pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2021 at 08:08 AM

Breitbart? Seriously?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2021 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
The initiator of this thread was stupid enough not to learn anything about Mexico before starting his trip. In the actual case he should have told those corrupt police officers: O.K., arrest me and let`s go! I bet 100USD - i coule bet with one more zero - that those officers would back off. Police at the border are looking for stupids. Nothing else. And, as this thread is best evidence, the are successful in finding some. :fire::fire::fire:

A little heavy handed.

Appreciate the forthrightness of JC's description though but think finesse and some humor will go a long way. Fearing the situation is not a good policy. The cops see fear and feed on it.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
The initiator of this thread was stupid enough not to learn anything about Mexico before starting his trip. In the actual case he should have told those corrupt police officers: O.K., arrest me and let`s go! I bet 100USD - i coule bet with one more zero - that those officers would back off. Police at the border are looking for stupids. Nothing else. And, as this thread is best evidence, the are successful in finding some. :fire::fire::fire:

A little heavy handed.

Appreciate the forthrightness of JC's description though but think finesse and some humor will go a long way. Fearing the situation is not a good policy. The cops see fear and feed on it.

I have to agree: One could talk - or post here - about this post in a more decent way. BUT: I am judging these folks like TSThornton and all others, coming across the border to make a trip into Mexico without any real knowledge, guilty, of what happens at the border. "They" are paying Police officers or other gangsters in uniform whatever those are asking for. It was said already: The days where you could get away from a situation like this one here, with 20 bucks, those days are over.
Why? Because those folks like the initiator of this post are paying whatever gansters are asking for. Today it was 200 bucks. Tomorrow - because the gangsters are smart - it will be 300 bucks. Then 500. Those folks paying before learning are guilty that the situation at the border is going from bad (20 USD) to worth (200USD) with no end in sight. But then blaming Mexico for a bad border situation !!! And Mexico is bad anyway! I cannot agree in such wrongdoing. Period.
Addendum: What does it help to post here, trying to tell those folks what they did wrong, when the next one coming across the border is not willing to read i.e. this forum first and learn what needs to be learned before starting a trip?
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
...going from bad ... to worth...
Intentional or not, that is a great line! :light:

Somehow intentionally: Look at this from the gangsters perspective.
It makes good sense to pull an U.S. Citizen over. Look into his eyes and make up your mind how much he is peeing down his legs --- then make the dicission how much he has to pay you (Especially if I have digged through his wallet and know how much he can pay me) :?::?::?:
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 07:50 PM

What is the law on this subject? Are you required to have your animals in a carrier? This same crap just happened to a friend of ours yesterday. Any info on what the law is would be helpful. Tks
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
What is the law on this subject? Are you required to have your animals in a carrier? This same crap just happened to a friend of ours yesterday. Any info on what the law is would be helpful. Tks

Honesty upfront: I have no idea about dog carrier in a car. But I would bet, there is no law about it. Those guys (Police or not) are simply thinking about anything they can come up with to pull you over. Example: A friend of mine U.S. license plate of course, driving w/ a trailer through CD Constitution. Trailer had a slightly broken tail light. Was pulled over. Officer said: Have to give you a ticket over 150 USD. Friend said: You are not allowed to take cash on the spot and no USD at all. Officer: O.K., I give you a warning --- and waved him to leave.
@24baja. Please post what happend to your friend inn re. of the carrier.

[Edited on 11-3-2021 by JC43]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 08:12 PM

These kind of questions are best answered by stopping a cop on the street and asking them…

Also, when stopped for bs, insist on a multa or boleta de infraccion

[Edited on 11-3-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 11-2-2021 at 08:40 PM

He ended up settling it for $200. That is bad enough but he also lost some other personal property during a search of the cab. Plenty of things he obviously could have done different.
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
On one of the links Goat posted there is a sentence suggesting calling the "Tourist Assistance Hotline 078" - has anyone ever called that number? If so, was that helpful for whatever the situation?

John M

Question remains: If you are pulled over by corrupt police, would they allow you to place a call to ANY hotline for help??? And even if: You are MAYBE receiving an advice over the phone. Or, MAYBE, if the hotline offers you to send an agent (which is highly undoubtable, better to say: impossible) how long would it take? As most hotlines ending up in either Mexico City or in the capital of the state where it accurs. A hotline is not intended to help in an acting case. But to get information BEFORE you start your trip. The initiator of this thread was stupid enough not to learn anything about Mexico before starting his trip. In the actual case he should have told those corrupt police officers: O.K., arrest me and let`s go! I bet 100USD - i coule bet with one more zero - that those officers would back off. Police at the border are looking for stupids. Nothing else. And, as this thread is best evidence, the are successful in finding some. :fire::fire::fire:

What a tough guy you are. You will have your day. You probably sit behind your computer all day sulking about how your daddy treated you so bad. How he never said, "good job son", and how your first gf told you you had a tiny pp. You probably have no friends, live all alone with your cats, and spend zero time in Baja because you are much too scared to step out of your cave.
How sad it is that you have to put others down to feel better about yourself. Hopefully you wither away quickly to end the misery you place on yourself.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 08:31 AM

People driving with loose animals are a hazard to themselves, their pets, and to others on the road. How much common sense do you need to understand that?

John
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
People driving with loose animals are a hazard to themselves, their pets, and to others on the road. How much common sense do you need to understand that?

John

Can`t agree more! 110% correct. So, back to the opening post: Those Police or Non-Police officers told TSThornton the correct thing, I understand. Nevertheless are they not allowed to take money on the spot, nor US Dollars.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 09:28 AM

The issue is not the law but the application of the law. Basically we gringos are being targeted. I have never heard of a Mexican being cited for a seat belt violations yet when the police pull you over they include that in the litany of violations.

It goes like this. As you pass one of them your net worth is assessed. Are you an extranjero? How expensive is your car? Are there many in the car or are you alone? Like a piece of meat in a butcher shop. Based on the assessment he decides whether to stop you and how much of a fine to give you. Once he stops you he tries to find as many things as possible that are illegal. This is a process of intimidation during which he tries to break you down and even make you feel guilty and make you even agree with him.

The really sad thing in Baja is that the people who are supposedly there to protect you are the robbers themselves. When the police are crooked who do you go to? This is the cops on the highways. The police in the small towns are a totally different story. They often will develop a personal bond with you. In fact they bend over backwards to help you. That, at least, is the case at Asuncion.

PS. The last time I got cited near La Paz he took my license and told me I could pay him now and get my CA license back or fight in court and get my license back at the police station. Imagine that! I'm supposed to drive around town without a license to the station and be completely vulnerable to any other crooked cop until I get it back? Just unbelievable.

[Edited on 11-3-2021 by Skipjack Joe]
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pascuale  

What a tough guy you are. You will have your day. You probably sit behind your computer all day sulking about how your daddy treated you so bad. How he never said, "good job son", and how your first gf told you you had a tiny pp. You probably have no friends, live all alone with your cats, and spend zero time in Baja because you are much too scared to step out of your cave.
How sad it is that you have to put others down to feel better about yourself.

Am I the only one to see the irony here? :lol:

To be honest: Yep, i.e. I do not see the irony. I did not respond to pascuales post b/c it was the same bullchit like those posts saying: I feel so sorry about what happend to you. BS at it`s finest. Please if you don`t mind, explain the irony you mentioned to me. Thanks
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pascuale  

How sad it is that you have to put others down to feel better about yourself.

Am I the only one to see the irony here? :lol:

To be honest: Yep, i.e. I do not see the irony. I did not respond to pascuales post b/c it was the same bullchit like those posts saying: I feel so sorry about what happend to you. BS at it`s finest. Please if you don`t mind, explain the irony you mentioned to me. Thanks

The irony is that lencho feels that pascuale is making himself feel better by putting you down.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 09:53 AM

There was a post a while back, Mexicali cops wanted $400 dlls.
for 2 dogs that were not in crates. Gringo driver went to the
station. Whomever decides the cost of the infraction there
charged the driver $200 dlls. instead of $400, So I believe it is written in law.
Some of these fines at the station are not as inexpensive
as one might think.
Me I drive the speed limit, no matter
how slow, buckled up, use ample turn signals. That's about
all one can do

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 09:53 AM

@ Skipjack Joe. Absolutely correct what you are pointing out. But the reason for that is: Police in most towns of MX is not paid accordingly.
That is not an excuse to do wrong! It`s their choice to become a Police officer knowingly about the salery.
And "YES" it is completely different in small towns. I know Mulege very good. Those PO`s are polite. Helping where help is needed. Everybody knows each other. BUT, like here in Cabo, there is no relationship between Police and the citizens.
The highway is a complete different story. On the highway it is: Money talks - bullchit walks.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
for 2 dogs that were not in crates.

I once got cited for eating my hot dog while driving.

<groan>
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 10:20 AM

here are mexicali regs. do key word search for "animal" and you will find that animals must be restrained or caged in cars, and the fine schedule (11 to 40 UMA in this case)

http://www.mexicali.gob.mx/transparencia/normatividad/reglam...

and be aware:

ARTÍCULO 132.- Como garantía de que el infractor se presentará a liquidar sus multas o a solventar su infracción en el caso de apercibimiento, el agente o inspector retendrá la tarjeta de circulación o en su defecto la licencia de conducir, siempre y cuando hayan sido expedidas en el Estado.
Si el conductor desea que en la boleta de infracción se haga constar alguna observación de su parte, el agente o inspector está obligado a consignarla y permitir que estampe su firma, si así lo solicita el conductor, quedando a salvo su derecho de promover los medios de defensa para impugnar el acto.
La boleta de infracción amparará la ausencia del documento retenido durante un plazo de quince días naturales, a partir del día siguiente de su levantamiento, por lo que en su caso, no se aplicará la sanción por la carencia del documento.

ARTÍCULO 133.- Es obligación de todo agente o inspector llevar consigo los formatos de las boletas de infracción, para la aplicación del presente Reglamento, de lo contrario no podrán proceder contra los conductores.

ARTÍCULO 134.- Tratándose de vehículos no registrados en el Estado, con los que se cometan infracciones al presente Reglamento, el agente deberá presentar al conductor y al vehículo ante el juez calificador, a efecto de cubrir la o las sanciones por la infracción cometida, o para que se determine lo conducente; a menos que la licencia del conductor sea vigente y expedida en el Estado, pudiendo quedar ésta en garantía del pago.

ARTÍCULO 136.- En todos los casos que se requiera la presentación del conductor y el vehículo ante el juez calificador para el pago de multas por las infracciones cometidas, se evitará en lo posible que el vehículo sea remitido al depósito vehicular en garantía de pago, para lo cual se le concederá al infractor un plazo de veinticuatro horas desde su presentación ante el juez calificador para que realice las gestiones necesarias para cubrir la o las multas.

[Edited on 11-3-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
for 2 dogs that were not in crates.

I once got cited for eating my hot dog while driving.

<groan>

in mexico its illegal to ride a bicycle without having both feet on the pedals...true story!:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 10:51 AM

Read a city cop, large city I believe, in Mex makes approx. $800 dlls. a month,
one would assume smaller pueblos much less. Not sure
the 'go to the station to pay the fine', adds any legitimacy
to the transaction

Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.