Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Overlanding safely
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 07:33 AM
Overlanding safely

We are getting to retirement age and have built a 2020 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison for overlanding (food, water, shade, shelter). I have David's map and I am ready to roll throughout Baja. My husband, however, not so much. He feels that heading into remote areas solo (just us) is not a good idea.

My question is, in your overlanding expeditions do you usually travel with others? Or do you in general feel safe when alone in remote areas? Have you run into people who may want to cause harm, or are they fairly non-existent in the middle of the desert?

Please don't rag me for this question, I am looking for honest answers I can pass on to my husband.

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by BajaMama]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 07:47 AM

In 2016 I joined two other Nomads for a couple of days of back roads in central Baja. Other than that, all of my explorations have been solo trips, except for my canine companion.

I have avoided areas near the border, or on the edge of larger population centers, so I can't vouch for their safety, but away from crowds, my experiences have all been good!

My Spanish is terrible, but the more I try to use it, the better things seem to go when I interact with the few locals I meet. By the way, I retired in 2007.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 07:55 AM

I live in Baja 24/7 do off road trips all the time . I have not had to deal with problem people. Would I drive any of my off road toys alone ? No having almost every off road toy you can think of . One things go bad without back up . You will get in trouble it's rare but since I do it all the time. I'm more likely to get stuck or break down or what ever . The list is long what has happened on my trips of 50 years Baja off road . Having a emergency sos is better than nothing. Still puts you in harm's way routes I travel . You generally see no one . Have fun enjoy.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:02 AM

Pack plenty of water. You will have a great time.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:08 AM

While I love traveling with my wife, I go solo when it is work or when she cannot go. In either case, me solo or with my esposa, we rarely travel with other vehicles, almost never.

Not for any other reason than we just go to Baja when we can. Traveling solo also means you can stay as long as you want or move on when you want.

As for concerns about breakdowns... I own a Toyota, so that would be extremely rare. If something happens to your vehicle, a solution will arrive... and it will become a great fireside story when you do camp with others!

As for banditos... I feel safer camping in Baja than camping in the USA or even driving through some US cities!!!

All this comes from 55+ years of Baja traveling experience.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:22 AM

I retired in 2019 and enjoy traveling solo a lot! Last year in my attempt to drive to tip of S. America (only made it to Guatemala ... thanks COVID) I was initially apprehensive on taking on such a journey by myself, but quickly learned I love traveling solo and experienced the kindness of strangers on many many occasions. I was only once concerned for my safety on a remote Baja beach but after I got my bear spray on the ready realized the guy that was "sneaking" around in the brush was actually camping just over the ridge and only collecting firewood. Other than that false scare, not a single time was I worried for my safety.

My wife & I took ~4 weeks to drive to La Paz early this year where she flew back and I took my time driving back. She had never done a trip like that and absolutely loved it. Here's a video I put together of the trip that I've posted in this forum before. Only reposting as I've had many comments that "I'm going to show this to xxxx to show them Baja is not all scary but actually wonderful" and may be good to watch together with your husband.

I'm heading to Baja again later this month with 3 other vehicles and have mixed feelings. These are good friends just getting introduced to self driving Baja. The downside to me in traveling in groups is that you have to ask "do you want to go this way or do this / that" where when you are solo you go or do whatever you want without worrying about the others. May sound selfish (and probably is) but just my view.

I also find that when traveling solo I tend to make more friends along the way than if with someone else or in a group.

I do always carry a Garmin Inreach+ to make sure I can SOS if needed and have two way communication with others.

Use common sense and be friendly!

Of course, putting safety from "bad guys" aside, make sure you are self sufficient for basic repairs and extraction if stuck.

Go enjoy Baja!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 08:56 AM

Phil, that was an incredibly well-done video! :light::biggrin:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:24 AM

I have lived in baja for over 25 years and there are places I definitely would not remote camp.

My advice is talk to local people, ask the police, restaurant owners or the mayor of an area where it is safe to camp. I have received very important safety tips and warnings from locals. Dont take advice from tourists who say they have camped there with no problem. Of course not all campers in an area have issues but the locals know best where is safe and where is not safe to remote camp.
For example in our area on the central Pacific side, the fishing cooperatives have an excellent security patrol program of the whole beach coastline which discourages bad guys from coming to the area. They come and check you out too...they pass by a couple times a day which makes us feel very safe!

Also when you get that weird vibe...listen to your intuition and find another place.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:29 AM

Quote:

Phil, that was an incredibly well-done video! :light::biggrin:

Thanks! It takes a bit of time to put videos together but I like to look back at them occasionally and share as appropriate.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:48 AM

Shari, some of us camp where there are no 'locals'...

Just use your best judgement... get as far away from the highway or main road as you can. Thieves don't go driving around remote dirt roads at night, miles for civilization, looking for marks. Gas is expensive, after all!

When you leave your camp, leave it as clean (or cleaner) than you found it.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:59 AM

I agree with Shari 100%.

We live here. We know the scoop.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 09:59 AM

Usually the more remote, the better. I have generally traveled solo, but would rent a satellite phone "just in case". I now just use a Garmin InReach for any emergencies or if I break down in the middle of the desert. Now a days though... I feel like even the most desolate/remote areas will have someone drive through more often than not.

To be honest I have had 2 instances with drug runners in the last 3 years in a remote area along the central pacific. Both were very nerve wracking but they did their job and pretended like I wasn't even there. Do I go back there now? Nope. I prefer not to mention the location.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 10:05 AM

I wouldn't overnight without anyone else around. Driving during the day, sure, but before sunset, I would get to a manned RV park with others around.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 10:07 AM

You hit the nail on the head BooJumMan. The more remote, the more likely.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 11:12 AM

What a great video, hope you don’t mind I shared it with my kids.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Also when you get that weird vibe...listen to your intuition and find another place.

Yes! I call it "getting spooked". It's happened to me once and I moved on. Had to drive another 3 hours which I really didn't want to do, but once you're spooked, ya gotta go.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 11:31 AM

Get an InReach Mini. If you are concerned stick to places that have so level of traffic.

We need to help Geofff build that list of resources by region.

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 11:52 AM

Very cool video, I'm going add a few spots you stayed at to my list to visit! Stuff can happen anywhere. I've never had a problem in Baja but I try to pay attention to my surroundings.

I agree, the farther out you are the less likely you are to have a problem. Near big towns I would probably choose a local camp ground or property but I'd still go. Never gone with a group unless it was on Motos, never felt the need. Good luck and enjoy.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
We are getting to retirement age and have built a 2020 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison for overlanding (food, water, shade, shelter). I have David's map and I am ready to roll throughout Baja. My husband, however, not so much. He feels that heading into remote areas solo (just us) is not a good idea.

My question is, in your overlanding expeditions do you usually travel with others? Or do you in general feel safe when alone in remote areas? Have you run into people who may want to cause harm, or are they fairly non-existent in the middle of the desert?

Please don't rag me for this question, I am looking for honest answers I can pass on to my husband.

[Edited on 10-6-2021 by BajaMama]

sounds like your husband's mind is made up, I doubt he'll be swayed by these comments? a compromise is in order:yes: good luck!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 12:29 PM

Great tips ALL! In general is sounds safe to be remote, and I agree better to go with back up friends. My hubby keeps bringing up overlanding "tours" but it seems like a waste of money to me. Maybe when we pick a time I'll post to look for Nomads who may want to join us :)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.