Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Read a city cop, large city I believe, in Mex makes approx. $800 dlls. a month,
one would assume smaller pueblos much less. Not sure
the 'go to the station to pay the fine', adds any legitimacy
to the transaction

If a cop can collect $400 usd per day by fleecing gringos, then he is making ok money.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 11:36 AM

Per the GOAT:

So, the wife of the bad cop gets used to the extra $400 per day.

Which is exactly why you gotta bring up the cop's wife in any discussions you have.

Always state this as the answer to any question or demand.

YOUR WIFE IS GOING TO KILL YOU, then just smile.

Es Todo Bueno
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 12:42 PM

Old white guys on the internet have opinions based on virtually no facts. What a surprise. Maybe could have weighed back in sooner, but I've been blissfully camping on the East Cape with my sweetie who flew down, away from the internet.

With the experience of 11 drives down over the past number years and many flights (and lots of other travel in Mexico and elsewhere) and my son's experience living in San Diego and driving down frequently for surf, with no prior incidents, I'll admit my guard was not as up as it maybe should have been. I was not aware of the "I know my rights" resoureces that this topic has revealed to me. In hindsight, I would have hidden my cash. These things are helpful. The rest, not so much.

No personal property was taken. But, for you tough guys, I did insist on going to the station. I was informed that I would have to be arrested and travel with them in their car, leaving my dogs. More disussion, and the discussion turned less civil. They very overtly turned off their dash cam, put my hands against the truck, threatened me with three days of detention then a $1000 fine upon release. They were also regularly on ther radio, so I don't know who else was involved. I suppose you tough guys would have then whipped out your Chuck Norris spinning back kick and showed them what's what like your daddy used to did. For me, $200 was easier. You might say it was my responsibility for the greater good to continue to resist andor follow up with the authorities, and that's fine, but I had a trip to get on with and I might offer an anti-vaccer/personal freedom analogy but I'd rather get back to the Baja real.

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TSThornton  
Old white guys on the internet have opinions based on virtually no facts. What a surprise. Maybe could have weighed back in sooner, but I've been blissfully camping on the East Cape with my sweetie who flew down, away from the internet.

With the experience of 11 drives down over the past number years and many flights (and lots of other travel in Mexico and elsewhere) and my son's experience living in San Diego and driving down frequently for surf, with no prior incidents, I'll admit my guard was not as up as it maybe should have been. I was not aware of the "I know my rights" resoureces that this topic has revealed to me. In hindsight, I would have hidden my cash. These things are helpful. The rest, not so much.

No personal property was taken. But, for you tough guys, I did insist on going to the station. I was informed that I would have to be arrested and travel with them in their car, leaving my dogs. More disussion, and the discussion turned less civil. They very overtly turned off their dash cam, put my hands against the truck, threatened me with three days of detention then a $1000 fine upon release. They were also regularly on ther radio, so I don't know who else was involved. I suppose you tough guys would have then whipped out your Chuck Norris spinning back kick and showed them what's what like your daddy used to did. For me, $200 was easier. You might say it was my responsibility for the greater good to continue to resist andor follow up with the authorities, and that's fine, but I had a trip to get on with and I might offer an anti-vaccer/personal freedom analogy but I'd rather get back to the Baja real.
That's the spirit. Sip, pay as you go civil service fees...average them out over all your trips ...ni modo.

And thanks for sharing your story. These tidbits folks share are a good reminder of what can happen and also what does happen when you brave this forums gauntlet of "Old white guys on the internet with opinions based on virtually no facts." :lol::lol::lol:

Salud!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TSThornton  

Your story is telling me that you are frequently traveling into Mexico as well as your son is traveling. You are pretending to learn about those incidents which happened to you. But you do not know the basics at all: No MX cop can take money on the spot. (well they can if the oponent is stupid enough - I egree) And even at the station... U.S. Dollars??? NO WAY!
So what is your Mexico bashing all about? Suggestion: Tonight, after the shower, look into the mirror ...................! Take care of yourself! :?::?::?:
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
in mexico its illegal to ride a bicycle without having both feet on the pedals...true story!:coolup:
That's funny! :lol:

Care to back it up with a source?

I can't guarantee its true though;)
https://www.stupidlaws.com/laws/countries/mexico/

hey Thornton I think you have BN pretty much figured out!:lol:

[Edited on 11-4-2021 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
coconuts
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 07:51 PM

TSThorton thanks for the story and info. I have taken yachts, flown my own plane and driven the peninsula at least 20 times and it is always something new. Thank again for your experience. My dog now ducks down every time we see the Policia

JC 43, why don't you quit bashing everyone and post some recent experiences of your own before given almost every post some negative comment. Like I said earlier in the thread with your knowledge of Mex and Baja you are guaranteed the governship of both BC and BCS.

Like I use to say for 30 years as an ATC when I switch some trouble making aircraft to departure, "Good Day SIR" and SIR certainly DID NOT mean Sir.

JC43 Good Day SIR
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  
TSThorton thanks for the story and info. I have taken yachts, flown my own plane and driven the peninsula at least 20 times and it is always something new. Thank again for your experience. My dog now ducks down every time we see the Policia

JC 43, why don't you quit bashing everyone and post some recent experiences of your own before given almost every post some negative comment. Like I said earlier in the thread with your knowledge of Mex and Baja you are guaranteed the governship of both BC and BCS.

Like I use to say for 30 years as an ATC when I switch some trouble making aircraft to departure, "Good Day SIR" and SIR certainly DID NOT mean Sir.

JC43 Good Day SIR

I am driving my Rolls Royce everyday up and down Baja only to catch the attention of the Police. If pulled over I pay before the officer can tell me what I did wrong. (Mostly with $300 notes - have bundled them into blocks of 10) But even better, I do fly from NOB to Cabo every week about 10 times learning a lot of what is going on at the border crossing of TJ, Mexicali or Otay and others. If I am NOB I use my chopper just to cross the border without permission to get attention of the MX Military.
What else? Let me think until tomorrow................................ :fire:
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2023 at 08:25 AM
Mexicali mordida still a thing

FYI, this sort of thing is definitely still going on. A few weeks ago, I got pulled over for swerving just a little, to avoid a car backing out of a parking spot. When I pled this to the cop at the window, he even admitted that he saw the car pulling out (maybe that driver was part of the scam?)

Anyway, I have read umpteen times that the only course is to suck it up and go to the station to pay the fine, so with a sinking feeling at losing at least a morning of the trip in the least attractive place on the route (Mexicali; is there anywhere worse?), I tried to accept the situation.

Only problem is, these cops weren't having it. They quickly turned up the heat in a way described above, with "more discussion, and the discussion turned less civil. They very overtly turned off their dash cam, put my hands against the truck, threatened me . . ." Suddenly it was "you have drugs? Eh?" and the pat-down and the full search, and all manner of half-comprehensible threats about searching my record over three days while I waited in jail, etc (my Spanish is good but not fluent).

It seemed to take forever to get to brass tacks as cars drove by and a few pedestrians walked by glaring. Once another cruiser drove by, which seemed to concern them and may have helped move things along.

The first number the guy floated was ridiculous. I had indeed made the mistake of carrying a quantity of cash with my passport, which they had fully found and fingered. In the end I gave them (effectively, they extorted) an amount smaller than half the first ask, and I felt "grateful" to get away from their harassment and the strong smell of bad cologne (sorry, but a real factor; took a while to get it out of the truck). It took about two minutes before I did exactly what one poster mentioned above -- averaging it out among my dozen trips down, and, in that context, finding it a pretty reasonable "mordida."

I got minorly lost on my way back to the sentri lane on the way home, and spotted another gringo, in another truck, in midafternoon, with the cops at his window in roughly the same place (the couple of turns after Calle de los Presidentes) and thought, "hope the guy does OK with that BS." OR maybe he ran a light :)

The oddest thing was how little I cared or even thought about this shakedown after getting on the road in the desert and getting the cab aired out. I decided not to talk about it while down there and just forget about it, but report as a PSA when I got back. Which is this :). Hopefully it helps someone, and for any internet trolls who want to argue with me or call me an idiot, please go bark at the mirror and leave me out of your sad drama.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-10-2023 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Read a city cop, large city I believe, in Mex makes approx. $800 dlls. a month,
one would assume smaller pueblos much less. Not sure
the 'go to the station to pay the fine', adds any legitimacy
to the transaction

Police on patrol in La Paz makes about $100 a week.

Harald Pietschmann
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2023 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
FYI, this sort of thing is definitely still going on. A few weeks ago, I got pulled over for swerving just a little, to avoid a car backing out of a parking spot. When I pled this to the cop at the window, he even admitted that he saw the car pulling out (maybe that driver was part of the scam?)

Anyway, I have read umpteen times that the only course is to suck it up and go to the station to pay the fine, so with a sinking feeling at losing at least a morning of the trip in the least attractive place on the route (Mexicali; is there anywhere worse?), I tried to accept the situation.

Only problem is, these cops weren't having it. They quickly turned up the heat in a way described above, with "more discussion, and the discussion turned less civil. They very overtly turned off their dash cam, put my hands against the truck, threatened me . . ." Suddenly it was "you have drugs? Eh?" and the pat-down and the full search, and all manner of half-comprehensible threats about searching my record over three days while I waited in jail, etc (my Spanish is good but not fluent).

It seemed to take forever to get to brass tacks as cars drove by and a few pedestrians walked by glaring. Once another cruiser drove by, which seemed to concern them and may have helped move things along.

The first number the guy floated was ridiculous. I had indeed made the mistake of carrying a quantity of cash with my passport, which they had fully found and fingered. In the end I gave them (effectively, they extorted) an amount smaller than half the first ask, and I felt "grateful" to get away from their harassment and the strong smell of bad cologne (sorry, but a real factor; took a while to get it out of the truck). It took about two minutes before I did exactly what one poster mentioned above -- averaging it out among my dozen trips down, and, in that context, finding it a pretty reasonable "mordida."

I got minorly lost on my way back to the sentri lane on the way home, and spotted another gringo, in another truck, in midafternoon, with the cops at his window in roughly the same place (the couple of turns after Calle de los Presidentes) and thought, "hope the guy does OK with that BS." OR maybe he ran a light :)

The oddest thing was how little I cared or even thought about this shakedown after getting on the road in the desert and getting the cab aired out. I decided not to talk about it while down there and just forget about it, but report as a PSA when I got back. Which is this :). Hopefully it helps someone, and for any internet trolls who want to argue with me or call me an idiot, please go bark at the mirror and leave me out of your sad drama.

Scary story for sure; thanks for sharing it. Sometimes wrong place, wrong time & not much you can do about it. I don't think there's a formula that works in every circumstance; you need to "read the room" and make decisions on the fly. How egregious were your actions? How aggressive is the cop acting? How much cash do you have? Do you have to get to your destination before nightfall? Etc. etc. I have been pulled over probably 6 times in 20 years and sometimes I pay, sometimes I don't.

I will say that once I started using the Sindicatura sticker I seemed to get pulled over less frequently (mostly happened on the mainland). My theory is that the cops would see that I was aware of the issue and decided it wasn't worth their time hassling with me; there are plenty of other Gringos who don't have a sticker. Sort of like a crook who cases a neighborhood and avoids the houses with a security system placard in the yard. Guaranteed to avoid a problem? No way. But it's a cheap deterrent.

In your case, if I had my hands on the trunk of my car and cops were saying "drugs?" I'd think long and hard before playing hardball much longer. Motorcycle "transito" cops who are solo are typically easier to play hardball with. You're right, better to average it out over the number of trips you take to Mexico and factor it in as the "price of admission". You made the right call under those circumstances.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2023 at 01:18 PM

"In your case, if I had my hands on the trunk of my car and cops were saying "drugs?" I'd think long and hard before playing hardball much longer. Motorcycle "transito" cops who are solo are typically easier to play hardball with. You're right, better to average it out over the number of trips you take to Mexico and factor it in as the "price of admission". You made the right call under those circumstances."

Good advice gallesram.

Speaking of motrocycle transito cops, I had an experience in November. I was leaving La Paz southbound towards Todos Santos on that long six lane stretch with all the stop lights. The moto cop lit me up for driving gringo in my 15 year old honda Pilot with SD plates. Something in me just snapped and I was having none of it. I started singing to the radio and proceeded along with traffic. He pulled up on the left side of me and bleeped his electric horn and waved me over. I saw this in the corner of my eye, but just kept driving, not giving him my attention. Soon he was behind me again as we negotiated the traffic and I just kept singing and driving. At last we stopped at a red light and he pulled up on the right side and rapped on the passenger side window. I looked over at him with the most distainful look I could muster and waved him off with the back of my hand. I looked back forward and in a moment I noticed he was gone.

For the next few miles I was in fear that I would encounter a road block or something, but as the minutes passed I got the best rush of euphoria! I totally disrespected that guy and I won!

I got away with it, but looking back I'm not convinced it was the best approach. Over the years I too have paid em off and talked my way out depending on the circumstances. Nobody can tell you from their couch which is the best route to take. Follow your instincts.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2023 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Nobody can tell you from their couch which is the best route to take. Follow your instincts.

gnu kid would argue that. My ideas are in line with his.

There are some basics. Hide the cash you carry. Keep things light. Smile, relax, speak like you know the cop and are happy to see them. Ask about the family. Something along those lines.

I've never been to ''the station'' and I'll never visit one willingly. Rationale is too long and any logic thinking you'll get justice or fairness there is naive.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2023 at 12:46 PM

I followed the cops to the station in Ciudad Constitution about 10 years ago on a parking shake down. They marched me past the desk and into a small room where the same cops proceeded to do the same negotiation we started on the street. We came to an agreement and I was on my way but it would have been easier and much quicker on the street. I agree with your "basics" Lee.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2023 at 04:15 PM

Definitely, I wish I had thought more about the basics as stated, "Hide the cash you carry. Keep things light. Smile, relax, speak like you know the cop and are happy to see them."

After so many trips with no issues, my guard was way down. In the future, less cash, hidden better, and lighter attitude too. I was freaked out about getting stopped, and showing it was probably like showing fear to an aggressive dog.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2023 at 04:48 PM
guerrero negro

here's an interesting tidbit from fb a few weeks ago....needless to say if you're a fb hater (and believe kari lake will be our savior) feel free to just move along;)

"Hello guys, most of you travelers need to spend one night in Guerrero Negro, for our location, is the best place to spend a night and continue the next day down to south or north, please, if you guys are having problems or issues with local police, and you know that you aren’t committing any violation, please, look for Hotel Caracoles and ask for Rafa, every year on the whale season we have the same problem, and it’s so embarrassing for us to see how local cops harassing our tourist, most of you guys dont speak Español, and of course our cops don’t speak any inglés, so, need help? You know that no violation is committed? Look for me, we are tired of seen this situation over and over again, I’m
Not doing this for money, or to get customers, thank God we always have, I’m just trying to help out and give to our traveleres a good experience in Baja.
Again, no all the cops are looking for money, some cops are pretty helpful and honest, but if you are having a hard time with local police, let me know, I’m not a lawyer, I’m not a off duty cop, I’m not looking for money, I’m just tired and angry to see this ugly situation in my hometown."
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2023 at 05:16 PM

I followed the cops to the station in Ciudad Constitution about 10 years ago on a parking shake down. They marched me past the desk and into a small room where the same cops proceeded to do the same negotiation we started on the street. We came to an agreement and I was on my way but it would have been easier and much quicker on the street. I agree with your "basics" Lee.

Nice. At least the outcome wasn't worse than the street (I think).

There are two stories I'm aware of about ''the station.'' Someone I know well from Pescadero also got stopped in Ciudad, at night. My friend got a little pi$$y (on the street) and insisted they go to the station. He too ended up in a backroom and hassled. Don't know how much he negotiated but he lost time. Came away PO'd about the outcome.

Other story is about an elderly couple in Tecate. Pocket knife became an issue, shakedown at the station, outcome was not good and they were very upset with the threats made against them.

Just saying. Doubt there will ever be research about street vs. station. I think there is less leverage at the station. Also don't think money collected at the station will go in the coffer, but divided up with those present at the shakedown.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-12-2023 at 10:03 AM

Some years back I was stopped in South TJ, around La Gloria. Fairly early Sunday morning, not any traffic. Cop said I missed a stop sign but I suspect the real issue was DAP (Driving a Porsche) He suggested we go to the station.
Went inside and waited at the counter. Out of the back room comes a little rumpled looking guy, carrying a mop and yawning.
He came to the counter, leaned the swab against the wall, reached down and found his chief of police hat.
Once he installed his hat he was all business.
Ten bucks and on my way to the border.
((No I did not go back to see if indeed there was a sign I had missed)
I guess the moral of the story is to not DAP in Mexico.
Current policy is DWF (Drive wife's Ford) So far no more encounters.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2023 at 01:00 PM

but it would have been easier and much quicker on the street.

In my experiences in such matters, "Pay as you go civil service fees" almost always incur additional expenses in either time, money, or both, the more layers one adds to the equation. Keep it simple?

I was stopped in La Paz this past December by a traffic cop. I was on cell phone and he saw it. I was wrong. He said fine was 2000 pesos and he showed his printed and laminated cheat sheet on what any possible infraction would could cost his mark if they went to the station to pay. It showed gumption on his part and I told him so. He said thank you.

He asked for my DL and said he would take it to the station where I could pay fine and recover the DL. I said no worries, I don't need that DL, I have other copies. He laughed.

Encounter ended amicably with both sides happy.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2023 at 01:28 PM

I always ask for the cops first name, and use it in conversation.i never stop smiling.
And i behave like i have all day to deal with the issue at hand.
Seems to be a good strategy for the most part.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.