BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Current Fishing Conditions and Locations?
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 10:57 AM
Current Fishing Conditions and Locations?

Hi All:

Later this week I will begin my 4th driving trip around Baja Sur - starting in San Jose (where my Tacoma and popup camper are parked in storage). I will be hitting spots on both the Gulf side and Pacific Side. I will be driving as far north as Bahia de Los Angeles. I don't have a fixed schedule or time frame or itinerary.

A top priority for this trip is catching fish. I have very limited experience (and success) shore fishing across my previous 3 driving trips over the past 12 months. I have not yet hired a panga, as the conditions have always been either too windy and/or too scorching hot and/or poor results for the boats I have observed coming back in.

I have salt water spinning reels and many types of lures that have been recommended and all kinds of tackle in my truck. I just need to figure out where to throw my line in the waters.

So - would anyone be willing to share suggestions for fishing locations that might yield success in late October and the 1st few weeks of November (hopefully before the North Winds begin)?

Thanks! Doug
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 11:06 AM

Where do you store your rig at in Baja Sir when you aren't using it? We might to the same thing from time to time?
Sorry I'm a nob saltwater guy as well so no help.
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 11:56 AM

Anchor Storage - right across the street from the San Jose airport. Secure facility, nice staff with some english speakers, free cab rides to and from the airport. $60 per month per vehicle for outside storage. Perfect set up.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 12:12 PM

That is the perfect time of the year to be out on the water

Drive up the well graded road from La Paz to San Evaristo. You'll find ocean front camping and a panga to take you out.

Really pretty drive up there and the islands off shore are spectacular.

[Edited on 10-17-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 12:16 PM

That time of year from shore halibut should be pretty easily had. A 5/8 or 3/4 oz Krocodile is what I always use but any wiggly flashy kind of thing will be fine.

Find beaches that end in rocks at either end or have rock outcroppings on them. Halibut like sandy gravely bottoms and spotted bay bass, grouper and the sort like the rocky shoreline but you never know what will be where.

If you see water and you can get to it, fish will probably be there at some point in the day. Early morning and evenings as the sun is going down are prime as well as high tides. I usually find if I'm camped for a few days it helps as you get to learn what the fish are doing on a daily basis. Don't discount fishing at night either just watch for coyotes that might sneak up and try to steal fish you have laying on the beach.

If you're going as far as Bahia de Los Angeles, go 42 miles south on the dirt and camp out at San Rafael for a few days. Fish the beach at high tide and out on the rocks at low tide, I've never stayed there without catching plenty to eat as well as taking a few home too.

Report back and tell us how you did but remember, the important thing is to have a line in the water, often.

IMG_8854.jpg - 311kB

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 02:52 PM

Thank you all! Great suggestions. I will report on my attempts, and hopefully post some pictures :)
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

If you're going as far as Bahia de Los Angeles, go 42 miles south on the dirt and camp out at San Rafael for a few days. Fish the beach at high tide and out on the rocks at low tide, I've never stayed there without catching plenty to eat as well as taking a few home too.

I just checked a couple of online maps (my great National Geographic maps are in the glove compartment of the Tacoma). Is this camp spot near: Camp Gecko? La Mona? Please advise. Thanks!
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 03:25 PM

Can you still camp at San Rafael? Seems like I remember hearing beach access was limited? Hope I'm wrong.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 07:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug Landolfi  

I just checked a couple of online maps (my great National Geographic maps are in the glove compartment of the Tacoma). Is this camp spot near: Camp Gecko? La Mona? Please advise. Thanks!

You head south out of town, past the cemetery, you'll be on the dirt. From the start of the dirt go to km 72 ish and turn left. Cant miss it, it's a well traveled road that goes to the water in about a quarter mile. There used to be a sign when Pancho was still alive that said San Rafael, not sure it is still there but it's the only place that road touches the water.

The beach access that was limited, read closed, was the access about a mile north where people would drive through a wash to the beach and camp. Bikes and golf carts would cut thru there and ride down the beach to where the road comes in. As far as I know the beach at Pancho's is still wide open.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 07:15 PM

Sweet. That is a primo spot for camping. Great recommendation.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 07:36 PM

I stopped by Pancho's old camp on my way north last November. His camp area appeared to be in use by either a construction crew, or fishermen, or both. I had intended to camp near there, but the vibe was not good, and there was a large dog that didn't seem to like mine.

The area just north of his place was not just closed to fishing, it had a sign posted that was a passport, in a red circle with a line through it. Pretty clear that it meant "No Tourists".

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 07:37 PM

I'm goin to stop in there on my way south for the 1000 in a couple weeks to check it out, I'll report back what I find. Last time I was there the jefe from the rancho across the road was moving into Pancho's shack and seemed like they were going to be there a while. Incidentally, his name was also Pancho and a super nice guy.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 07:53 PM

I'm goin to stop in there on my way south for the 1000 in a couple weeks to check it out, I'll report back what I find. Last time I was there the jefe from the rancho across the road was moving into Pancho's shack and seemed like they were going to be there a while. Incidentally, his name was also Pancho and a super nice guy.

If things come together for me this next week, I may be headed down that way before you get there. I will check it out again, since you say there may be another friendly Pancho, but the last time I was there, I did not see anyone with a smile on their face.

I should also clear up my statement about the dog. It was not at Pancho's palapa, it was with a fisherman camped on the beach with gear.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 08:36 PM

Doug I would pass on the whole midriff area, its a long way to go to get blown off the water to catch taco bass and leopard grouper. head out to the vizcaino and fish Asuncion, La Bocana, rip some yellowtail lips:coolup:
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 09:01 PM

Early November the wind shouldn't be bad on the SoC.

[Edited on 10-18-2021 by JZ]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Doug I would pass on the whole midriff area, its a long way to go to get blown off the water to catch taco bass and leopard grouper. head out to the vizcaino and fish Asuncion, La Bocana, rip some yellowtail lips:coolup:

You'll have to rent a panga for yellowtail. If they're in.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 10:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

If things come together for me this next week, I may be headed down that way before you get there. I will check it out again, since you say there may be another friendly Pancho, but the last time I was there, I did not see anyone with a smile on their face.

I should also clear up my statement about the dog. It was not at Pancho's palapa, it was with a fisherman camped on the beach with gear.

Cool, looking forward to your report. We may stay there a night on our way down and maybe on the way back up too.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 04:07 AM

Lopez Mateos for Wahoo, yelllowfin tuna, Dorado and Marlin.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug Landolfi  

A top priority for this trip is catching fish.

In this case you should really try to do your fishing, both from the beach and from a panga, on the Pacific side. The area from Bahia Tortuga south to Mag Bay is your best bet by far and the fishing there far surpasses anything on the Cortez side, especially from the beach.

If you can, as Mula said, try Mag Bay, either Lopez Mateo or Puerto San Carlos. Lopez is closer to the "ridge" and the wahoo but San Carlos has some panga operators who are more affordable than Lopez center console type boats and although the wahoo is best on the ridge in San Carlos the tuna, dorado and especially the marlin are game on right now in San Carlos.

For beach fishing both bait and spoons work well on the Pacific side and the weather now is nice, although it has been a bit windier than normal this fall season.

Most of the people who recommend the Cortez side of the peninsula on this thread are not what you would call avid fisherman. The avid baja fisherman knows that the Pacific side is still capable of turning out one of the good old days of fishing in Baja today!

Regardless of what you decide, have fun and post a report please. Good Luck!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 10:05 AM

Here in Bahia Asuncion our fishing season is just cranking up. Fishing heats up when the lobster traps have lots of stinky bait in them attracting fish closer to shore. Yellowtail are big and plentiful these days and other species are calicos, bonita, a few tuna, witefish.

Shore fishing is fantastic this time of year...my pal Mark had a fish every cast just north of Asuncion...secret spot!

Its a gorgeous time of year on the central Pacside and great fishing also in La Bocana & Tortugas!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.