Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: destination ideas ?
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2021 at 09:30 PM
destination ideas ?

hi all,
I am wondering if you'd share your ideas. I live in San Diego and am thinking of going somewhere via road trip to Mexico. Where would you seasoned travelers choose to go. I don't have weeks and weeks, just maybe 4-5 days that I can be gone. thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Janis
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 08:29 AM

Fly Volaris out of TJ and go to Huatulco.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 08:35 AM

Consider oaxaca. Colonial city with lots to see.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 09:11 AM

Janix, you asked for a 4-5 day "road trip"...

If this winter, you may consider going to the whale lagoons with tours based out of Guerrero Negro (Baja Nomad 'Shari' runs Whale Magic Tours) or San Ignacio. Either one is a long one day drive, but best if done over two... so maybe too far if you only have 4-5 days?

Bahía de los Angeles ("L.A. Bay") is 8-9 hours drive from San Diego and will give you a good taste for central Baja beauty and Sea of Cortez coastal experience. Motels, cabins, or camping are there. Go via San Felipe and see also Gonzaga Bay (turn east at the gas station there for Alfonsina's Hotel/ Bar or on the south side of the runway go to Rancho Grande beach for a just a look of the bay).

Otherwise, make a loop trip, down one highway and back another with Laguna Chapala being the point where Hwy. 1 & 5 meet.

There are endless options but you need to share what you want to see or do for better guidance... what is interesting to you... how doe you want to overnight... what are you driving (2WD or 4WD)???

Hwy. 5 is now paved all the way to Chapala.

[Edited on 11-27-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Janix  
hi all,
I am wondering if you'd share your ideas. I live in San Diego and am thinking of going somewhere via road trip to Mexico. Where would you seasoned travelers choose to go. I don't have weeks and weeks, just maybe 4-5 days that I can be gone. thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Janis

Do a trip to Guadalupe valley wineries and Ensenada.

Car camp in Sierra San Pedro martir (nights a bit cool now)

Go whale watching at Laguna San Ignacio (feb to early April)

Go to dude ranch (Rancho la bellota)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 09:52 AM

I like watching the scenery change, rather than spending multiple nights in one spot. If I only had four or five days, I would spend them all driving, looking for a place I might want to return to on a future trip!

As I recall, you have already visited Mexicali, but did not venture very far south. I would recommend crossing south at Tecate, driving hwy 3 to Ensenada, south on hwy 1 at least as far as Mulege, then back north taking the turn on hwy 5 back to the border. Since you have seen Mexicali, taking hwy 2 back to Tecate would be a nice drive.

Read up on the towns and attractions along that route, and decide where you are going to spend the night based on where it looks like you might be by nightfall.

Loreto would be great to visit if you have time, but the older Baja vibe still exists in Mulege, and is one of my favorite places. The plaza in the center of town is worth some of your time, especially in the evening.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 10:33 AM

Cross in Tecate - Guadalupe Hot Springs 2 nights - San Felipe 1 night, further south- camp on beach; return via Mexicali.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Cross in Tecate - Guadalupe Hot Springs 2 nights - San Felipe 1 night, further south- camp on beach; return via Mexicali.

I just wrote about the Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs history: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/guadalup...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 07:50 PM

Visit San Ignacio! Stay in a yurt next to a river in a huge palm oasis. Visit the Whales at Ignacio Lagoon.

San Ignacio is about 90 min. South of the 28th parallel!

Ignacio Springs B&B. Has yurts!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 08:00 PM

I like a mix of David's and AK'S ideas as a loop down one side and back up the other. Maybe only to GN and whale watching, San Ignacio for the turn around and BOLA to 5 for the return? Please report back..
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 08:04 PM

I'd head out to Vizcaino, stay at Shari's and just fool around punta eugenia to punta abreojos :D

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-28-2021 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
I'd head out to Vizcaino, stay at Shari's and just fool around punta eugenia to punta abreojos :D

Seriously? In 4-5 short winter driving days?

I dont think there is anything interesting enough in 4-5 days that could compare to flying cheaply to Mexico City or Oaxaca or Huatulco.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-28-2021 at 08:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Seriously? In 4-5 short winter driving days?

I dont think there is anything interesting enough in 4-5 days that could compare to flying cheaply to Mexico City or Oaxaca or Huatulco.

If throwing flying into the mix,… probably more fun to fly to salt lake and ski for a few days at Alta

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2021 at 09:28 PM

wow, thank you all so much for your responses!

Flying isn't an option at the moment. The reason I'd be heading there is simply to spend time with a dear friend who can't come see me here in San Diego. All I'd like really, is a safe, clean, nice place to relax and have quality time with her :-)

She suggested I pick her up from TJ airport (she'd be flying from a little town in Mexico City) but yikes...I'm nervous to drive in TJ alone?

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing your experience and travels.

Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2021 at 09:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

yes! I did go to Mexicali! You have a good memory
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2021 at 09:33 PM

AKgringo yes! I did go to Mexicali, good memory!
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 05:23 AM

Ensenada is nice, easy drive on the toll road from Tijuana. Book a room at a hotel in the "tourist zone". Lots of shopping, dining, sights to see within walking distance. Grab a fish taco on the malecon, have a beer at the famous Hussong's Cantina --

Then if feeling adventurous head south to San Quintin get a room at Hotel on Playa Santa Maria, walk on big empty beach, or go to the hotel at Catavinia, take a hike in the desert and look at the rocks and cactus.

Driving north, if you can, take Hwy. 3 to cross at Tecate. Easy wide highway in the wine country, mellow crossing compared to the chaos of TJ.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Ensenada is nice, easy drive on the toll road from Tijuana. Book a room at a hotel in the "tourist zone". Lots of shopping, dining, sights to see within walking distance. Grab a fish taco on the malecon, have a beer at the famous Hussong's Cantina --

Then if feeling adventurous head south to San Quintin get a room at Hotel on Playa Santa Maria, walk on big empty beach, or go to the hotel at Catavinia, take a hike in the desert and look at the rocks and cactus.

Driving north, if you can, take Hwy. 3 to cross at Tecate. Easy wide highway in the wine country, mellow crossing compared to the chaos of TJ.

I vote for this. Relaxing, easy driving. No need to spend the period with a large percentage of possibly nervous driving past San Quintin.

But be prepared for chilly (but not downright cold) conditions.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2021 at 07:42 AM

There is a lot to see and do in Baja. If you like food, beer, and/or wine, make sure and include a night in Ensenada. Get off the beaten path and ask a local for a suggestion. I'm always surprised how many cool places there are to eat and drink. Grab a slice or pie from Stella pizza and take it up to El Mirador for beautiful views.

From there, head down to San Quintin. SQ is really changing for the better. Great scenery and again the food scene is picking up. Maybe take a day trip up to San Pedro Martir for stunning mountain views. Depending on when you travel, snow might be an issue. I definitely would not plan on camping this time of year.

As suggested above, continue on to highway 5. I really like Gonzaga Bay. There are a lot of places to camp but keep an eye on the weather. Winter and bring on nasty north winds. You can also stay in San Felipe. For an easy border crossing, head to Mexicali or return via Highway 3. On our bucket list is visiting the cheese caves outside of Ojos Negros.

Everyone has different styles so take these suggestions as just that. I like getting ideas online but really asking a local will get you the real gems. Enjoy your trip and remember to go with the flow. It's Mexico after all.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-30-2021 at 09:20 PM

If you decide that flying might work out for you, meet your friend in Loreto!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.