BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What's involved to run (not race) the Baja 1000?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2021 at 07:35 PM
What's involved to run (not race) the Baja 1000?

Been talking to a Mexican friend who has done it twice in a Beatle.

Thinking about doing it on a bike. My 2 sons, 2 really good riders. One is a very good friend. I might give it a go for a leg.

My main MX friend in Loreto would pull a chase crew together.

Ride a small race or two first.

Could we pull this off in 2023? What all would be involved and the concerns?

[Edited on 11-19-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-18-2021 at 07:44 PM
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2021 at 08:58 PM

Dinero
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-18-2021 at 09:20 PM

mucho dinero

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2021 at 09:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
mucho dinero

How much is mucho?

We aren't talking about racing a trophy truck. I have two high performance KTMs and at least 2 capable chase trucks.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 11-18-2021 at 09:56 PM

JZ, I assume you mean during the race, not afterwards (course is very torn up after the race). To pre-run it prior to the race would be a great option too.

Peninsula run or northern loop race? Answer to that has a huge impact on what is involved. I don't know if 2023 is a peninsula run. Last one was 2017, which is the biggest stretch I can remember. More typical is every 2-3 years.

Assuming you are talking about entering the race as a bucket list-type item, you could enter the sportsman class and just enjoy it. I say enjoy, but this does involve a lot of night time, a lot of dust, and likely being passed by several trophy trucks and cars.

To do it this way, you would need a well prepped bike, which you could likely do yourself. Most important items are suspension and lights. On top of that you would need to sign up for a pit service like Baja Pits, to pour fuel every 50-60 miles. Add to that the entry fees, trackers, etc. and you are good to go.

If you have the bike and prep it yourself, rough guess $10K for the race itself (pre-running and chase expenses, hotels, etc. additional).

Of course you will want to pre-run as many times as you can squeeze in and have logistics, spares, rider changes, etc. all worked out.

If a peninsula run, will likely need more than one chase vehicle. This is actually the most dangerous role in the race, especially if trying to man it with one chase.

If you want more info U2U me and can discuss in more detail.

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-18-2021 at 10:07 PM

Sportsman's Classes are a lower budget way to be in the races.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2021 at 10:19 PM

I will say this. Years ago I bought an XR650 with the idea of running the 1000 on it ( ironman ), I'm a pretty good rider, not a champ but ok. While in Baja playing around while the TT'S were pre-running I had several close calls that made me realize I would rather spectate or run a cage.
These guys weren't running race speed and a couple that passed me in the day light were enough to take a hard pass. I'm not usually the guy to back down from anything, Usually a die trying kind of guy, not so much on this one.
If you want to do it, I'll help with pitting. Prep your bikes and pay for some pit service and go for it. Doing a team effort would be a better idea and I'm sure 100x can give some good advice.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2021 at 10:28 PM

I would start with reading all the rules and regulations
then find someone to translate them for you

then you sign up and do it

Harald Pietschmann
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-18-2021 at 10:34 PM

start with pie plating some district races.....;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2021 at 09:21 AM

You either pick a year they are going to Cabo or you do the loop???

Es Todo Bueno
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2021 at 09:52 AM

Peninsula run, not the loop.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2021 at 11:11 AM

the course is published
run it
fast
run it at night
if you can average 30 mph, you have a chance to finish a race
run it many times

run it at night with someone kicking up dust for 50 miles in front of you
see if you can handle the hallucinations when your headlight illuminate only dust for a couple of hours

hang out at the pits/check points (also at night) and experience the boredom (between racers) and craze (when someone pulls in) - you don't want to miss those life saving points during the race

Harald Pietschmann
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2021 at 12:43 PM

The dust is a game changer for sure. A few years back a couple guys in our group ran out of gas running single track to Catavina and we ended up ridding several hours in the dark. I was shocked at how disorientating the dust and sand particles were to ride in. We were seeing things that weren't there and not seeing stuff that was. Really hard to ride fast in let alone a race speed.
Harold is right about the hallucinations, I was starting to think someone put something in my coffee is was so crazy. I've ridden in dust but the sand/silt dust is super reflective!
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2021 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Peninsula run, not the loop.

The peninsula run gets you separated from the highway to the race course in some places the width of Baja.
Always keep extra fuel for the chase vehicle to go that distance and back.

We got the radio call once from the weatherman to bring the "clutch package" (code for take engine out of prerunner and come fix us).

Suggest using key CODE words that are pre-defined to the team to describe something complicated that is needed. Using the weatherman for relaying messages was easier doing this. Radio's don't always work good, gotta KISS that part.

Es Todo Bueno
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2021 at 01:11 PM

A real problem for a bike rider is when they get caught by the cars. Night not so much as you can see the headlights coming. At some point the cars and bikes get mixed together unless you are really fast.

I suggest you have a serious talk with someone like Tim Morton. He preps bikes for people who wants to race SCORE races as well as work with them during the race. He can tell you the ins and outs plus what it cost.

Talking about hallucinations one of our riders was seeing dragons chasing him thru Mikes Sky ranch. He would gas the bike to throw rocks at it every time he turned to look behind. It must have worked because the dragons never caught him.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 08:30 AM

Can only tell you this JZ bad Idea as riding the any Baja race course sucks . Just no fun endless woops talc powder 3 foot deep with rocks hidden. Come ride the good stuff with us just big smiles and fun . As I dont think you know what your getting into to ride race track
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 11:57 AM

Funny, all the "down sides" seem to be the draw for some...

JZ, a planned ride to Cabo from say Santo Tomas or Rancho Santa Veronica with your kids and a chase crew over 6-8 days would be a wonderful option. This would give an idea of the logistics and planning involved, the trails would be in much better shape, and you could choose if you wanted to run parts at night. Also nice to get used to 200-300 miles in one sitting.

Other options that are easier (logistically) include Malcolm Smith's springtime "6 Days of Baja" (used to be called that; not sure now) that would be really fun, supports charity, and you would get to meet some truly great people. Are also tour companies that put on full peninsula trips. Can't go wrong with any of these--all logistics, accommodations, fuel, meals, etc. taken care of for you. Might be a good first step to decide if the 1000 is right for you.

However, depending on you and your kids, maybe its the 1000...

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 04:58 PM

If the idea is to use nearly all dirt road to La Paz is not too impossible.

Start at Rancho Santa Veronica (near Tecate/ El Hongo) and head south. Use some of or Parallel Hwy. 3 via Santa Catarina village area (east of Independencia). Drop into Valle de la Trinidad on the 'Goat Trail' (pre-Hwy. 3 dirt road).

At Valle de la Trinidad you could head to the Pacific near San Vicente and go south or go through Simpson's or Mike's Sky Rancho, to Camalu on the coast.

Past San Quintín, go east then south, around El Rosario, using one of two choices used by Score then head towards Santa Catarina/ Punta Canoas, and down the Seven Sisters coast roads to Punta Rosarito. Bump into Hwy. 1 to just past El Tomatal and go to the old main road, unless you need a break and fuel stop, go then to Villa Jesus María.

At Villa Jesus María, head to El Arco on the original Baja 1000 race course and old main road to La Paz, then south to Vizcaino and San Ignacio.

Then you go south past San Ignacio Lagoon or via El Patrocinio to San Juanico. Just beyond, go east to La Purisima and work over to Loreto or San Javier, then back to the Pacific at Santo Domingo, Magdalena Bay, Punta Conejo, La Paz.

Very minimal pavement.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lost Roadie

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 06:46 PM

JZ, I pre-ran the 1000 in 2012 solo on my Husaberg in 3 days, usually riding 16-18 hours then camped along the course. I'm not very fast, with no support team not getting hurt was more important.
Made it to La Paz, stayed one day and rode north to pit with Loco's Moco's near the center of the peninsula.
I can highly recommend just pre running first if you don't care about the competition. Much less stress and cost, still had trophy trucks and others passing me day and night with all the silt bed fun. I was just racing against myself and it was a blast without the costs and increased danger.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2021 at 08:14 PM

Maybe try a NORRA race first, more family fun and time to be had. I've been thinking about racing the NORRA race myself or as the Roadie said just prerun it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.