Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Drive Time from Mexicali to Guerrero Negro
RobbyZ

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 08:13 PM
Drive Time from Mexicali to Guerrero Negro

Can you guys tell me what the drive time is. I have heard it is fast, but would like to hear from personal experience.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 10:01 PM

Rushing down Baja to see Cabo is not the way to go.

Cabo is nice and all, but far, far from the best spot in Baja.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 05:08 AM

6 hours is probably a safe guess... But, we would never do it in a single day. Beautiful beaches south of San Felipe beckon one to camp there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 07:35 AM

Google maps say 8hrs 25 mins.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 09:11 AM

7 hrs with fuel stops only
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
6 hours is probably a safe guess...

A guess?

7 hours for me, not a guess.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 09:55 AM

For us not driving over 100KM/HR 2+ Hours to San Felipe and 4 HRs to the 28th depending on road work.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 01:22 PM

Like DavidK, I'd also recommend stopping overnight in the San Felipe area.

The process of crossing the border in Mexicali always takes more time than I'd like. Don't forget to allocate time for border inspection, getting your permits, paying your fees, etc.

What I usually do is camp somewhere within an hour of Calixico in the US, cross the border in the morning, get any groceries I might need in Mexicali, then eat some street tacos for lunch. Then the long drive to San Felipe, and a bit farther south to camp at Percebu (Shell Island). I get there in late afternoon, perfect for setting up camp.

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
Like DavidK, I'd also recommend stopping overnight in the San Felipe area.

why make an easy 1-day drive into 2 days?

you can leave san diego at sunrise and easily be in GN in late afternoon.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
For us not driving over 100KM/HR 2+ Hours to San Felipe and 4 HRs to the 28th depending on road work.

Right... with stops and not towing or driving a motorhome.
If towing or driving a M/H 7-8 hrs.

Given that the Goat drives Baja so much (have you seen all his trip reports and photos)? I will bend my guess to 6-7 hours.

Approx. miles:
Mexicali to San Felipe: 125 mi
San Felipe to Chapala: 130 mi
Chapala to Guerrero Negro: 115 mi
Total: 370 miles... That is very little driving in mountains and almost no 'local' (town) traffic other than crossing Mexicali and San Felipe.

The kilometer posts are a fun thing to figure out on your drive!
Highway 5:
*Mexicali Km. 0 is 5 miles (8 kms.) south of the west border crossing.
*Km. 191 is the traffic circle in the center of San Felipe, where you turn right to continue south to Puertecitos, Gonzaga Bay, Hwy. 1/ Chapala.
*Km. 0 is 6 miles (10 kms.) south of the traffic circle, where you turn left off of the airport road.
*Km. 147 is the Gonzaga Bay gas station
*Km. 168 was changed to Km. 171, with the rest of Hwy. 5 reading 3 kms. more than the true distance.
*Km. 201 + is the end of Highway 5 at Laguna Chapala (Hwy. 1 Km. 233.5).

Highway 1:
*Km. 233.5 Highway 5 junction, Laguna Chapala
*Km. 282/ Km. 0 Bahia de los Angeles junction. Here Hwy. 1 kilometer markers reset to zero!
*Km. 95 + Villa Jesus María, gas station.
*Km. 127/ Km. 220 Eagle Monument/ State Border/ Mountain Time. Here the kilometer markers work the opposite direction and decrease to zero at Santa Rosalia
*Km. 219 Ag Inspection Station. Pay 20 pesos to drive over a spray strip to kill bugs under your car. In the distant past, INM was set up just before here to check your FMM.
*Km. 216.5 Guerrero Negro 'Y' junction. The town is to the right, Vizcaino, San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, is to the left.

Got it? LOL Have fun!! :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 03:03 PM

I guess no one else stops every 20 miles to relieve themselves and grab another freshy from the box!:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

Right... with stops and not towing or driving a motorhome.
If towing or driving a M/H 7-8 hrs.

Given that the Goat drives Baja so much (have you seen all his trip reports and photos)? I will bend my guess to 6-7 hours.

Approx. miles:
Mexicali to San Felipe: 125 mi
San Felipe to Chapala: 130 mi
Chapala to Guerrero Negro: 115 mi
Total: 370 miles... That is very little driving in mountains and almost no 'local' (town) traffic other than crossing Mexicali and San Felipe.

Only a fool would drive the mountain sections between Chapala and GN at 60mph. And how fast would you drive through Mexicali where you pass numerous traffic signals and stop signs? Listen to geofff and take his advice. I have a spot near the BOLA turnoff that I favor. Assuming you have camping facilities. I suppose one of the good things about driving hwy 1 is that there are far more motels and restaurants along the way.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 05:38 PM

I rarely travel on a schedule with my stopping points planned out. I stop and let the dog run around at least a couple of times a day, and I am always looking for a road or trail that could lead to someplace interesting.

If it is late in the afternoon, I might luck out and find a nice, private place to camp. Other times, I might wind up spending the night in a gravel pit left over from road construction, or by an abandoned building.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 06:07 PM

I love when I see a topic and go "hey, that's just what I need/was wondering" and it seems like a simple, fairly straightforward thing. But then you click through and get 15 opinions from 11 different nomads, and are left trying to figure out who you trust.

At least David usually puts up some nice pictures, and he drives a Toyota, so....:lol:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 06:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Other times, I might wind up spending the night in a gravel pit left over from road construction, or by an abandoned building.

Yes!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Been there more than once.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 08:01 PM

GN to mexicali is an easy 1 day drive at a moderate pace.

Those of you with prostate or kidney problems are the exception, most people dont need to stop/pee every 30 minutes.

[Edited on 10-19-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 08:35 PM

If needed it can be done, no doubt! As many have said it's nice to slow down and see the sights, plus it's Baja so why rush.
Many opinions and options given depending on your style of travel, that's one of the things I like about this site. We travel with two dogs and tend to take our time to stop, play and look around often.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 06:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
If needed it can be done, no doubt! As many have said it's nice to slow down and see the sights, plus it's Baja so why rush.
Many opinions and options given depending on your style of travel, that's one of the things I like about this site. We travel with two dogs and tend to take our time to stop, play and look around often.

If one wants to slow down and see the sights, they should take 1 and not 5.
The drive on 5 from Mexicali to pertecitos is ugly compared to the corresponding drive on 1.
5 route is just for saving time,…

Woke!

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 06:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

If one wants to slow down and see the sights, they should take 1 and not 5.
The drive on 5 from Mexicali to pertecitos is ugly compared to the corresponding drive on 1.
5 route is just for saving time,…

You should write a travel guide Goat.
I have the title for you already--Goat Chit!

I like beer, better than most people.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 07:24 AM

Saw a post over on f-book by some guy who said he drives Mexicali to Guerrero Negro in 6 hours, for an average speed of 62 miles per hour. In other words, to make up for the slow sections, checkpoints, etc. he is driving 75-80. With the current excellent condition of the 5, I can believe it, but that is a little too fast for Baja, in my opinion. I like to cruise along around 65, its a lot easier to correct in an unexpected situation than when going 80. Why turn a trip to Baja into a nerve wracking speed race to arrive at your destination a half an hour sooner? The Federales sometimes set up a speed trap approaching San Felipe, too.

[Edited on 10-19-2021 by bajaric]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.