Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Police Shakedown in Mexicali
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2021 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TSThornton  
I don't typically like to put my business on the internet, but this forum has been helpful to me so I thought I should post this as a PSA.

I crossed Mexicali West alone at 6:30 am on Monday morning. Was pulled over by city cops where the road takes a dip through the turns shortly after the border before joining main 5. My offense was having my dogs outside of a crate in the cab of my truck. It was pretty scary for me, with them having me put my hands on the truck, while one was on my left going through my wallet while the other on my right was going through everything in the cab. They would not permit me to go to the station with them unless I submitted to being arrested and traveling in their car, leaving my dogs in the truck. The cost to leave was $200.

I'm just putting it out there so it is known, but I don't intend to respond to any questions or opinions. If others want to offer suggestions on how to handle such a situtation based on their actual experience, that's fine.

If you like it or not: If somebody acts like you did - 200 US is not enough. It should be at least 300 USD. (no respond needed - just think!)
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 08:16 AM

On one of the links Goat posted there is a sentence suggesting calling the "Tourist Assistance Hotline 078" - has anyone ever called that number? If so, was that helpful for whatever the situation?

John M
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
On one of the links Goat posted there is a sentence suggesting calling the "Tourist Assistance Hotline 078" - has anyone ever called that number? If so, was that helpful for whatever the situation?

John M

Question remains: If you are pulled over by corrupt police, would they allow you to place a call to ANY hotline for help??? And even if: You are MAYBE receiving an advice over the phone. Or, MAYBE, if the hotline offers you to send an agent (which is highly undoubtable, better to say: impossible) how long would it take? As most hotlines ending up in either Mexico City or in the capital of the state where it accurs. A hotline is not intended to help in an acting case. But to get information BEFORE you start your trip. The initiator of this thread was stupid enough not to learn anything about Mexico before starting his trip. In the actual case he should have told those corrupt police officers: O.K., arrest me and let`s go! I bet 100USD - i coule bet with one more zero - that those officers would back off. Police at the border are looking for stupids. Nothing else. And, as this thread is best evidence, the are successful in finding some. :fire::fire::fire:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

John M

Question remains: If you are pulled over by corrupt police, would they allow you to place a call to ANY hotline for help??? And even if: You are MAYBE receiving an advice over the phone. Or, MAYBE, if the hotline offers you to send an agent (which is highly undoubtable, better to say: impossible) how long would it take? As most hotlines ending up in either Mexico City or in the capital of the state where it accurs. A hotline is not intended to help in an acting case. But to get information BEFORE you start your trip. The initiator of this thread was stupid enough not to learn anything about Mexico before starting his trip. In the actual case he should have told those corrupt police officers: O.K., arrest me and let`s go! I bet 100USD - i coule bet with one more zero - that those officers would back off. Police at the border are looking for stupids. Nothing else. And, as this thread is best evidence, the are successful in finding some. :fire::fire::fire:

Hey, that's a bit rough isn't it !!!!

The man gets worked over by cops and you call him stupid. If that's all you can offer I suggest you don't comment at all.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

John M

Hey, that's a bit rough isn't it !!!!

The man gets worked over by cops and you call him stupid. If that's all you can offer I suggest you don't comment at all.

If you don`t see my message, it is based on your IQ but then: Don`t talk BS. But especially for you: Learn about the country first before you are planning a trip. That is exactly what happened to this guy. Nothing to learn ahead of the trip and then blaming the smart cops for pulling stupids over the table. And YES: Those (and I agree: corrupt!) cops are smart! And why are they smart? Because there are stupid folks coming across the border of which they know they might have succes. They are trying to pull someone over the table. Now it is to that someone, not to let it happen. (Learn from my other post before posting more BS)
Point is, I am only talking the truth. I am not a guy talking sugar talk only to please people. If somebody is planning a trip into a foreign country, the least thing he should do, is learning about that country befor travelling. Is that too much to ask for? If that guy who started this thread .... (my opinion: He better should have sticked to his habit not to post anything in the media!) ..... then nobody would know that he acted stupid) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 02:07 PM

First, your 4th grade teacher should have taught you the concept of paragraph breaks, no? Well, use them.

Second, look at this internet tough guy. These ppl are always the first to pee down their legs when put in a stressful situation.

[Edited on 10-31-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I'm not worried about having a decal, just interested in what this Sindicatura group is all about.

It's not really a "group" but a department of most major (Mexican) municipal governments, responsible for overseeing that processes are done according to the law. Kind of like internal affairs covering all the municipal employees.

So, how do people procure these cards or stickers/plackards? Just something that was ginned up on the internet and it propagated? Like what DK suggested? It's not like a "Good Sam's Club" repop, is it? Are they just some kind of "fake ID" for tourists?

An American tourist portraying a false association with Sindicatura would seem something to question if I were a cop. Maybe not.

John

[Edited on 10-31-2021 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I'm not worried about having a decal, just interested in what this Sindicatura group is all about.

It's not really a "group" but a department of most major (Mexican) municipal governments, responsible for overseeing that processes are done according to the law. Kind of like internal affairs covering all the municipal employees.

So, how do people procure these cards or stickers/plackards? Just something that was ginned up on the internet and it propagated? Like what DK suggested? It's not like a "Good Sam's Club" repop, is it? Are they just some kind of "fake ID" for tourists?

An American tourist portraying a false association with Sindicatura would seem something to question if I were a cop. Maybe not.

John

[Edited on 10-31-2021 by John Harper]

I think sindicatura is term for city office of finances and legal. The office does many things, including responding to citizen complaints about potholes, police, or any other muni services.
I suspect the cops chuckle when they see a gringo with homemade sindicatura sticker. The cops extort people all the time without fear of citizen or gringo complaints. If complaining worked, then there would be no crooked cops.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
from mtgoat666
I think sindicatura is term for city office of finances and legal. The office does many things, including responding to citizen complaints about potholes, police, or any other muni services.
I suspect the cops chuckle when they see a gringo with homemade sindicatura sticker. The cops extort people all the time without fear of citizen or gringo complaints. If complaining worked, then there would be no crooked cops. [/rquote]

I CANNOT AGREE MORE ! Some folks here think Mexico works like the U.S.
And that are very often those Baja Connoisseures (pretended of course) coming to Baja every once in a while for two weeks. Others just don`t know nothing about Mexico and if Mexico is not like the U.S., complaining. And of course badmouthing Mexico. Summary of this thread: I am thinking about applaying for a job as Border Police Officer. But I think there will be no opening as the demand might be high with that income :lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
coconuts
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 09:40 PM

JC43 Wow take a chill pill, have a stiff drink or smoke a fat one. maybe look into some counseling.

The guy was just posting a little info, that he thought might be of some use. Now he or others certainly will not post any other current pertinent info about Baja and their travels that others may find interesting. I won't be. Actual leave Monday for Cabo area

Sounds like you know everything about Baja!!! I mean EVERYTHING. At least in "your" opinion. Maybe you should run for Governor? Of both BC and BCS.

Why don't you give your opinion about the San Ignacio comments too. There must be some marooons in that thread, too.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2021 at 09:34 AM

I think a few bucks to a Mexican cop beats what happens here in the USA to unarmed motorists.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/31/us/police-traffic-stops-k...

John
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2021 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  
JC43 Wow take a chill pill, have a stiff drink or smoke a fat one. maybe look into some counseling.

The guy was just posting a little info, that he thought might be of some use. Now he or others certainly will not post any other current pertinent info about Baja and their travels that others may find interesting. I won't be. Actual leave Monday for Cabo area

Sounds like you know everything about Baja!!! I mean EVERYTHING. At least in "your" opinion. Maybe you should run for Governor? Of both BC and BCS.

Why don't you give your opinion about the San Ignacio comments too. There must be some marooons in that thread, too.

You certainly did not understand my message. I was not bashing that guy of what happened. What happened was his own fault. I was critizising him for not learning about a planned trip into another country BEFORE even starting the trip. Is it smart not to get any info about bordercrossings into Mexico if I want to do it??? Those guys are - in my opinion - guilty why Mexican police gangsters at the border are so corrupt, because they pay whatever they are asked for to pay. Somebody here said: Those days you could get away from such situations with 20 bucks, are over. That is 100% correct. But why is it correct? Why is the situation at the border with corrupt police so outrages? Because there are coming folks across the border which have their pants full by seeing a situation they can not handle. (look at JZ`s post: These ppl are always the first peeing down their legs when they are put in a steessfull situation)
I have my doubts that those "Police guys" where real border Police. It seems to me that they were just ordinary bandits. You can buy a Police uniform at any corner of a bigger city. And posting such stuff, bashing Mexico b/c of it, is not the correct thing, i.m.h.o. Again: Make your homework and stand your ground if a situation like in this thread comes up to you. Letting a "police officer" grab my wallet ??????

[Edited on 10-31-2021 by JC43]
GeraldoS
Banned

[*] posted on 10-31-2021 at 12:06 PM

I think a few bucks to a Mexican cop beats what happens here in the USA to unarmed motorists.

John

Are you sure about that?

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2021/10/30/cartel-gunmen-ki...
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2021 at 01:24 PM

I was critizising him for not learning about a planned trip into another country BEFORE even starting the trip.

Your expectations of a prudent traveler, along with seeing if he can make it from El Rosario to
G Negro on a tank of gas, he also has to research what he
should do with mordida/corrupt cops/ Mex Authorities, when threatened
with vehicle confiscation, being handcuffed, jail, whatever else they come up. Sounds like a good Baja Tourist Brochure

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-31-2021 at 01:56 PM

I dont understand why mexico’s citizens tolerate the police corruption…

Citizens need to elect honest and dedicated leaders that will stomp out corruption and clean house!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2021 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

I was critizising him for not learning about a planned trip into another country BEFORE even starting the trip.

Your expectations of a prudent traveler, along with seeing if he can make it from El Rosario to
G Negro on a tank of gas, he also has to research what he
should do with mordida/corrupt cops/ Mex Authorities, when threatened
with vehicle confiscation, being handcuffed, jail, whatever else they come up. Sounds like a good Baja Tourist Brochure

There is no need of overdoing it so badly! Nobody who travels to Mexico needs to learn about being handcuffed! Neither about Jail! Nor about vehicle confiscation. All what you are talking is BS. Any traveler who is traveling in a normal way has nothing to fear in Mexico. But ask yourself: What is this forum good for, when people do not ask questions before starting a trip????? Don`t you get it? TSThornton should have made some homework instead of peeing down his legs only b/c there is a uniform infront of him. Touching my wallet? getting it out of my pockets???? No police officer, not even those corrupt ones at the border - other than a fake one - is doing that. I agree, the border is a difficult place. But why are Mexicans never molested? You wanna know? b/c these corrupt police officers know that Gringos are afraid of any strange situation. (NOT ALL, I know!) Just create a situation and your victim-gringo is paying.
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2021 at 07:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  

You certainly did not understand my message. I was not bashing that guy of what happened. What happened was his own fault. I was critizising him for not learning about a planned trip into another country BEFORE even starting the trip. Is it smart not to get any info about bordercrossings into Mexico if I want to do it??? Those guys are - in my opinion - guilty why Mexican police gangsters at the border are so corrupt, because they pay whatever they are asked for to pay. Somebody here said: Those days you could get away from such situations with 20 bucks, are over. That is 100% correct. But why is it correct? Why is the situation at the border with corrupt police so outrages? Because there are coming folks across the border which have their pants full by seeing a situation they can not handle. (look at JZ`s post: These ppl are always the first peeing down their legs when they are put in a steessfull situation)
I have my doubts that those "Police guys" where real border Police. It seems to me that they were just ordinary bandits. You can buy a Police uniform at any corner of a bigger city. And posting such stuff, bashing Mexico b/c of it, is not the correct thing, i.m.h.o. Again: Make your homework and stand your ground if a situation like in this thread comes up to you. Letting a "police officer" grab my wallet ??????

I’m not sure saying they were common bandits makes it a whole lot better.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2021 at 10:14 PM

@ bajajoaquin. Right, it does not make the situation better. Neither does it change anything. But I did not say that those bandits where no Police Officers! I said: I can imagine. Don`t you see the difference? End of the story: I would repeat my opinion anytime that TSThornton has not done his homework. Has never learned - maybe out of this forum by asking questions before starting a trip - about Mexico and its differencies to the U.S. I am saying that every question about Mexico is answered in this forum already. Well, maybe. B/c every day there is falling a dummy out of the bus surprising us Nomads w/ another stupid thing. Good so, Otherwise this forum would be useless!!!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2021 at 05:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I dont understand why mexico’s citizens tolerate the police corruption…

Citizens need to elect honest and dedicated leaders that will stomp out corruption and clean house!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's hilarious. Pot, meet kettle.

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2021 at 05:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GeraldoS  

John

Are you sure about that?

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2021/10/30/cartel-gunmen-ki...

Well, I doubt cartel gunmen are pulling people over for broken taillights, license plate lights, tinted windows, and hanging pine tree air fresheners so they can shoot them in "self defense."

John
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.