BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: BORDER WAITS!!!! CBP AND GOVT DISFUNCTION!!!
MontyF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2022 at 05:49 PM

I crossed mexicali east at noon today. 15 minute wait in sentri. 12 seconds at the actual casita

ready lane, based on my past time on those lanes was 2.5 hours plus (backed up way before the gas stations on the right)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
10-24-2022 at 01:22 PM
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Last time I crossed north at Tecate (during the pandemic a couple years ago) it was 2.5 hours in the line. I would have been faster to swim the Rio Grande! :biggrin: :bounce:

and, you would have gotten a free meals, a new cell phone, and flown to a new state to live in!!

There you go again with the political BS. WHY???
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 02:28 PM

I was joking with Ric... lighten up.

Oh, so you are a comedian like Rush and Tucker?
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 03:20 PM

I'll lighten up when you shut up with your politics
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 04:23 PM

I don’t delete my posts. That’s what trolls do.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 04:41 PM

Screen grab. There you go again. I NEVER insulted anyone. I have no reason to delete my posts. Be better. I can’t believe Doug has to deal with such foolishness. Go OFF-TOPIC, where you belong?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 04:57 PM

OK, deal... how about removing the personal, pointless replies, as I do (to clean up the thread)?

It would be less work for you if did not post personal, pointless replies, then you would skip the work of writing them and skip the work of deleting them. Then you would have extra time, and perhaps you could use that time to travel to baja..

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 05:02 PM

That may be the smartest thing you said all year! Woke! :biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 06:40 PM

I see you deleted all your posts again. Do you understand what a troll is and why it is called that?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 08:44 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it trolling. It's more like the racists who post racist comments on Facebook or other social media, and then when they get called out for it, they quickly delete it. Or claim they aren't racist at all, someone must have hacked their account. DK is probably used to his right winger forums where everyone thinks making "jokes" demeaning people who you actually personally know nothing about are funny and gets confused about which forum he's posting on. Then when he realizes that he's posting on a forum where he'll get called out for his chit, he deletes his posts. It's the behavior of a coward.

[Edited on 10-25-2022 by surabi]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 10-24-2022 at 09:01 PM

S,

You and your minions don’t seem to have a problem making personal comments that are derogatory based on their opinions not agreeing with your opinions. But then people who don’t share your views aren’t worthy of respect are they?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2022 at 05:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

You and your minions don’t seem to have a problem making personal comments that are derogatory based on their opinions not agreeing with your opinions. But then people who don’t share your views aren’t worthy of respect are they?

I'll try to make this simple, Clark, so even you can understand it.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this forum. Write what you want -- about Baja.

Start in on your right wing nut job politics and you're looking for a fight.

If you're looking for civil and respectful discourse about politics, like DK, try another forum.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2022 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
This is from an author that I recently read.....

"I’ve come to suspect, despite the rancor of our political debates, that the southern border functions more or less the way the United States wants it to function — not that any one of us approves of it wholly, but that it reflects our aggregated desires and the understanding we have of our nation.

The border, I think, is imperfect by design: Porous enough to ensure that some people will inevitably manage to get through, delivering a steady supply of cheap and under-the-table labor. Closed enough to prevent a glut of newcomers. Lenient at times because we are a land of immigrants, but punctuated with attention-grabbing crackdowns to dissuade too many people from trying their luck."

I often wondered why Illegal entries were increasingly supported while the legal immigration process was more and more opposed and made more difficult including for spouses of American citizens with school age children. I think that quote points out the cheaper labour issue is a major reason behind it.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2022 at 10:49 AM

How much less can you expect to pay an illegal as opposed to a legal immigrant for housekeeping, gardening or farm work? Is it really that significant? Why not pay a bit more...sponsor a legal immigrant applicant and take pride in helping them establish themselves and their family like they do in other countries? They will be a much more reliable employee in the long run.

[Edited on 10-25-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-25-2022 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

I'll try to make this simple, Clark, so even you can understand it.

didn't work :(

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2022 at 12:25 PM

I’ve always found it a little weird and rude to ask to see someone’s immigration papers when I’m hiring them to clean my house or cut down some trees in the backyard.

Funny, I would imagine that's the same excuse some large corporations used when they got caught hiring hundreds of illegals. God forbid we ask some hard questions of our prospective employees.

This is why we need all employers required to use E-Verify, which remains blocked from becoming a more universal law.

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2022 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

I’ve always found it a little weird and rude to ask to see someone’s immigration papers when I’m hiring them to clean my house or cut down some trees in the backyard.

Funny, I would imagine that's the same excuse some large corporations used when they got caught hiring hundreds of illegals. God forbid we ask some hard questions of our prospective employees.

This is why we need all employers required to use E-Verify, which remains blocked from becoming a more universal law.

John

Hey John, so if you hire David K to come fix your sprinklers, you would ask him to see his Social Security card and run him through E-Verify? I wouldn’t. I respectfully disagree with you.

I would certainly want to see his contractor's license, and as I understand the law, I should ask about his SS/E Verify status as well. I believe this is how several rich politician's got into some trouble hiring domestic help a few years ago.

It's not a problem, until it is.

I'm sure you're okay unless you want to run for a political office or perhaps a judgeship.

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-25-2022 at 12:54 PM

John

Hey John, so if you hire David K to come fix your sprinklers, you would ask him to see his Social Security card and run him through E-Verify? I wouldn’t. I respectfully disagree with you.

I would certainly want to see his contractor's license, and as I understand the law, I should ask about his SS/E Verify status as well. I believe this is how several rich politician's got into some trouble hiring domestic help a few years ago.

It's not a problem, until it is.

I'm sure you're okay unless you want to run for a political office or perhaps a judgeship.

John

I always ask my contractors for proof of insurances, and i look them up on state boards website to verify their contractors license is current.
I suppose could ask them to provide e-verify proof of compliance, if that was your concern, but i dont.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2022 at 02:36 PM

LOL, so it goes!

On the immigration chat just above your reply (dare I make a comment):

It is the job of the federal government to make or border secure from invasion/ trespassing/ whatever you want to call illegal crossing. It is not an employer's job to question or profile candidtes for hire (or it shouldn't be IMO). It is damn lucky to find good people to do hard work.

A contractor's license does not guarantee a good job... There is no training for your field in the contractor's test. It is all about writing contracts. It allows them to sue you for non-payment.

I have repaired many poorly done jobs made by 'licensed contractors'.
Now I am 100% retired, after 40 years in the irrigation industry (sales, design, repair, installation, manufactoring, spec calls, author)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2022 at 02:54 PM

Have you experienced this process that you are mentioning? I have. In fact I’m in the middle of it again and completely see the opposite of what you wrote here. Respectfully disagree with your statement. I have a ton of experience with this topic. Hahaha. ✌️

Well, yes we have in our country. We sponsor new immigrants we want to hire, this makes it legal for them to work here, bring their family and look forward to a long term residency and a bright future for their kids. It's a pain, but leads them to quick legal residency where they feel far more secure than someone who comes in as a visitor and works illegally, always wondering when they will be forced to leave. Hiring illegal entrants is cheaper, employers can pay them a lot less under the table and threaten them when they balk at working for below minimum wage or overtime without compensation.
Of course they have to pass criminal history checks and we have to prove there is a need for their skills that can't be filled with local residents. Right now we need a huge number of immigrants to fill empty jobs, so it's a great time to apply for legal immigration into a country where they can raise their family without the dangers they are leaving behind.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.