Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja Nomad forum posts/day
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 02:47 PM

Indeed Talk Baja has a whack of members and is very useful for many things but I love Nomads for being able to carry on a conversation with a few folks here that doesnt get lost in dozens or hundreds of responses...call me old fashioned!

Nice to see it holding its own in this ever-changing digital world.
Cheers amigos and thanks Doug for hangin in there.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2021 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Doug, your efforts at keeping this site going are admirable, especially considering the few who use this forum to further their own misguided political views.

You know who you are. I don't have to be specific. It is all too evident.

These few have degraded this site from what its original mantra of peace, love, and fish tacos had been. Gawd, I still love that rather simplistic viewpoint.

Thank you Doug for putting up with all the bs that some have chosen to inflict upon the rest of us lovers of Baja.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why some continue to choose to express their ignorance based upon who they listen to.

This sites relevance should not be denigrated because of these few who spout their alternate views. Alternate views of reality? There are no legitimate alternate views.

Reality is the real deal.

My appeal to have some of our members leave their political viewpoints elsewhere, will go nowhere.

Do any of us really come here on a daily basis to hear others political stance?

Apparently some do, and it is a shame. I for one, never have. We all have more than enough already in our daily lives.

In my pollyanna world, I hold hopes that our Baja Nomad site can be inoculated against these despoilers of our precious love for Baja.

Peace, love, fish tacos, and whatever it takes to divest this site from certain aspects of our Dsiunitied States of America.

Peace, love, fish tacos, and whatever it takes to divest this site from certain aspects of our Dsiunitied States of America" Funny that you ascribe pollyanna to your attitude....Its incredibly sanctimonious actually.

I really enjoy this site....somewhat enjoy the political banter - even from those I disagree with. Since I absolutely hate everything about facetard - this is my source for Baja info.

David K's maps and travel tips, other's travel info, the trip reports, Blanca's success stories with her students & even the sometimes hostile political banter keep me coming back....just like Baja itself - there's things about it that are incredibly appealing and there's things that make you curse....in the end it's all good!

[Edited on 12-14-2021 by lewmt]

[Edited on 12-14-2021 by lewmt]
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2021 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

TalkBaja took a lot of nomads with it. It would be hard to bring them back now. That group must have a membership of 50,000. If you don't like Facebook that's your choice but you're not going to compete with it.

Talk Baja just went over 63,000 members and we are currently adding somewhere between 600 to 800 new members each month, after we prune out the spammers and trolls, with spammers the biggest problem today.

Many members here did indeed join Talk Baja on Facebook but most of them were already members of the old Talk Baja forum before Facebook.

The demographics of our group today also reflect what I believe sets us apart from Nomad as the overwhelming majority of our new members are younger (20-45 years old) and who are active in Social Media with over 80% of our members today accessing the group via their phones.

Talk Baja is fairly evenly split between males and females (52% - 48%) and probably half of all of new members joining each month now are Mexicans living down here in Baja - a fact that I believe has contributed to keeping the group vibrant and growing.

Our activity numbers did taper off a bit during the pandemic and we are still trailing where we were in late 2019 but they have begun to climb again, with nearly 1.2 million visits to our group in just the last 60 days.

Why do I share this?

I continue to believe there is a great hunger for a place to discuss topics relating to this peninsula but the numbers don't lie - people are using their phones more and more and and you need to adapt to reach a growing /expanding demographic base.

I do agree with you on the futility of attempting to compete directly with Facebook but also agree with many who argue that it is turning into an out of control monster.

Because of that and a few other issues such as the limited number of tools Facebook gives me to deal with the growing spammers issue, I have spent considerable time over the last year exploring other options. And while I have honed down those options to just a couple and have begun building that new forum that should launch early next year, I also accept one unavoidable reality:

I will have to keep the Facebook Group option alive and running - at least for the near future.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The real value of a forum like Nomad, over Facebook, is the ability to catalog data, trip reports, photos, etc. for easy finding.

Facebook posts drop off and get lost forever, it seems. I like reading old posts on Nomad from amigos who are no longer here or past trip reports.

Actually, neither statement is true amigo.

What has made BajaNomad so valuable over time is the sense of community and camaraderie here. There are lots of places online where one can go to find information today but when you add the sense of community and fellowship to the mix, it creates its own chemical bond that helps glue and hold that same community together.

Unfortunately, that glue is old and cracking and the move to a platform that is mobile friendly is long overdue.

Also, it simply is not correct to say that old posts "drop off and get lost forever". That is no more true on Facebook than it is here on Nomad. You simply have to search to find them and while I completely agree with you that the group search tool on Facebook in years past was woeful, it has improved to the point today where it is much easier to find those old posts.

Another point in favor of Facebook is their handling of photos and video. You can upload HD quality images and video and don't have to worry about resizing them and I can still easily access any media that I had uploaded 15 years ago. It doesn't expire or go away due to a hosting provider's change of policy.

Add to that the fact that the vast majority of everybody you have ever met and/or shared common interests with is on Facebook gives the platform an incredible edge.

Yes, some people still proudly wear the "I don't do Facebook" badge but it's like listening to people tell me they don't have a TV in their home.

They are few and far between.

But I will agree with you that Facebook could still improve their internal search engine and group sub-topic handling.

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  

Alternate views of reality? There are no legitimate alternate views.
Reality is the real deal.

I wholeheartedly agree.

However too many people have succumbed to the idea of redefining the very definitions of reality (on both sides of the political spectrum) and why the US today is so divided.

Neither you or I are going to change that amigo and why I made the decision years ago to completely ban the discussion of politics on Talk Baja as I quickly saw how it only leads to more fighting in the group which in turn, alienates an increasing number of members - from both sides of the political aisle.

A few (ex-members) over time have called me a "N-zi Dictator" for enforcing that policy, but I figure the numbers speak for themselves; our growth has never slowed down.

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
In summary...
The future vision of the site is to abandon XMB and move to the Wordpress platform to develop a more diverse site that still highlights the forum board.

...The forum software option that seems the most realistic at this point is Discourse:
https://www.discourse.org

Other considerations have also been:
https://wpforo.com
https://bbpress.org

You and I have discussed this offline Doug and you know that I applaud the transition to another platform. I believe that BajaNomad will see a growth spurt and expanded member demographics from such a move.

I looked at Discourse and even spent some time building a basic working model that I could consider for long term development into an option for our members to migrate to but over time I found some limitations that I believed our members would have a problem with so I continued looking.

In addition to wpforo and bbpress, I would suggest you take a look at BuddyPress and if you see something there you like, take a hard look at one extension of that software - BuddyBoss.

That's just my dos centavos and I congratulate you Doug for keeping this up and running for so long and wish you continued success, long into the future amigo...

[Edited on 12-10-2021 by BajaGringo]

Great perspective. You forgot to mention (as some have alluded to here) BN is much more like a club that you must be accepted into. I doubt that will change and outsiders/newbies will be continue to be run off.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-14-2021 at 03:33 PM

so is the FB site Baja Nomad thats just a collection of stunning photo's affiliated with this group?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2021 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
so is the FB site Baja Nomad thats just a collection of stunning photo's affiliated with this group?

Doug (the host of Baja Nomad) owns that page, too.

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Great perspective. You forgot to mention (as some have alluded to here) BN is much more like a club that you must be accepted into. I doubt that will change and outsiders/newbies will be continue to be run off.

Wow, that is such a different view, I can't help but comment...
Anyone can come here and all points of view are posted here.

If anything, the lack of moderating has hurt Doug's forums more than any kind of 'group-club rules'.

It has indeed boiled down to a few 'bullies' condemning any "stupid" (to them) questions, chasing away newbies, and a few Baja fanatics who have hung in there that help others.

The Trip Reports forum is perhaps the top value here along with great photos and historical interests for those who want to know more about Baja. The General Baja forum is (or was) a place where new friendships have been made.

No way does one need to do what the few other 'keyboard warriors' here says, to be accepted here.
Know that for every few people who contribute here, there are hundreds of people who only read or rarely post.

"Peace, Love, and Fish Tacos," as Perry used to say!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-15-2021 at 07:25 AM

the lack of moderating has hurt Doug's forums

Some agree with this interpretation, but about an equal amount (of people that do contribute here) feel it's over-moderated.

Just sayin'. ;)

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2021 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

the lack of moderating has hurt Doug's forums

Some agree with this interpretation, but about an equal amount (of people that do contribute here) feel it's over-moderated.

Just sayin'. ;)

Right, as they say, you can't please all the people all the time!
:lol::light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.