Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Coco to Turn 85 February 24th
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 08:34 AM
Coco to Turn 85 February 24th

We stopped by Coco's nuevo corner a couple days ago and hung out for a while. He is looking good and will celebrate his 85th birthday on February 24th.

As we sat there we saw many cars and adventure MCs pass by without even looking up. In typical Coco style, he said "no one stops by." I know he would love to see many of his old friends, especially with the 1000 a couple weeks away. For those who have not met Coco, he is one of the last true icons of Baja and no adventure would be complete without meeting him.

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 09:12 AM
Meeting Coco

Indeed he is an iconic 'Baja character'!
I think the first time I stopped for a visit was with the Viva Baja Van in 2001. Many times after, we stopped to buy a cold Pacifico or tee shirt or sticker. I think the last visit I had was in 2016 when some other Nomads were also there. I took a photo of them with Coco for the Baja Bound Road Guide.

Here are some photos of Coco at his Corner (the original corner):

2001 with Desert Rat, 'Travelpearl' Debra, Coco, Sarah K, David Eidell,

2005 Coco with 'Baja Angel' Elizabeth

2006 with Josh and Baja Angel

2006 Showing his famous guest books

2006 Happy Coco

2012 with Baja Angel

2015 with Baja Angel

Coco's Corner in 2015:

Coco's Corner in Sept. 2016:

Coco's Corner in Dec. 2016:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 10:41 AM

Planning to stop in December and then February on the moto. Is there a site where we can look and see what he is in need of? We usually take him a warm blanket, vegetables and cat food but if there are others things he needs we would be happy to pick them up?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Planning to stop in December and then February on the moto. Is there a site where we can look and see what he is in need of? We usually take him a warm blanket, vegetables and cat food but if there are others things he needs we would be happy to pick them up?

https://www.facebook.com/cocoscorner.ranch

New Coco's Corner sign.jpg - 99kB

[Edited on 11-6-2021 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 12:31 PM

Should have known, LOL! Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2021 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
In typical Coco style, he said "no one stops by."

Mama Espinoza quote: "Bad roads bring GOOD people, good roads bring ALL kinds of people"

100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 08:28 AM

advrider, his cats are doing well so cat food is a great call.

For those who haven't been to the new corner yet, it is about 15' X 35' split between a front hang out area and a rear living quarters. The front half is new wood construction on a nice concrete floor. The rear portion looks older and likely pre-dates Coco's move there. The new portion is made of 2X4's and plywood and is yet unfinished.

Others in our team will be dropping off some roof patch/sealant and some white paint today because Coco said rain comes in between the seams in the plywood roof and also to protect and finish the wood.

Team is also bringing him some fluorescent paint to brighten up his sign so it is more noticeable. The new corner is not yet as festive as the original so I would think anything creative and bright someone might bring--string of Tecate cans or bent up race parts, etc.--would be a welcome eye catcher.

We are planning to bring him general household and cleaning items when we return north in a few months.

Also, just remembered, there is about a 4' opening between the front and rear portion with no way to close off the opening. I think even a colorful shower curtain or 60s-style beads would be perfect Coco style.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 10:05 AM

Coco's, Spring 2021

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 10:13 AM

Bonus photo, Spring 2004:

100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 10:27 AM

Coco and my youngest, New Year, circa 2005.

IMG_1498.jpeg - 94kB

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 06:41 PM

Good info, I'll add a few things to my list. I was going to pick up some of the outside solar lights, we use them at our cabin and they are great. Maybe a couple of inside ones as well?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2021 at 03:43 AM

85 without legs and therefore no exercise for decades. That's just amazing. Could be all that sunlight. There's something the doctors aren't telling us.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2021 at 08:43 AM

He didn't lose the second leg until sometime after 2006.

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-9-2021 at 09:44 AM

When we passed by on the 3rd there were 4 or 5 cars stopped in front of his house.
100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2021 at 01:22 PM

Best I could tell 3 or 4 were his or just parked there. Mainly white trucks as I recall.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.