BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tohatsu motors in Baja?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 07:16 AM
Tohatsu motors in Baja?

These engines are showing up everywhere in NorCal, just got a 60hp for our pontoon. I don't recall seeing them in Baja, must be the supply chain? They are always cheaper (and lighter) than the equivalent motor in Merc/Yamie/Honda. I would think they would be a natural for that market.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 08:49 AM

Are these tohats you´re seeing 4 strokes?
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 09:52 AM

Don't think 2 strokes are legal in California?

Best engine I ever had was a 9.8hp 2 stroke Tohatsu. It was almost 20 pounds lighter than the 4 stroke Yamaha. Much easier to move around.

[Edited on 11-27-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Don't think strokes are legal in California?

Best engine I ever had was a 9.8hp 2 stroke Tohatsu. It was almost 20 pounds lighter than the 4 stroke Yamaha. Much easier to move around.

Well, tohatsu makes 4 strokes…

Does anyone in usa still sell 2 stroke outboards? Maybe some hillbillies in Tennessee still buy 2 strokes?

[Edited on 11-27-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 10:41 AM

2 strokes ar grandfathered to sell from pp tp pp, maybe some states are still retailing, but I doubt it. Tohatsu is a Nissan with a different label. Small Nissan /Toh portables should be avoided in favor of Hondas or Yamahas. Never run ethanol thru a Tohatsu/Nissan portable. Tiny jets that foul.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 11:03 AM

my Mercury 2005 9.9 hp kicker was made by Tohatsu for Mercury, at least the power head is. Also, my 2005 Mercury 115hp is really a Yamaha power head. I know that changed a few years ago.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 11:25 AM

When I bought my motor, cheaper was not the priority, getting back home was. I didn't want to be out there pulling on the starter and not having it start. Getting it serviced regularly was also a priority.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
When I bought my motor, cheaper was not the priority, getting back home was. I didn't want to be out there pulling on the starter and not having it start. Getting it serviced regularly was also a priority.

Boats and airplanes, single engines always a risk…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 03:35 PM

15 year old 18hp Nissan never flushed a few impellers and runs like the day I bought it......ymmv;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
15 year old 18hp Nissan never flushed a few impellers and runs like the day I bought it......ymmv;)
Do impellers normally wear out, or is that a result of sand? (I've always wondered whether beach launches weren't kind of hard on outboards...)

actually they always look fine, just one of those things you have to do...insurance. I think the culprit is letting em sit.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  

Boats and airplanes, single engines always a risk…

Fun fact..
An engine failure in a twin engine aircraft is 4 times as likely to result in a fatality vs a single engine a/c.
Poor pilot response is a giant factor in most cases.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 08:01 PM

guys, I was just curious if Tohatsus had made it to Baja - don't remember seeing them.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 08:50 PM

Tohatsu has never been big on marketing. They sell millions of motors to Nisson and mercury, mostly small ones. Perhaps they are moving up to higher profit models.

Gritty water is certainly a big factor in the life of a water pump. Running it dry is the worst. Old age is next.

Changing the impeller every year or two is cheap insurance.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-28-2021 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
Tohatsu has never been big on marketing. They sell millions of motors to Nisson and mercury, mostly small ones. Perhaps they are moving up to higher profit models.

Gritty water is certainly a big factor in the life of a water pump. Running it dry is the worst. Old age is next.

Changing the impeller every year or two is cheap insurance.

And removing it from a boat that might sit for long periods can also extend its life dramatically.

I also find that nitrile impellers will last much longer than the conventional rubber ones. Especially more resistant to the effects of hot, humid conditions in a Mexican summer that seems to destroy all kinds of conventional rubber products.

I also avoid Sierra impellers. Low quality. Stick with Jabsco, Johnson.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.