Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stupid Trophy Hunts
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 01:47 PM
Stupid Trophy Hunts

I saw an Oregonian touting his world record great white he hauled in on hook and line in Kauii yesterday.. So why did he kill it and not release it? Why are people so ignorant as to still trophy hunt. They are "TROPHIES" and trophies are big. Bigger than your average run of the mill animal. We need them alive. Why?

Why are we ignorant?
Because in what we take, is in what lies the future. The pool of strong genes diminishishes through our selective harvest. Big animals need to reproduce big off-spring and overall this means a dynamic increase in size overall.
In mans' case this sometimes means the taking of any age or size of the animal, large or small.....old or young....
In our neighborhood they have a small-buck contest. I find that repulsive.

Will only the strong survive?
Is a crock, nothing eludes mans greedy self-satisfying quests.

So answer me oh wise Nomads...

do we need to keep the biggest of the big.................of everything.
Is it prudent for our offspring if we ? and take the behemoth now, worry later, or shall we discriminate and look at what we ARE taking more closely. Great white sharks along with myriad others are in a precarious situation as they are harvested heavily and photo-ops with world record dead animals not only looks stupid but is stupid in my opinion.

this is pretty stupid also:

Tourist who escaped shark attack faces legal action
By Steve Connor, Science Editor
01 April 2005

The British tourist trapped in a steel cage as a great white shark attacked is being threatened with legal action for damaging the diving business that organised his adventure.

White Shark Ecoventures in South Africa is considering suing Mark Currie, a retail manager from Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria, for loss of earnings following claims that he had exaggerated the attack that had occurred last December.

Mr Currie was in a specially built, half-submerged steel cage lashed to the side of a diving boat when a large great white shark began to circle after being lured with a head of a tuna fish slung over the side of the boat.

Without warning, the shark began to ram the cage he was in with open jaws. "I didn't have any breathing apparatus or even a snorkel but I instinctively tried to back myself into a corner of the cage under the water," he said.

"The captain of the boat was bashing the shark on the head with a metal pole, but that just seemed to make it worse. It was thrashing the water in a real frenzy," he said. Marietta Hopley, a co-owner of White Shark Ecoventures near Cape Town, said that she had taken sworn affidavits from the captain, dive master and other passengers who were on the vessel at the time of the incident.

They said that the incident did not happen as portrayed in the media, Ms Hopley said. For instance, the captain said that he had no recollection of hitting the shark over the head with a metal bar, nor did he remember anyone having to fight for their life or seeing a shark chew through the metal bars of the cage, Ms Hopley said.

Mr Currie said yesterday that he had not been contacted directly by Ms Hopley but he had heard that she intended to take legal action.

"The shark attacked the cage and everything that happened was true and I've got footage and photographs to prove it so I don't know what she could sue me for," Mr Currie said. "She says the cage was strong but I've got a picture of the cage afterwards where the shark has mangled it," he said.

Conservationists believe that the great white shark - one of the biggest marine predators - is unfairly vilified by the media, which often portrays them as aggressive creatures.

Experts at the Shark Trust, a conservation organisation in Plymouth, said that the great white shark was probably "mouthing" the cage out of curiosity or in response to aggression rather than a genuine attempt to attack and eat the person who was in it. "This event and its repercussions are most unfortunate. Such unfounded negative projection of sharks undermines the excellent work undertaken with the conservation community," said Richard Peirce, chairman of the Shark Trust.

"An opportunity to witness a white shark in the wild is a great privilege and its is a pity that the experience was a negative one for Mr Currie," Mr Peirce added.

"Given the immense predatory power and sophistication of great white sharks, it is clear that if one wanted to devour a human being it could always be successful," said the Shark Trust.

"Yet most people mouthed or bitten by great white sharks in fact survive. It is presumed that whatever the reason, when white sharks bite people, in the majority of cases it is not because they wish to eat them," it said. Mr Currie, meanwhile, has no regrets about his trip. "I enjoyed it. I'm glad it happened and I got away with it without a scratch. I will always remember it," he said

idiots!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 02:04 PM
oh, my!

another victim of the ferocious Killer Pilot Whale Shark

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 02:12 PM
Sharks..

I have forgotten where on the coast that photo was taken...I am pretty sure it was Oregon, but maybe someplace else. Do you know?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 02:20 PM
seen it somewhere?

but not sure where. I remember trying to figure out what it was..... not an orca...

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 02:39 PM
trophy white sea bass or black sea bass

and looked what happened to them.
Capn Strunk knows well the state of affairs. Iam impressed at his fortitude and guts.

I hope the plan goes thru also. It is the mindful fisherman who protectus thine seas. It is good to hear people moving towards that goal. It is such a global concern and when in International waters it really does become the skippers call.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 03:51 PM
Save the large egg-laying female fishes.

I would have thought most states already have in place a slot-size limit for game fish. I know in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Ontario..including Lake of the Woods, Mn. and others...all have slot size limits to protect the larger egg-laying females. Most of the fresh-water and salt-water fisherman I know practice catch and release with large females..re: dorado hens, cabrilla, grouper, etc. Bending down the barbs on your hooks is a good practice also...and is the law in a lot of areas of US and Canada. Fish barbless is catching on...

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 04:08 PM
"Survival of the Fitest"

Yes Sharks, that is the way of the world.
While living at San Nicholas I Whark Fished with Enrique Murillo and Others for the sake of making money to Feed the Families and yes I did keep a Trophy or Sorts The Mouth of the 800 Lb. Shark I caught and the meat was sold to Mesico city.
I proudly look at the jaws attached to my Wall not to "Say < Look at me"', but to remind me of the effort and companions with me in the effort of providing Food.

That said, I saw a very Large Trophy Big Horn go out of the Loreto Airport. the $15,000 Fee to the mexican Hunters provided for several Families.

To you it is "Stupid", to the Hunter it is "Glorious", to poor People it is "Food".
To the Planet it is "Survival".

What do we Do?

Skeet/Loreto
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 4-2-2005 at 04:10 PM
I hear if you

throw rocks at a beehive, you are likely to get stung.
Or in a cage with the whites, what exactly is supposed to happen?
Let's see, I want a thrill so I go in a cage to see sharks. I actually do and I pollute the water it is so "lifelike".
Then, I whine and complain and scare others away from doing the same thing?
Where do these people come from?

I no longer use a doctor because he was a "big game hunter" Disgusting to say the least!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 12:24 AM
deadeye Pompano

yep, can't miss, especially with all the clearcuts. Looks like Oregon. But is probably Colorado or Wyoming maybe Montana?

800yds, really?

Watch out Germanicus!:P:P

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.