Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Sierra San Francisco Cave Paintings Trip 10/2021
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 09:56 AM
Sierra San Francisco Cave Paintings Trip 10/2021

Just a quick report about our trip to see the cave paintings. While a trip has been on my mind, this was definitely a last minute adventure. My wife and I were in the process of finding someone in Vizcaino to build some circular stairs for our new addition (we found an awesome guy from Oaxaca) when my buddy Beto reached out to me about my contacts up in SSF.

Beto found out he had a week off from work and wanted to finally see the cave paintings for his birthday. I looked at my lovely, beautiful wife and without hesitation she insisted the kids and I join Beto. My wife just picked up two teaching gigs and had to stay behind.

I had three days to prepare our meals and get packed. Beto drove down from Ensenada and arrived at our place in Bahia Asuncion on Sunday. We normally stay the night before at Santa Teresa but the cabins are not available. I'm not sure but I think this might have to do with Covid. We woke up early and made the 2.5 hour drive my place. The sunrise was awesome!

This was my third trip down into the canyon but Beto's first. My kids rode mulas while Beto and I hiked. The trail was really rough due to the recent rains, lack of trips, and that they normally clean the trail in January. I was surprised when my friend/guide Chico told me he hadn't been down into the canyon in over two years.

In all we spent three days in the canyon. The weather was perfect and we had a blast. In addition to our two guides, Chico's son Rodrigo joined us. My kids had played with him before but it was wonderful to watch Chico teach his son how to guide.

I'm just going to leave a link to our photo album. It's long but I figured some might enjoy it. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tFWaijeiyFUucRKs7

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 10:23 AM

Super time, indeed... Great photos, Zac!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 11:10 AM

great pics!

Harald Pietschmann
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 11:20 AM

Wow what a wonderful trip. Pictures are great, thanks.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 12:20 PM

Those photos are EPIC!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 02:45 PM

Thanks everyone. Fyi, it's 250 pesos per day per mula/burro and 500 pesos per day per guide. There is a small entrance fee and charge for each camera.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 03:12 PM

Great report and pics. Love the burro with the cooler (beer burro?).
Bummer about the guide having no trips for 2 years.
What kind of food did you prepare?

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Great report and pics. Love the burro with the cooler (beer burro?).
Bummer about the guide having no trips for 2 years.
What kind of food did you prepare?

We learned after our first trip to take more beer than we think we'll need.

For breakfast, we took Costco muffins and coffee. In the past, we made a big breakfast but we realized it took valuable time away from the day. For lunch, my kids made pizzas and I made a smoked marlin pasta salad. For dinner the first night, we had chicken chili and the second night a hearty red lentil with Italian sausage stew. Costco cookies were a hit for after dinner. Oh, Amiga Paulina suggested we make our meals in advance and freeze them. This is a wonderful suggestion both for keeping beer cold but also for ease of preparation.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 09:06 PM

Amazing photos and information! The hiking part really got my attention, I'm an avid hike but don't care much for horses, they feel the same about me. My wife on the other hand is a 5th generation cattle rancher and loves horses, This could be the perfect trip for us.

Thanks for posting.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 04:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Amazing photos and information! The hiking part really got my attention, I'm an avid hike but don't care much for horses, they feel the same about me. My wife on the other hand is a 5th generation cattle rancher and loves horses, This could be the perfect trip for us.

Thanks for posting.

It's just over 6 miles from Guadalupe, where you drop off your car, to camp. The climb out is about 2.5 miles and climbs 1300 ft. If you're in good shape and feel comfortable on rocky terrain, go for it!

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 05:34 AM

I am going to have to put that place on my list.

Great report

Thanks
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 08:15 AM

Thanks Zac, those are great photos and glad to hear things are re-opening. Good idea to post the fees, but what's the deal with a camera fee?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Thanks Zac, those are great photos and glad to hear things are re-opening. Good idea to post the fees, but what's the deal with a camera fee?

Really....and does a smart phone count as a camera?

Aside from taking pictures or selfies, I can't think of a better time and place to leave the phone behind!

[Edited on 10-17-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  

In 2019, with Cameron's Trail of Missions Recon trip TV team, we were informed about the camera fee and had to negotiate or limit the cameras at San Francisco de la Sierra (Cueva del Ratón). They also had a rule about one guide needed for every 6(?) people (we had three guides).

Down near Mulegé, same trip, I don't think we had a camera restriction at San Borjitas and one guide was all that was required.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 11:28 AM

Baja Nomad comes through again thanks to Zak and the generous people here.

New bucket list item for the future.

After driving myself and some old college day friends to Cuevas Raton, and later guided by Zihul, thanks again to Shari, to Cuevas Del Carmen, this burro trip has sparked a further desire to see what the world was like thousands of years ago from this particular perspective.

That these opportunities are available again, with certain requirements that should respected, is a blessing for us and for those who live in these purposely insulated back country locales. Somehow they knew to back off for the time when they could be reassured to not have to suffer the pandemics consequences.

May it only continue to be so. Vaccinate, if not for yourselves, consider any who you come into contact with. These people of the earth deserve nothing less from us.

Rant over, for all the good it will do to some. Peace out.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 12:58 PM

I have done the Cueva Pintada trip endless times the last 35 years
not enough cold drinks was always the problem
one time we convinced some guys from Rancho Santa Teresa to go get beer for us
they ran up the canyon wall
they were back in 3 hours
the beer wasn't cold - but divine nonetheless

trip about 25 images in
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Travel/Baja-California-Ma...

Harald Pietschmann
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 02:11 PM

A bargain at any price! IMEO. :coolup:

True on beer. :lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 10:20 AM

Thanks for the trip report amigo! This is something that everyone should do at least once in their life! It is an experience like no other.

Great tip about freezing meals to use as ice in the cooler...brilliant!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bike4mee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 07:31 AM

If we drive up the road to guadalupe will there be
1. A place to camp
2. safe place to leave truck camper while we hike to cave paintings
3. Local guides to hire
4. Should we set this up before driving up the road
gracias
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 08:35 AM

Great report and certainly been of the bucket list for a few years now.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.