Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A Roadie in Baja - Inflatable Boat Adventures
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2021 at 10:22 AM

Good eye Cancamo.

Don't the skippies usually have more defined stripes under the lateral line as well as on the back? You're right of course, though: the teeth tell. The very first one pictured, in the original post, looks like a proper bonito.

If you DO get some of the toothy bonito, as a buddy of mine has been doing lately on both sides, they make great sashimi as well as poke.

Skipjack seem relatively easy to find all year round, but I don't keep them.

[Edited on 11-28-2021 by eguillermo]
Lost Roadie

[*] posted on 12-3-2021 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
I'd love to hear a description of your inflatable setup -- type, the motor, any mods you made, any tips on setting up and running it.

I'm still using kayaks to get out and fish Baja Catch style, but I can see the writing on the wall as my distances decrease and backaches grow. Looks like I might need a fishing platform that is still portable and manageable, but powered by a motor. Maybe you can sell me your rig when you upgrade :)

And great stuff BTW! I should be down around Christmas, but those delicious bonito are hard to find by then. Envy.

Thanks!

The mightly little boat that could is a Newport Vessels Catalina, 12'6" The hull weighs about 100 pounds and the floor weights around 50 pounds, the motor is 103 pounds.

I customized it to be a better fishing machine, with trips like this in mind.

https://newportvessels.com/products/inflatable-dinghy-boat-c...

One of the first things I did was cover the flooring with this $69 EVA foam from Amazon, better grip, soft on the feet and classy! :mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X77HZ35?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_d...

Along with the EVA foam I used a seat pedestal I had making it quick release for transport using imbedded tee nuts (sealed up) in the flooring and knobs - no tools needed. The mesh seat also has a quick release to separate from the pedestal for easy packing.

A total of six Scottys base mounts installed, four glue-on bases - one on the bow for camera mount or Navisafe light, port and starboard in the center for rod holders and one on the port side at the stern for a quick release transducer mount. Two screw on bases went on the transom for net, rod holders and trolling when in saltwater.

Newport Vessels launch wheels, transducer mount from fishfindermounts (with DIY splash shield) and a 2021 Mercury four stroke 15 EFI with a SE Sport SE200 Hydro Foil. I added a RPM/ hour meter to stay on top of the maintenance.
It's amazing how quiet these new motors are.
I made a spacer out of wood to get the motor raised 1" so it's just right on the transom, where I also used knobs for the bolts to attach the motor.

All the knobs, Nav light and tools/patches go into a Pelican case I installed a 18Ah battery for the Garmin EchoMap Plus with an SAE port for use and charging.
The Battery charges from a DC - DC charger while traveling in my truck and is good for 4 days of use in between charges. Battery box and fuel goes under the bench for better weight distribution and space around the stern, I put some leftover EVA foam on the bottom of both to help with sliding around.

https://www.fishfindermounts.com/product-page/glue-on-transd...

A full morning of fishing with a fair amount of trolling is usually less than 1.5 gallons of fuel. In good conditions at a cruising speed of 17-18 mph it gets about 16 miles a gallon, top speed 22-23 mph with just me in it.

The Garmin unit is attached with a 1.5" RAM ball bolted to the bench seat.

The motor lives on an insert I made from wood to slide it in and out of the truck, using dense case foam like is used for heavy gear in concert touring (Roadie!) for the head and a foam yoga block for the prop. The insert for the motor also fits in a cargo basket I can put on the front of my truck but for Baja I wanted everything inside the vehicle to be lower key.
It fits next to my fridge/freezer in the bed of the truck.

The boat itself goes in the back set, with the seats removed and a flat carpeted wood platform instead.

It's proving to be perfect for me, easy to manage, takes about 30 minutes to set it up or break it down.
One key addition was a battery powered electric pump, that allows me to work on putting it together while it's being inflated, a must have as the foot pump is a buzz kill but I still carry it for a backup, sometimes in the boat if on a longer island exploring voyage.

I really can't believe how well it handles big water when I get caught a bit further out than I should be when the winds kick up.
I would have been quite nervous in my old Gregor in some conditions I've had this boat in without stressing it - life jacket on, tethered to boat and kill switch, no problem. Troll my way back to camp.

Phewwww, I talk too much!

Now on with the fishing tales...

Lost Roadie

[*] posted on 12-3-2021 at 12:29 PM

I scooted on down to La Paz, again a normal trouble free drive from Mulege.
First stop was my favorite camp spot, away from the masses at Tecolote.

OK, I lied, first stop was at what used to be the Sunset Bar and is now a fancy Cortez Club.... another neat place gone. But I had to have ate least one very expensive margarita.

Fishing, eating drinking and general shenanigans. Though admittedly the fishing was slower here, or at least I was having trouble catching fish.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2021 at 02:40 PM

Good stuff, thanks.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-4-2021 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lost Roadie  

where was this image taken?
Trying to locate that cell tower

Harald Pietschmann
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2021 at 11:22 AM

eguillerno: kudos on your inflatable fabrication. Really clean and well thought out . Best I've probably ever seen in a rollup size. Been taking inflatables to Baja since 1983 (Achilles and Zodiac) and I still got a couple of fresh ideas from this post/pictures. Great seat!
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-4-2021 at 12:09 PM

Great thread. We have an 11 foot Zodiac. Probably my favorite toy of all time.

Have spent countless days out on the ocean with the kids. Getting up close to rocky areas in shallow water is really cool. They let you visit remote places you'd never see otherwise.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.