to one side as they look thru our vehicle. Hawk eyes.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  

Not shooting anyone, just asking some basic questions.

No where in this story is there a reason given for all that cash, nor any awareness of a reputation about checkpoint issues. If these travelers were as seasoned and wise as you, perhaps they would not have this story to tell.

And how much cash do you usually carry, as much as $1500, or maybe $500 or less? I usually pack at least $300 "emergency" cash, but it's hidden very well and likely only less than $100 in my wallet.

John
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 10:28 AM

it doesn't matter if it was $1500 or $15, so much for AMLO's promise of a civilian controlled security force. meet the new boss same as the old boss:(

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 10:39 AM

My cash, cards, ID are all in my pockets at checkpoints. I can see having 1500 in cash if I were on my way to buy something, like a small outboard from a local, but that would be in an envelope, in my pocket.

Definitely don't hide anything in a cooler, coolers are always checked.;)

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
For me, in 2015, I was accused of having marijuana bits on my floor mat!

So David, what measures did you take to follow up after that agression? Did you get any response from the authorities?

My wife and I were just stunned since in all my years of being inspected nothing like that had ever happened before. We just wanted to get away from that troop after they played that game. That was six years ago, and I did share the whole story here on Nomad (maybe review that?). We were driving north, on to the next camping beach. No place to make a report if we felt like going through that.

We had spent the night at Ricardo's (Rice & Beans) Motel in San Ignacio because the 'perfect' Hotel La Huerta was full, and the other places we knew (Desert Inn, Ignacio Springs) were just too $$$ for an overnight stop. If we were going south and stayed in San Ignacio, after the incident, I would likely notify someone there. I did regret not getting the guy's name, after we were gone, however.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 12:51 PM

Money (esp. large sum) in a money belt, and/or shoes. No pockets and never off my body (not in vehicle, pack, suitcase, etc).

Lucky so far. Binocs, and Swiss knife taken (at ckpt).

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Who carries $1500 cash, when credit cards, and other means of payment are available? That seems fishy to me. And someone carries a briefcase with money in it???

IDK, just seems like an odd story.

John

What are you talking about? I wouldn't recommend anyone travel Baja with less cash.

In the US I might go months without handling a bill. Baja is much different. I can't give a boat capt. a CC.

Keep a certain amount on me or in my back pack, and the rest stowed away.

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.