Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Police Shakedown in Mexicali
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2023 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I always ask for the cops first name, and use it in conversation.i never stop smiling.
And i behave like i have all day to deal with the issue at hand.
Seems to be a good strategy for the most part.

x2. Great strategy.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 12:15 PM

I had my first Baja shakedown attempt in Tecate a few months ago. Got away without paying the bribe but this time around II am crossing south via Mexicali. Haven't done that in over a decade so now this is on my mind.

We'll see how well my luck, patience, and anti bribery strategies hold out.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
I had my first Baja shakedown attempt in Tecate a few months ago. Got away without paying the bribe but this time around II am crossing south via Mexicali. Haven't done that in over a decade so now this is on my mind.

We'll see how well my luck, patience, and anti bribery strategies hold out.

Its been mentioned before, try to cross early morning on a Sunday that's how we've done it the last 3 times with no issues.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 05:21 PM

Just received an email from a friend who crossed SB at Mexicali on Feb 12 and he and his passenger were robbed on the street in broad daylight after purchasing their FMMs.

He is trying to figure out how/if to report it to MX authorities.

I've encouraged him to post his report here for suggestions and also to caution people about this situation.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 06:41 PM

Hmmm, I'll be picking someone up in Vegas Saturday night and crossing sometime Sunday afternoon. I plan to stop and get my FMM at the border and then Garmin my way south to San Felipe for the night. Wish us luck!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 08:10 PM

Hmmm, I'll be picking someone up in Vegas Saturday night and crossing sometime Sunday afternoon. I plan to stop and get my FMM at the border and then Garmin my way south to San Felipe for the night. Wish us luck!

Don’t go thru Mexical. Take East Mexi crossing. Cross then left on Rodriguez to Cetys then right. Left on Cuarta to 5.

Avoids downtown and cops.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 10:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I had forgotten there were two crossings in Mexicali. I like this plan. Searching through the forums I found this helpful map from @DavidK (https://goo.gl/maps/9G8yj3Pdi8Lqh4d96) but I could really use some tips on where to park and get my FMM done.

I have the process in Tijuana/Tecate down pretty well but in Mexicali East? Where can I stop before I get whisked too far away from the border?

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 11:08 AM

I cross at Mexicali east every year.

Just stay in the far right lane at the border. Once the border guards check you out, you can park right there and walk 30 yards into the government building to get your visa. Easy.

Ask the border guards where to park and you need a visa. Take the previously recommended route through Mexicali.

If I get pulled over, i’m always polite but I act as though I don’t speak a word of Spanish. I had a Guardia National officer try the dog in a crate thing on us south of San Felipe at a road block. He was a young guy. His older partner behind him could not stop laughing. So much for the new police force not being corrupt 😎

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
I cross at Mexicali east every year.

Just stay in the far right lane at the border. Once the border guards check you out, you can park right there and walk 30 yards into the government building to get your visa. Easy.

Ask the border guards where to park and you need a visa. Take the previously recommended route through Mexicali.

Yup. Stay right. Stayed right recently and was directed to pull over. They poked around my hatch area and that was it…. Typical questions where you going, where you coming from. Stayed there while wife got FMM.

No further inspections all the way down. Did stop though and stated where we were from, where we were going.

Funny story kinda. At the SI checkpoint, I had a healthy cough and upper respiratory infection. After Hola, I started to speak and started hacking trying to apologize. The soldier stepped back and said: oh, you’re sick. I laughed and said yes, and he waved me on. Hmmmm

F*ck it.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I had forgotten there were two crossings in Mexicali. I like this plan. Searching through the forums I found this helpful map from @DavidK (https://goo.gl/maps/9G8yj3Pdi8Lqh4d96) but I could really use some tips on where to park and get my FMM done.

I have the process in Tijuana/Tecate down pretty well but in Mexicali East? Where can I stop before I get whisked too far away from the border?

David’s map is similar to mine. Both go East (left) on Rodriguez, I turn right on Cetys, his map continues down to Indepencia. Then both maps turn left on Carranza to 5.

Programmed my Apple CarPlay Maps (through Seri) and my route showed up as best route.

I cross going and coming about 8am always on Sunday. Figure the bad cops are still asleep. Love this route!

Keep us posted.

F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 01:20 PM

For transprancy, I saw that map and it looked easy, for someone seeking the route. I have NEVER crossed southbound at Mexicali East, only northbound... the last time was in 2019, as a passenger in Cameron Steele's Raptor (Jimmy Lee Cook was driving this section from Laguna Chapala).

I took photos and shared them in my trip report for the Trail of Missions Recon (May 2019): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92768 scroll to Day 6, near the end of the thread. Since this posting, Photobucket splashed their big watermark on each photo. I can repost the border route photos using PostImages.org, no watermark, no charge to use (as Photobucket once was). Let me know if you would like to see these without the watermark.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 01:39 PM

In the past have seen Mexicali cops working Pres. Blvd. you
drive so. on just after entering Mexicali West. Was a RECENT post
on fb regarding a scam, from San Felipe resident Gringos,
regarding fake fender benders in Mexicali. Word is call their
bluff. Hate having to run these gauntlets. Part of doing
business though

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
...using PostImages.org, no watermark, no charge to use (as Photobucket once was).
#2 So who pays the bill for PostImages (it can't be cheap to run a service like that)... :?:

#3And what's to say that they won't eventually go the way of Photobucket and decide they can't afford to subsidize the free service anymore?

#4Are you personally still putting new images on PostImages when you could host them at Vivabaja without worrying about that kind of change on the "free" image hosting sites?

1) Thank you for your concern
2) Ask Postimages.org
3) No guarantees at all
4) Nope... as with the other one, I use the photo hosting sites to share stuff on Nomad, since the size restrictions are still too small for many images or maps I share.
Many of the images are already on Postimages already (from the past 3 years) or they are only to help Nomads and may not be anything I want to keep on my site.

As for the other things we have discussed, I am still interested in professional guidance but have not had much 'chill time' having many projects at home and on VivaBaja taking my time...

I have been adding more photos and stories coming to me from Mexico about Eliodoro Arce... He was very much loved in central Baja.

Now, I have been using Google Translate on the content I have been given from his relatives as well as to translate all the English text. Maybe, since you seem to be a good Spanish linguist, you could look over the Google translated lines (in blue text) and email me any improvements you might notice? Gracias! https://vivabaja.com/eliodoro/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 04:26 PM

Read about Post image
https://www.whtop.com/review/postimages.org#web-stats
https://postimages.org/faq

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2023 at 09:21 PM

Hola from San Felipe.

Mexicali East was a breeze. The INM dude had a great sense of humor. And the route to hwy 5 was shakedown-free.

Now back to my fish tacos ....

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2023 at 09:28 AM

My drive.
Plenty of traffic Mx East to SF. Waved thru the border with no slowing. Major jam for the left turn after the border. I just did a weave thru the parked cars waiting to turn left from the west approach entry to Sentri and Ready. No cops the deal with ok but many more big rigs are using that route on Monday.
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2023 at 01:56 PM

Mexicali East sounds like a winner. I'll try it this year!

Also would love to get a sindicatura "No alimentamos la corruption" sticker, but Google seems only able to get me as far as an image file.

Are there real, stick-em-on stickers available somewhere, or do folks make their own homemade versions?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-30-2023 at 03:48 PM
I would like a couple for my rigs, por favor

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
Mexicali East sounds like a winner. I'll try it this year!

Also would love to get a sindicatura "No alimentamos la corruption" sticker, but Google seems only able to get me as far as an image file.

Are there real, stick-em-on stickers available somewhere, or do folks make their own homemade versions?
Biznaga

[*] posted on 9-30-2023 at 10:31 PM

You can get real, stick-em-on stickers here;

https://www.mikestickers.com/countries/mexico/SIND-1001.htm

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Biznaga  
You can get real, stick-em-on stickers here;

https://www.mikestickers.com/countries/mexico/SIND-1001.htm

¡Gracias!

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.