Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Marijuana Southbound Thru TJ - Not a Good Idea
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 03:31 PM
Marijuana Southbound Thru TJ - Not a Good Idea

Well, 3 of my associates recently did a surf trip to K-38 and decided they'd bring some weed with them. They didn't spend too much time hiding it. They literally shoved it in their backpack and cruised across an International Border. The customs lady could smell it. She asked,"Any Mota?" "No...no.....no....never!" was there reply.

She started searching the truck and the first thing she opened was their backpack and behold - found a 1/4 ounce of weed. They admitted it was theirs and spent about 2 hours at the border facility before being deported back into the northbound border line, back the USA.

The moral of the story is don't bring smelly weed across the border. What I learned from this story is Mexico has OK weed laws these days.......these guys weren't thrown in jail over a little grass. And they tried the whole "I thought weed was legal in Mexico" thing but that didn't work.

[Edited on 10-19-2021 by Ateo]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 04:06 PM

Hard to believe they didn't know!
So, they re-crossed, weed free?
Good thing they didn't go to the San Ignacio checkpoint! LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 04:24 PM

their plan was sound.......execution not so much! :coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 05:32 PM

Great to hear there wasn't a more severe reaction.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hard to believe they didn't know!
So, they re-crossed, weed free?
Good thing they didn't go to the San Ignacio checkpoint! LOL

Yep. They initially went across at San Ysidro but after they got deported they decided to try ti cross at Otay. They made it back across into Mexico - no problems. But with no weed. Which is a problem for them. :)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Well, 3 of my associates recently did a surf trip to K-38 and decided they'd bring some weed with them. They didn't spend too much time hiding it. They literally shoved it in their backpack and cruised across an International Border. The customs lady could smell it. She asked,"Any Mota?" "No...no.....no....never!" was there reply.

She started searching the truck and the first thing she opened was their backpack and behold - found a 1/4 ounce of weed. They admitted it was theirs and spent about 2 hours at the border facility before being deported back into the northbound border line, back the USA.

The moral of the story is don't bring smelly weed across the border. What I learned from this story is Mexico has OK weed laws these days.......these guys weren't thrown in jail over a little grass. And they tried the whole "I thought weed was legal in Mexico" thing but that didn't work.

[Edited on 10-19-2021 by Ateo]

Proving (again) that smoking pot makes you stupid!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 08:49 PM

Got a new Baja travel pal. One of the first things I asked him: Do you bring weed? He said "ziss a problem? I said quite so , do not bring weed. Well, he says he doesnt. We will caravan in seperate vehicles.
What Goat said...
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 08:50 PM

Moral of the story, kill the smell and keep it out of sight and you'll probably be fine.

Sounding more and more like it will be rec. legal here soon.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Great to hear there wasn't a more severe reaction.

Yeah, really! Whew... I had assumed much worse.

-- Geoff

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 09:56 PM

I got dog-sniffed the last time I crossed through Mexicali a couple years ago. I wasn't ballsy enough to outright ask them what the dogs were actually searching for.

What do you think? Guns?

I had thought pot, but if they are only going to slap you on the wrist and send you back home, it doesn't seem worth using dogs.

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 10:17 PM

Honestly, you have to be pretty effin stupid to think you can cross international borders with drugs.
bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 06:59 AM

The last time I was in secondary I asked an aduana agent working with a dog what they looking for and he simply said "dinero". Makes sense.

Traveling Baja for 50 years.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 09:30 AM

Got a short weed story...

In early 1984, I went to Posada Don Diego (Colonia Vicente Guerrero, north of San Quintín). I was 25 at the time and driving a 1980 Subaru 4x4 wagon. It was a pretty nice campground and RV park with a restaurant (still is more or less). Tom and Shirley Miller (Mexico West Travel Club) had a clam-digging/ fishing party for club members there.

I asked a co-worker from the aircraft/ military parts factory I was at that year if he would like to join me on the trip. He was from New Jersey and never been to Mexico. Knowing he was a pot smoker, I told him in no uncertain terms that marijuana was not legal and was met with harsh punishments in Mexico... DO NOT BRING ANY!

Fun day at the beach, good dinner that night, fireside story telling... a couple of single girls were there, too. I 'caught wind' that my friend invited his lady to go for a walk and smoke a joint.

The next morning, before he woke up, I found his baggie in my Subaru. I was so furious he violated my wishes/ conditions, and risked us going to jail! That baggie was put in a trash can. I never said a word to him, but he wasn't invited on any future Baja trips.

After he was awake and when it was time to have some breakfast, he was looking puzzled, going through is bag, etc. I asked him if he lost something to which he denied... and that was then end of that!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

GeraldoS
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 09:55 AM

Marijuana is not legal in Mexico. It is decriminalized. Mexicans must apply for a permit from the country's health regulator, the Federal Commission for Protection against Health Risks (Cofepris). Foreigners need not apply. It is a federal crime to import it across the border. A foreigner with mota will be assumed to have imported it.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 10:39 AM

I found his baggie in my Subaru. I was so furious he violated my wishes/ conditions, and risked us going to jail! That baggie was put in a trash can. I never said a word to him, but he wasn't invited on any future Baja trips.

After he was awake and when it was time to have some breakfast, he was looking puzzled, going through is bag, etc. I asked him if he lost something to which he denied... and that was then end of that!

I would have been angry being lied to also.

Tossing your buddy's mota, and not discussing what you had done was dishonest and lacking in integrity.

Hopefully you've grown up since then David. He lied to you and you lied to him. Amazing.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Honestly, you have to be pretty effin stupid to think you can cross international borders with drugs.

Many thousands of people successfully cross with all types of drugs every day. I wouldn’t call them all stupid. Some are addicted. Some are just as smart as you and I but have other reasons for bringing their stash with them. But I understand the sentiment of your post. ✌️
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 04:00 PM

Lee shows us just why so many don't post here anymore. Judging my actions from almost 40 years ago, really?
The dope didn't belong in my vehicle, and since we were leaving that day, it couldn't be smoked before we left. Either he tosses it or I do, didn't matter. The right thing was done and nobody was harmed or made upset. I didn't stay angry and hold a grudge as long as we worked together, which was only a few more months.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 04:34 PM

Lee shows us just why so many don't post here anymore. Judging my actions from almost 40 years ago, really?
The dope didn't belong in my vehicle, and since we were leaving that day, it couldn't be smoked before we left. Either he tosses it or I do, didn't matter. The right thing was done and nobody was harmed or made upset. I didn't stay angry and hold a grudge as long as we worked together, which was only a few more months.

in your cuate's defense how many here would attempt a drive to the grocery store let alone a trip to baja with DK without being fully blunted? im thinkin' not many!:lol:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 05:39 PM

The dope didn't belong in my vehicle, and since we were leaving that day, it couldn't be smoked before we left. Either he tosses it or I do, didn't matter.

Sure he could smoke it all before you left…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 08:59 PM

Me the cause people don't post? Such as bullchit artist.

Your actions from 40 years ago don't translate well, Dave. Your words, maybe not intent, look pontificating, showing off, like you were punishing your friend in a passive way.

Yeah you were young then but it doesn't look like you learned anything since then. The mota wasn't yours to throw out. You don't get that. And not telling your buddy what you had done was dishonest. What don't you understand about being dishonest?

Don't bring up BS 40 years old if you don't want comments made here.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.