Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Trevally & Striped Marlin & Dorado on Poppers
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2021 at 08:16 PM
Trevally & Striped Marlin & Dorado on Poppers

Great fishing for quality trevally in the estuaries of Mag Bay.
Feels good to be back in action after a 4 month hiatus for lumbar spine fusion surgery. Doc did a great job and so grateful he did.

Offshore has been great too and PSC is hopping right now. Shrimp, scallop, clam, eco tour divers filming marlin on bait balls and sport fishing season all colliding making it very busy and everyone is making hay while the sun shines.

20211121_195657.jpg - 148kB

[Edited on 11-22-2021 by Don Jorge]

[Edited on 12-3-2021 by Don Jorge]

[Edited on 12-6-2021 by Don Jorge]

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 11-21-2021 at 09:04 PM

Nice!

I like beer, better than most people.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2021 at 04:19 AM

They're a great fighting fish. I've caught them at Christmas Island.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-22-2021 at 08:50 AM

Aggressive fish! I watched a video of one of them going after sea birds.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 11-22-2021 at 10:12 AM

So jealous!

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2021 at 11:57 AM

Freakin awesome!

I fished the northern end of Mag Bay near La Poza Grande and got some beauty Corvina but never even heard of that fish.

Nice job.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2021 at 01:25 PM

Also called a golden jack, delicious!
Raw or cooked, nice white dense meat.

Used to get them from Puerto Escondido
to Ligüi.

I'm glad you're able to fish again.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2021 at 02:33 PM

A successful spine surgery and a big fish. What more could you ask for?
¡Feliz cumpleaños!
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2021 at 04:10 PM

Congratulations on your successful surgery Don Jorge!!

I'm three weeks post op from my lumbar surgery, no fusion just some widening of the nerve canal etc. Hoping to look as good as you do in a few months and get back in the water. Heading back south Friday. Can't wait to get my rehab in full gear with some walks on the beach, some warm water swims and just a little bit of medicinal Don Julio.

Oh, and nice fish!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2021 at 12:14 PM

nice palometa! they fight like hell

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 07:10 PM

Does anyone have a searchable "scientific" name for that fish? It looks a bit different from the "giant trevally" or "crevalle jack" that I'm finding online.

It's a gorgeous fish, and I congratulate Don Jorge with envy!! I've fished the mangroves quite a bit and never seen one of those.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 07:56 PM

searchable "scientific" name for that fish?

Gnathanodon speciosus

Jack family/Carangidae

AKA: Jurel Dorado, Golden Trevally

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 10:53 PM

Unlike the other trevally mentioned this one is good to eat.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2021 at 09:56 PM

Are Crevalle related to Trevally? I had C/4,5 and 6 fusion in July and have finally got my docs blessing to surf in Baja this January, a month long rambling journey , longer than I've ever stayed in my 54 yr affair with Baja. The board is getting longer, and the waves are getting smaller, I'm afraid. But its all good.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
Are Crevalle related to Trevally?

Definitely. Even a pompano is related but more distantly.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2021 at 07:42 AM
Trevally , Striped Marlin too!

Thanks everyone! It is indeed nice to be on the water again and especially nice to walk again more than 100 ft without the legs going numb and pain dropping one to the ground. As we get older body parts wear out. Despite common sense mitigation efforts of exercise, diet, rest, less alcohol and more rest, 67 years of physical, outdoor work takes and shows a toll. Bless the medical professionals who relieve the pain.

Jeffe, good luck on your recovery. Stenosis and lumbar injury are part of your professions risks. A few too many, large people, stuck in the tub. Or so my retired firefighter friends tell me.

Hombre66, hope your recovery continues and good for you surfing again. I traded the surfboard for a bodyguard after my knee replacements. The good news it is almost always double overhead when you are lying down?: :lol:

Maderita thanks for the b-day shout out. To celebrate we went looking for marlin and right now if you go south from the boca twenty miles or so you cannot miss them. Locals are calling this moment the largest concentration of bait fish and marlin in recent memory. After a very successful day of striped marlin fishing, brining to leader and releasing four stripers my local friends surprised me with a birthday cake and homemade flan!

20211130_065234.jpg - 122kB

IMG-20211123-WA0038.jpg - 39kB

IMG-20211123-WA0019.jpg - 122kB

My friend and tocayo Jorge was fishing with me and his fourteen year old son, Gael, was able to join us. We put Gael on his first marlin ever and he handled it like a pro. We were all very happy for Gael. He was super stoked. Memories, making memories.

20211203_065525.jpg - 110kB 20211122_110659.jpg - 231kB

The next few days the wind came up so we stayed inside. We went to Isla Magdalena just checking it out, caught a few halibut for supper and called it a day.
The island has a small full time population and during whale season many more spend time there staffing the eco camps, glamping,, has arrived here too.

20211203_070149.jpg - 191kB

20211203_070847.jpg - 37kB

The current rage is for divers to swim near the bait balls to observe and film the marlin packs herd hunting the huge sardine schools. Stripers dart in and out of the sardine balls in synchronized movements marlin moving the ball and feeding on it simultaneously. This underwater dance show has attracted divers from far and wide. The other iight on a rare night out for me I noted visitors from Japan, Germany, Australia and the Americas represented at the local hotspot, Lores. The upstairs supper venue was packed and it was mostly divers, not fisherman.

There are many operators providing this service and a lot of them are from Cabo and La Paz. It is creating fiction with the locals. Hope they can resolve it.

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%...

Thats it for now.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2021 at 01:01 PM

Thanks for the awesome underwater video.

To me, that is THE best way to catch these magnificent creatures, freely hunting.

I sampled some smoked marlin years ago and it was pretty damn tasty, but when I see these doing what they do off hook, I hold hope their species will continue to survive for future generations to appreciate with videos such as this one.

One can hope that those marlins who are brought alongside the boat and released will survive. Apparently some don't due to the stress. The less damage we do, the better. It all adds up eventually.

When I see them hanging upside down on the dock, I always ask myself why. If we love the ocean and its creatures great and small, and I believe we all do, catch and release should be employed whenever possible, specifically for such grand species of fish as these are.

I have caught my share of fish that fit in a pan to feed myself when camping. Catching more than one needs for sustenance was never part of my motivation. Ok. Enough preaching.

Seeing these hunt and not being hunted was illuminating to say the least. Thanks again for that underwater feeding video.

100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2021 at 01:43 PM

The marlin catch and release bug caught on pretty well quite some time ago, especially with stripers. They taste okay, but not exceptional and other than their aerial stunts, really do not pull that hard. The fight is further diminished by the large gear most pangeros use, although I believe that may result in less stress to the fish.

Over time, the tuna and dorado (and others) seem to be the species most anglers continue to target, although C&R has not been as widely practiced with them, nor with pan-size species.

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 06:49 AM

When offshore we usually come across a strand or two of seaweed. And no matter how small this time of year it will be holding a few dorado. We pass nearby with some feathers and typically score one or two dorados and move on.

Last time offshore after a very successful day marlin fishing and scoring a few dorados on the way home we practically ran over a huge seaweed patch. Bingo. We quickly had double hookups and saw lots of following fish. I quickly set up a 6,5 Calstar rod paired to a small Shimano Trinidad reel spooled with Trident big game 20 lb line connected to a Yozuroi popper.

IMG-20211202-WA0014.jpg - 71kB
For the next twenty minutes it was nonstop action on the surface popper, The dorado were racing on the surface fighting to be the first one to explode on the popper. We bagged our limits and then some catch and release. Poppper fishing for dorado is fun!

IMG-20211202-WA0001.jpg - 73kB

20211205_182043.jpg - 154kB

We were still two hours offshore and running out of daylight soon. Fortunately the weather was beautiful, the oceans surface como las nalgas de un indio. We made it back with the sun setting off our port side. Perfect ending to another day fishing the bountiful waters offshore of Mag Bay.

20211205_135529.jpg - 162kB

100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 09:51 AM

Your reports make me smile!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.