BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Current Fishing Conditions and Locations?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 10:12 AM

For beach fishing on the Pacific side use sand crabs. These can be dug up easily for the schools are enormous. The most productive artificials on these beaches are Berkeley sand worms. Buy them in the states before coming down. You can also use cut frozen sardines. That’s what the locals use.

Shore fishing also is good in the lagoons but access is a bit trickier. Plastic grubs work best in these areas.

Although the fishing is better on the pacific side the Cortez side is far more beautiful. Therefore it’s more enjoyable there. The better fishing on the Cortez side are usually the steep rocky ledges at either end of those cobblestone coves. You have to really drive far from the highways though these days.

Purchase a copy of The Baja Catch. It’s dated but still useful.
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 12:05 PM

This thread has turned into a VERY helpful and interesting discussion! Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

On my 2nd Baja trip back in February 2021, I did visit Bahia Tortuga and Mag Bay, but was focused upon getting to Ojo de la Liebre for whale watching, so never put a line in the water.

I have heard from a few fellow travelers on my trip that the Pacific along the stretch including Tortuga and Mag Bay is great for fishing. I am so glad that my timing will be good!
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Here in Bahia Asuncion our fishing season is just cranking up. Fishing heats up when the lobster traps have lots of stinky bait in them attracting fish closer to shore. Yellowtail are big and plentiful these days and other species are calicos, bonita, a few tuna, witefish.

Shore fishing is fantastic this time of year...my pal Mark had a fish every cast just north of Asuncion...secret spot!

Thank you! Those are some impressive Yellowtail! For shore fishing as you describe, what lures and/or baits do you recommend?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 05:06 PM

the yellowtail were caught from a panga but within a mile of shore. We have halibut, corbina, corvina, croakers, some sand sharks etc. from shore.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
the yellowtail were caught from a panga but within a mile of shore. We have halibut, corbina, corvina, croakers, some sand sharks etc. from shore.

Hi Shari - Do you own the spectacular inn out on the point of Bahia Asuncion?
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Purchase a copy of The Baja Catch. It’s dated but still useful.

I just ordered a copy of The Baja Catch. It won't arrive before I leave this Friday, but my wife can send me photos of key pages when I have cell coverage, as I work my way from south to north :)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 03:49 PM

There are times when you can catch small bonito and even yellowtail from shore near Asuncion. But you need really long casts. There are Yozuri lures that are weighted at one end that you jerk at or near the surface. You will need a large spinning rod with braided line that's no thicker than 20lb. The local here catch corvina and small bonito from shore. This occurs when the bait is in thick and birds are diving just outside the waves.

The Baja Catch is really a book for close to shore fishing from a boat. However, the maps could be useful for a shore fisherman. I'm not aware of a book on shore fishing baja. There is a good forum for beach fishing for southern californians. There is a lot of good fishing information there.

On the Cortez side the two Punta Arenas have really good fishing from shore. You can catch more powerful fish there: pompano, jack crevalle, ladyfish, sierras, and even roosters if you're lucky. Use Krocs. I also had luck with squid purchased in La Paz. One Punta is near the south end of Cerralvo Island and the other is between La Ribera and Cabo Pulmo. The Baja Catch has maps of both Arenas.

Tight Lines, as they say.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 04:02 PM

I'm not aware of a book on shore fishing baja.

This one is/ was excellent:

Tom Miller, author of The Baja Book and Western Outdoor News writer had picked up the job following the passing of Ray Cannon (The Sea of Cortez author). So many great stories and great people back then!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 04:29 PM

don't expect much from Gene and Neil, their thing was trolling jointed minnows for inshore reef fish, I get everyone's got their own program but come on, who does that!:(
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 09:51 AM

Once again, a big THANK YOU to each of you who has contributed to this thread. I appreciate all of the GREAT information. I am an experienced river fly fisherman here in my home state of Colorado, but I am a rank amateur regarding salt water fishing generally, and in Baja specifically.

David K - I understand from my friend Mother of Dragons that you are the Wizard behind this wonderful site. A question: Given that I am about to start my 4th driving trip up and down the peninsula in the past 12 months, and typically stay in Baja for about a month each trip, am I still a "Junior" Nomad? Is there a next step up this illustrious ladder??
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 10:09 AM

On the Cortez side the two Punta Arenas have really good fishing from shore. You can catch more powerful fish there: pompano, jack crevalle, ladyfish, sierras, and even roosters if you're lucky. Use Krocs. I also had luck with squid purchased in La Paz. One Punta is near the south end of Cerralvo Island and the other is between La Ribera and Cabo Pulmo. The Baja Catch has maps of both Arenas.

Is the Punta between La Ribera and Cabo Pulmo Punta Colorado? If yes, I am familar with the turnoff to get to that point, as I have driven by it a few times on my trips to Cabo Pulmo for diving.
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 10:12 AM

..... whoops - stupid question. I see the Punta Arena you mention on the map. Sorry.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 11:08 AM

Since you like to flyfish ...

You can flyfish from shore in Baja as well. Most of the notoriety goes to flyfishing for roosters in the East Cape. In my opinion that's very difficult. But the Pacific lagoons offer good opportunities for small fish. You need a floating line and a shrimp like pattern for spotted bay bass. A sardine pattern that has a lot of flash will get corvina. La Bocana has some good access points from the salt flats. Look for turtle grass for spotted bay bass. Fish the channels during low tide for the corvina. Lots of action but the fish aren't very big. A 6wt rod is big enough. You'll also get halibut and corbina in these lagoons.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug Landolfi  
I am an experienced river fly fisherman here in my home state of Colorado, but I am a rank amateur regarding salt water fishing generally, and in Baja specifically.

Every year on our visit to our in laws in Colorado we are dragged up to Deckers by my brother in law, another avid fly fisherman. Nice scenery, small fish!

Take your fly rod and if you get as far south as Mag Bay you will find a very active fly fishing scene in October and November, both inside the vast estero system and offshore for marlin, wahoo, tuna etc.

Skipjack gives good info and you know the match the hatch mantra.
In Mag Bay that means shrimp! Nothing beats live shrimp when fishing the estero systems of Baja.

Again, good luck and post a report please when you can. Tight lines!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 02:23 PM

Once again, a big THANK YOU to each of you who has contributed to this thread. I appreciate all of the GREAT information. I am an experienced river fly fisherman here in my home state of Colorado, but I am a rank amateur regarding salt water fishing generally, and in Baja specifically.

David K - I understand from my friend Mother of Dragons that you are the Wizard behind this wonderful site. A question: Given that I am about to start my 4th driving trip up and down the peninsula in the past 12 months, and typically stay in Baja for about a month each trip, am I still a "Junior" Nomad? Is there a next step up this illustrious ladder??

LOL... please don't give me that much credit. This site is owned and totally operated by Doug Means, who has the handle, 'BajaNomad' here.

You go up in status levels by posting more!

There is a link at the top of the page called FAQ and in there, look for "What are user ranks?"

You need to have 100 posts to become a full-adult 'Nomad' :lol:
Here is what you will find there:

Newbie 0 Posts
Junior Nomad * 25 Posts
Nomad ** 100 Posts
Senior Nomad *** 500 Posts
Super Nomad **** 1000 Posts
Ultra Nomad ***** 2500 Posts
Elite Nomad ****** 5000 Posts
Select Nomad ******* 10000 Posts
Platinum Nomad ******** 20000 Posts
Honored Nomad ********* 40000 Posts

With over 60,000 posts, I am in the 'secret' level, called 'Sicko Nomad'! :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-20-2021 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 02:55 PM

Two tips...Cheri King/Mula in Lopwz Mateos ----Mag Bay and Shari Bondy in Asuncion. Warm water and good condit
ions right now!
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 03:05 PM

Right now in Lopez 300 live bait shrimp costs 1500 pesos.
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2021 at 11:39 AM

More and more GREAT pieces of advice!! Thank you!! My flight leaves at 6:55AM tomorrow, and I can't wait to get my line in the water :)

Looks like I will be a "Junior" for awhile :)

Based upon the fly fishing advice above, I am now packing two 6 weight fly rods, to give that a try in addition to my spinning gear in the truck.

Don Jorge - Deckers is too crowded for me. So many people from the Denver area view Deckers as their "Go To" location. Ask your brother in law to take you to the Taylor River in central Colorado, and the Gunnison into which the Taylor flows. The trout are still smaller than roosterfish and yellowtail ;), but fewer people, beautiful water, and strong native fish
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2021 at 10:28 AM

As suggested, yesterday I fished from shore at the Punta Arena lighthouse east of La Ribera. I got some hits on a green and silver Kroc. Unfortunately, my hook sets were not up to par, and they threw the lure. The one that jumped was a Sierra.

Not many bait boils, but I tried to cast into the few that I saw. I will be back ....

I am trying to post some pictures, but I am not seeing that function
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2021 at 11:15 AM

I am trying to post some pictures, but I am not seeing that function

The following is in the top post on the Nomad Photo forum:

To post photos from your Pictures folder on your computer...

Go to www.Postimages.org, make an album if you want to organize your photos to find them easily in the future (by date or by subject). No cost to use Postimages.org.

Change the upload setting from "Do not resize my image" to 640x480 (recommended for forums) or 800x600 (max. on Nomad). You click on the little arrow to see the size choices.

Click "Choose images" and select the photos you want to put on Nomad from your Pictures folder.

Click on the image you want on Nomad and click on "Share" at the top of the screen.

Choose "Hotlinks for forums" (down next to the last one). You can click the little box at the right end of the link and it is now saved on your mouse.

Go to Nomad and paste that link onto the place where you are typing on Nomad. You can put text in below the photo for a caption or your post and if you double space between photo links (for clarity), you can put several photos and captions in a single post on Nomad. You can click "Preview" on Nomad to check and see how it will look before posting to the board.

If you need to fix a post after it is done, click on "Edit" along the edge of your post, and change or delete your post. If you edit more than once, you can delete the previous Edited on tags so only one edit tag will appear after you edit the post.
==============================================================

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.