BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Questions about UTVs and where should I buy?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-26-2021 at 07:35 PM

There are a lot of retirees in Mexico that treat their UTVs just fine.........and do their own maintenance. Which isn't much, really, besides changing filters and fluids and tires. And if they are leaving Mexico, they are motivated to sell, rather than tow it back.

Look in your local online sources for deals. Be patient. They are out there.

Yeah, a beater Cherokee can be had for a lot less. No comparison in the degree of fun, compared to an ATV or UTV. It's a facking SUV, after all.....

A used Wrangler is tons of fun compared to a Cherokee. Removeable doors, sport a rag top; drop the windshield, when you want. A bit like a comfortable UTV and a lot quieter.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-26-2021 at 10:56 PM
Polaris Ranger 570

Last year I looked all over for a decent used UTV and couldn't find one that didn't look like it had already run the Baja 1000.

I drove up to Oregon (no sales tax) and bought a new 2-seater Polaris Ranger 570. Many poo hoo the fuel injected 570 as underpowered, but that has not been my experience. I can load it up fully with green oak firewood and it makes the run up the steep hill to my house with no troubles at all.

It fit in the back of my regular bed Chevy PU without any trouble for the few hundred miles home.

The factory tires are not great in the loose stuff, but they are easy to replace. I think it was a little over $10k with my veteran discount.

[Edited on 11-27-2021 by BajaBruno]

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 12:41 AM

This is our ride! We’ve probably got about $6000 invested in it and it’s licensed in SD so it’s insured while driving on a road. It has a 660cc 3 cylinder motor and goes 100 Km/Ph. It has AC too!

EDE87D70-6516-4967-AA16-F67EF212D164.jpeg - 245kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 09:24 AM

RF, can those tiny street tires be made beefier?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 05:27 PM

Those are street and hard dirt only! I have a set of 8” sand tires too!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 05:28 PM

I have a 1991 suzuki carry. Very similar to the kei truck pictured.
People use ATV wheels and tires on those commonly. Usually a lift is required.
I've had mine for 10years. I have $4k in mine. It has never required a repair.
They are a hoot.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 05:40 PM

I have a 2” lift and load levelers on the rear of ours. The front is a modified CJ bumper.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2021 at 05:42 PM

I can tell you I run a yamaha wolverine X-2. They also have a 4 seater, same unit just stretched. They have dump bead on the back, they are super quiet, and quite capable in the trails and dunes and beaches - its not a race vehicle, its an all around good unit.

ran me 14K new in USA last year - about 1/2 of what the honda and polaris go for (not really comparable models, obviously)

I use it around the ranch to haul stuff including 10 X 6 ft utility trailers, and put stuff in the back, my wide uses it to haul grandkids around the area, and i use it fishing small streams and lakes in the rockies - set up a base camp and use it on day trips. I don't go rock crawling, just 2 tracks, dirt roads and trails
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2021 at 10:18 PM

Samurai? Sidekick? Baja bug? Cheap , and gas sippers.
esemjay1956

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 08:01 AM

There is a Can Am dealership in La Paz, I bought from them two years ago and it was a good experience. They have many models, you should find what you are looking for. I own two Can Ams and am real pleased with them both.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 09:01 AM

Ever heard that song that goes "why o why did I ever buy an thousand dollar car?" If you like to tinker, that 30, 40 or 50 year old car might be for you. But if you just want to toodle around without a worry get a new side by side.

My neighbor owns two Manx VW buggies. Her husband worked on them all the time. Sure they were fun, but... He passed away a year ago and now she is going to sell them both and get a side by side.

We bought a Teryx Kawasaki a couple of years ago and had it shipped down. I think the freight and taxes came to about 26%. We love the comfortable four seats. Most of the time it is just me and my surfboards, but when a few friends visit it is great to be able to haul the four of us around to local restaurants or just go putting.

The Honda with folding rear seats was high on our list as well. Kind of a toss-up. The deciding factor was my wife liked the seats on the Kawi.

Were I to do it over again I would check with local dealers first. There are so many now in Cabo. If you have to pay a bit more down here it is probably worth it to have established a local source for any unforeseen issues. You gotta think, what is it worth to me to haul one down?

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 11:25 AM

May be able to buy a new SXS with what she can get for the Meyers Manxes!

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 03:49 PM

Harold with respect your remarks about sxs you dont know much. My Yamaha yxz 1000r .has windshield has roof. Does not make a racket stock muffler. It gets 20 MPG unlike your MB at 8mpg it can go where your MB cannot go. Please write about things you do know about dear amigo .About more dust inside w windshield true and not so. Full windshield yes dust inside . You must have 5in gap at bottom of windshield no dust inside .
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 06:44 PM

Here's what we use to cruise the beaches for surf fishing
800 EFI Polaris Ranger
gets up and goes but isn't crazy

This is at Alejandros Camp. The spot fin fishing was awesome

Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2021 at 06:56 AM

I know a guy in the Bay of LA who's selling a 4 seat RZR. I believe it's 16K and like new. Let me know if you're interested in contacting him.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.