BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Rivian for baja travel?
Tacayo

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 08:32 AM

I went for a test ride in a Rivian pick up on Thursday at Sears Point in Sonoma. The performance and smooth ride was incredible. The trucks are being made in a former Mitsubishi factory in Normal, Illinois. Based on my experience they'll sell them as fast as they can make 'em. Nice to see American ingenuity in action.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
I watched a youtube video earlier this morning where a Rivian climbed a very narrow rock walled canyon.

It was actually climbing on the walls at times as it made its way up to a flatter spot.

Other than a dedicated rock crawler, I can't imagine many trucks could have done what this pickup did, especially with the size of the tires.

Impressive it was. I don't have the connection to this video, but if one types in Rivian, it should show up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeth5v_5dPM
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tacayo  
I went for a test ride in a Rivian pick up on Thursday at Sears Point in Sonoma. The performance and smooth ride was incredible. The trucks are being made in a former Mitsubishi factory in Normal, Illinois. Based on my experience they'll sell them as fast as they can make 'em. Nice to see American ingenuity in action.

You just joined to make first post touting rivian?
Do you work for rivian’ s PR firm?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 11:19 AM

Stock tires!

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
Tacayo

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 12:01 PM

Dear Mtgoat,
Bienvenido to you too, Señor Goat. If you sat in the truck with me on that ride I can guarantee you that it would have knocked your socks off. The Rivian is a great truck that will out perform all those monster grill bad boys.
No, I have no financial stake in the Rivian. I'm also looking forward to trying out the new electric Ford 150 and Tesla's Cybertruck whenever they become available. Right now I'm getting my 2002 Tundra ready for a Baja vacation. My Tundra has been a great truck but I'll trade it in for a new electric truck as soon as I can.
It's a new day. I like to look for the good that's coming down the road.
Not that it should matter but it's not my first post. I've posted using other handles...Kencito, Joaquin etc. I don't post often and then when I finally decide to say something, for whatever reason my old sign in no longer works so I register. If I knew how to post a very short video of the Rivian ride I would but I'm afraid it's beyond my expertise.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 01:55 PM

Saw my first Rivian R1T in the wild, near LAX.

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 02:40 PM

I'd like to see a video of Rivian crossing a river.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by edm1  
I'd like to see a video of Rivian crossing a river.

https://youtu.be/MVVU19pVIBA

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 03:08 PM

https://us.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-rivian-dump-plans-joi...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 03:51 PM

As the model I am most interested in is only available in the US, may have to wait a bit for my first off road capable EV. Baja has a long way to go to catch up on the supporting infrastructure if you don't have your own charging capabilities. A list of charge stations in or around La Paz would be welcome if anyone has it?
Really beginning to envy those CA residents that can easily buy and bring these down for use in Baja.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2021 at 03:49 PM

I see four charging locations in La Paz with both Tesla and J-1772; the Nissan dealer only has J-1772.

Plaza Paseo La Paz

Nissan Vamsa La Paz

Hotel One La Paz

Puerta Cortes

[Edited on 11-22-2021 by StuckSucks]

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2021 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
I see four charging locations in La Paz with both Tesla and J-1772; the Nissan dealer only has J-1772.

Plaza Paseo La Paz

Nissan Vamsa La Paz

Hotel One La Paz

Puerta Cortes

[Edited on 11-22-2021 by StuckSucks]

Thanks for that post, Now you mention it, I do remember the charging station at One LaPaz being totally empty and unused when we stayed there a couple months back. Very convenient and safe place to charge as it's well surrounded with security personnel and in a busy area. Lots of places to shop and eat nearby while you use it. PLaza Paseo should be a great place as well to charge up while you are shopping.

[Edited on 11-23-2021 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2021 at 11:52 AM

It appears that 2022 is going to be the year we are inundated with a huge variety of EV's with decent range and a whole lot of practicality for other uses. Almost every manufacturer is planning on producing off road capable EV's to compliment the low road clearance cities only vehicles available til now. Trucks are the big drivers of sales and manufacturing growth here in Canada and I suspect also in the US. I don't think even the flip/flop politicians will be able to stop massive growth in the next few years.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-23-2021 at 12:07 PM

Paul wrote "maybe a hybrid might work?".....Ken Block, Carlos Sainz, and Stephane Peterhansel believe this new Audi RS Q e-tron will! 38 days friends :bounce:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2021 at 12:45 PM

The LA Auto Show just finished, there were plenty of car/truck EVs on show.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-23-2021 at 01:10 PM

Just so happens, my favorite camping place is 300 miles (a day's drive) away and is remote (no electricity to plug into overnight).
How does this even work to make an EV SUV at all practical/ possible?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tacayo

[*] posted on 11-24-2021 at 03:40 PM

David asks a good question about the practicality of EV pick ups due to the paltry recharging options in Baja.
In many parts of Baja it would be challenging or impossible. But a 300 mile one way trip from San Diego to someplace like Shell Island should be possible when the Tesla Cybertruck with an advertised 500 mile range hits the streets.
You could fill up in El Centro and drive the 138 miles to San Felipe.
I'm not sure how much further south Shell Island is but I believe it's close. You could make it back to El Centro with range to spare. Of course if the AC is cranking that affects range as does 75+ mph. But it should be doable.
There is also a "destination charger" at the San Felipe marina hotel. It's for guests only but hotels have negotiated on their use here in the states.
It's not hard to imagine that there will be more and more charging options up and down the peninsula as demand for them accelerates. It should be a lot of fun.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2021 at 10:58 AM

A couple of years ago The Hotel Sal in GN had a couple of car charging parking spots close to the front check-in office.

Whether they were hooked up or not, they were there. I never saw a vehicle parked there charging up during the couple of days we were there.

Getting an all electric vehicle down that far south might require some trailoring is what came to mind at the time.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2021 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
A couple of years ago The Hotel Sal in GN had a couple of car charging parking spots close to the front check-in office.

Whether they were hooked up or not, they were there. I never saw a vehicle parked there charging up during the couple of days we were there.

Getting an all electric vehicle down that far south might require some trailoring is what came to mind at the time.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

It appears doable to drive down the Baja with an EV of 250 mile range, but according to this present map, it would mean taking some detours off hwy 1 and negotiating with the charging point owners on costs. Once in the La Paz area, trips in and out of the city would not be a problem, or trips to Cabo. I would bet once the number of vehicles using the points increases, many more charge points will show up for the commercial benefits to the owners.
Guess this explains why I saw very few EV's in La Paz.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/173224

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2021 at 04:46 PM

Appreciate the feedback.

However, once I am loaded up after camping in the sun for three or more days, I just want to drive home (6 hours + border wait). Sounds like I would need to pay to stay an extra day in a San Felipe or El Centro hotel, just to "refill" the batteries?? Even if it took a couple of hours to refill them, it would not be popular with the wife and I, needing to get home.

Another issue is I sometimes like to explore and not just sit on the beach all day. That further reduces my ability to get home or even get to a charging station.

The only electric solution I can think of, for us Baja campers & explorers, is a hybrid. When the batteries are low, the gasoline [or diesel/hydrogen/natural gas] motor takes over or recharges the batteries.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.