Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: tips for a backpacker
fallenonearth

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 06:36 AM
tips for a backpacker

hola pople!

yesterday I bought tickets to Baja California!

I will arrive the 14th of Nov. It is only a one way ticket as I have two months in Mexico (and Guatemala) so I will be flexible about how long to spend there.

Honestly after spending few hours looking for info on internet....I feel like there is not much to see & do in Baja California. I hope to be wrong!

I am not interested about the party side, I am looking for nice and empty beaches, good diving, some authentic village, maybe a dessert.....

It looks like renting a car is a must. Is it? If yes maybe I would prefer to rent a van and be more free!

I hope about some good tips!

Thanks
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 07:36 AM

Are you arriving in Tijuana, Cabo, Loreto? If I were you, I'd start with any travel guide for Baja CA. I would assume your planning would include your next destination, i.e., getting to the mainland. You need to get to a different airport? Ferry dock? .. which would bear on your directional route and what to see/do. When you say "backpack" are you referring to the classic term where you are camping every night, have a stove, tent, food, etc. with you? Or will you be staying in hotels? If money is not too much of an issue, yes, rent a car for the entire time to maximize your experience. You can camp free or for $10/nt or less to offset car rental (ditto for Yucatan). Definitely not necessary to rent a van, a sedan will do. Also, see Baja Trip Reports on this forum for great information.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 08:14 AM

Look at David's travel info and guides on this site, lots of info. Also find some good articles on Baja bound insurance web site. You could spend the whole two months in Baja and not see much, there is a lot. Many small out of the way towns to visit with amazing beaches.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 08:36 AM

There are regular busses so it's possible to get around without renting a car.

Check out Cabo Pulmo if you want good diving, empty beaches and a really small village. You can probably get a shuttle.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 09:51 AM

My info. is 'from back in the day', not too applicable today.
On occasion I would
bus TJ/Cape. Then take the, at the time, Ferry from Cabo to Vallarta.
Pure adventure. Cheap Hotels, 7 dlls., allowed a lot of
freedom. I remember walking into Mex from Guatemala,
then bussing up the Pacific coast to Tijuana. Now airfares are
at times less $ than the bus. Carefree, just a guide book

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 12:01 PM

Their first post was last month and was supposed to be one week diving and whale-watching ("best week of the year"). Now it's 2 months "backpacking" though sounds more like a car camping, and will include Guatemala. Like others noted, there is no put-in point, no plans where and how he/she will cross to the mainland. This is going to be so much fun.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fallenonearth  
hola pople!

yesterday I bought tickets to Baja California!

I will arrive the 14th of Nov. It is only a one way ticket as I have two months in Mexico (and Guatemala) so I will be flexible about how long to spend there.

Honestly after spending few hours looking for info on internet....I feel like there is not much to see & do in Baja California. I hope to be wrong!

I am not interested about the party side, I am looking for nice and empty beaches, good diving, some authentic village, maybe a dessert.....

It looks like renting a car is a must. Is it? If yes maybe I would prefer to rent a van and be more free!

I hope about some good tips!

Thanks

you are right - not much to see in Baja.
Authentic villages?
meanic scenic, colorful with Spanish buildings?
not in Baja
skip Baja and start in mainland Mexico and you'll be really happy in Guatemala
good diving?
Google will guide you

make sure you'll post many videos with expert advice on youtube

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 12:22 PM

Well, you will find the deserts more appealing than most Baja desserts.

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 12:23 PM
Trolling for travel info?

Just as in the only other post by this author, there has not been a single response to any of the replies by Nomads hoping to help!

In that first post, the author states that they are a "freelancer". This sounds like a search for filler material for a travel article, without ever having to leave the comfort of the internet.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 12:29 PM

Reel in the catch...:biggrin:

A lot of info on the google....some folks should let their fingers do some walking before they ask others to do the work for them.

:light:

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by motoged]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Well, you will find the deserts more appealing than most Baja desserts.

Don't know 'bout that. Put some flan in front of me and it disappears really quick. Always appreciated.

Deserts? I dunno. Nice in the early morning or at sunset, maybe.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
fallenonearth

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 02:22 PM

hello people!
first of all: I am a bit disapointed, it looks like people in BC are not as welcoming as most of people I met my first time in Mexico. I read so much bad energy.

sorry if I am not an English native Speaker, I do my best, I am even bilingual but sadly my English is still so so.

and SORRY if I did not answer to the to other topic. I expected to get an e mail if someone was answering but it did not happen, my fault as I did not mark the box.
also this time I did not but I checked anyway

also looks like I have to give a lot of explanations to have some tips. wow.
so....by backpacker I mean I do not have a s hit about 4-5 stars hotels, about parties, about fancy things. I am a low budget traveler, but it does not mean I do not have money, I will super happy to spend it when it is worth.

I will arrive to DF the 10th and the 14th I can fly anywhere I want. The idea is to La Paz but I open to change my plans. I am flexbile, more than most of the pp here :)

then I will fly from anywhere to DF, then to Tuxtla and then I will get to Guatemala by land. No idea why you need to know it but happy to share!

I am freelance, I work in the film industry as Assistant Director. Dunno why you want to know it neither but I hope you will like!

so I am still here waiting for tips, if you have time and you are more relaxed.

Right now my main question is where I can rend a van with a mattress in the back.
Then, I have obviously googled too, I think that what I am looking for is between Loreto, La paz, Cabo Pulmo and Los santos.

grazie bella gente, nos vemos pronto!

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by fallenonearth]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 02:41 PM

Van rental with a mattress will likely be a challenge to rent anywhere in Mexico. Your travel plans seem practical and would be a trip you should certainly do. Suggestions re: bus travel, camping, and good locations to see have been offered, and represent a variety of suggestions.

Camping anywhere in Mexico takes some planning, primarily for security reasons. Baja is a lot different than mainland Mexico in many ways....the older colonial architecture may be found in some places, but old churches make up the majority of such structures.

Travel info for Baja seems to cater to a few cohorts: Cabo party mentality; off-road exploring by various means, and fishing. The folks on this forum represent all three....but less the Cabo illusion. As such, you are getting opinions here from seasoned (and opinionated) Baja aficionados.

You won't get response by email here unless you post an email address...but the U2U part of this forum allows semi-private communications.

Plan your trip with flexibility....enjoy Baja based on your interests....not those of others.

"Be yourself....everyone else is taken".... Oscar Wilde

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 02:49 PM

Wherever you go, you will have fun! The towns you mention are wonderful: La Paz, Cabo Pulmo and Todos Santos are all different.

Todos Santos is a mecca for artists. I am sure you go to town and ask at a restaurant, they can steer you to a campsite or beach.

La Paz is a big city and you can fly in and there will be taxis to take you in to town. Balandra beach is really nice, I do not know if you can park your van and sleep there. I have a ex student there who would love to spend time taking you places on the weekends.

Loreto is beautiful, there are amazing beaches north of it - some of the most beautiful in the world. Not sure what the temperature will be in November. You can camp at those beaches for a couple dollars a night.

If you do go as far as Loreto, and want to explore smaller villages, I recommend stopping by San Ignacio. There is a huge mission church, a square and some campsites. If you do go there, let me know and you can come to our village. It is called La Bocana and many places to camp and very nice people too!

U2U is the private message system. If you want individual answer to a question, you can always write to someone specifically!

I have no idea, sorry, if you can get a van, but there are many rental offices at all the airports you fly into. Are you Italian? This is your first visit to Baja but not to Mexico?

We ask question so that we can guide you to places you will enjoy. If you hate cities, then La Paz is not for you.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 03:07 PM

Fallen, Thank you for taking the time to fill in some blanks! There have been quite a few "first time posters" over the years that come to this forum, ask some questions, then never even acknowledge the many people that contributed helpful information.

My time is limited right now, but I hope to share a few thoughts on your interest in snorkeling later tonight, or tomorrow.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 03:14 PM

A good inflatable pad works as well as a mattress, with less space when deflated. A self inflatable, like a Thermarest Basecamp is even better.

Same with getting an inflatable pillow, compress down to a lacrosse ball size.

John
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 05:52 PM

Renting a van with mattress, really? I suggest you do your research on backpacking and car-camping forums. You will need a lot of items, not just something to sleep on.

If (IF!) you are serious, I would suggest renting a car - any car - and staying in low-end hotels between Mulege and Cabo. This is the only thing you can do with minimal or no planning.

[Edited on 10-11-2021 by Alm]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Renting a van with mattress, really? I suggest you do your research on backpacking and car-camping forums. You will need a lot of items, not just something to sleep on.

If (IF!) you are serious, I would suggest renting a car - any car - and staying in low-end hotels between Mulege and Cabo. This is the only thing you can do with minimal or no planning.

There may be a nomad or two who could rent out a van with a mattress…

Also ask on Facebook talk baja to reach wider audience.

Heck, I know some people here in San Diego with little used vans, they may rent to you and throw in a matttress.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AndyP
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 07:32 PM

Mainland Mexico and Guatemala are much better destinations than Baja for traditional backpacking style travel. They are cheaper and more varied, have better public transport options, more cultural attractions, better food, etc.

Baja is absolutely amazing for outdoor adventure travel. Just driving the peninsula and camping/exploring along the way is a good adventure. If you can explore via the water even better- I have years of backpacking experience all over the world, and the highlight of my travels are multi-month sea kayak trips on the Sea of Cortez. A lot of preparation goes into that sort of trip, it's not something people on a forum can guide you through. Consider setting aside the money for guided boat or kayak trips.

fallenonearth

[*] posted on 10-11-2021 at 02:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

hey there, you kind of BC God.

why should't I be serious? just tell me.

Ok, I will check other forums. But I will also just try to remember my trip when I went to New Zealand and bought a van :) yep, I also bought a lot of items, true. Just this time I do not need to save money and Mexican food is calling me more, so I feel like I could most of the times go to a rest, or street food, or bring something with me. I guess it is not that hard

I feel a bit treated like an idiot in this forum. Maybe I am, could be, but I am an idiot whom has been in more than 40 countries, probably some where you can't even point in a map. I have already been in Mexico, from Queretaro to Cancun (I hitchhiked the whole second part of my trip) but if do some many questions and maybe I sound a bit naive it is because BCS seems to be a little different than the Mexico I know.

this trip I am not almost thinking about money, I just want to understand the best way to be able to reach any possible nice place.

Yep, maybe a van is not needed ( I exptected it was usual to do BC by van, but looks it is not), a car with a tend could be enough. I still think a van is more confortable ( I find a person who has maybe one to rent) but I open to everything, just trying to understand.

another guy said that probably I have a youtube channel. I have been in the 7 seven modern wonders and I bet most of your friends take more photos in one day than me in any of those places :) I like to be arrogant too!

thanks to all those people whom just want to help, instead to try to look cool/haughty

still open to know about nices places where ignorant tourists don´t go as there is not fresh beer.

All the best!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.