Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Spirit of the Season
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 07:10 PM
Spirit of the Season

Had so much fun last Christmas camping and kayaking on Isla Angel de la Guarda... doing it again next week.

Excuse last year was the "Bethlehem Star" - the conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter. My companions were the "wise" Baja bears Paddy and Lavender. There over two weeks... didn't see anyone!

Just feral cats, an extraordinary number of ospreys and ravens, and no vultures or coyotes. Gulls and ravens could hardly deal with the all the dead creatures that washed up.

Story was told in my Kindle eBook - Paddy and Lavender's Christmas Adventures. Over 100 color pictures. A kid's book but hopefully with universal appeal with all kinds of information about the trip and the island.

It's a free download for 4 more days. If you're out that way bring honey and tequila. Merry Christmas everyone... sorry I won't be joining you at the malls and parking lots.

IMG_6633a.JPG - 213kB IMG_2538a.JPG - 154kB IMG_1041 (2)a.JPG - 132kB IMG_0538b.JPG - 125kB IMG_2713a.JPG - 168kB IMG_7475a.JPG - 96kB IMG_2912a.JPG - 182kB IMG_7538a.JPG - 239kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 07:14 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TM8WYKQ/ref=dbs_a_def_r...

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 08:12 PM

Merry Christmas Mr. Adventure in Baja! You might want to sneak down for a quick visit to La Bocana!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 08:31 PM

Very nice/generous--thank you! I have a 2 year old niece that will enjoy it!

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 09:31 PM

I am not going anywhere, so if you need wind forecasting via your Spot device, you know my number!
HAVE FUN and keep the bears fed!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 10:50 PM

Very nice. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 11:38 PM

:bounce:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 11:41 PM

That cat is freaky looking. How many did you see and how often?

Any rattle snakes?

No coyotes or you just didn't see any?

[Edited on 12-7-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 11:42 PM

Thanks everyone.

About time I got to visit La Bocana. Maybe see you in January or February.

And thanks David. Your weather updates have always been priceless. Hope to send my "all's well" SPOT signals every day.

Last year blew one night like a hurricane... no fun with two tents and a kayak trying to blow away at 2 AM. Good to be prepared.

IMG_5908a.JPG - 160kB IMG_0078a.JPG - 90kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2021 at 11:52 PM

Yes, cats really "creepy". Hard to spot. Very secretive.

But find several dead ones and tracks are everywhere. Amazing they survive summers out there.

No coyotes... they can't survive lack of water. Simplifies camping... but ravens rule the island and will peck to pieces anything left out.

Island notorious for huge rattlesnakes... hope they'll be dozing while I'm there. Certainly night will be too cold.

Cat.jpg - 217kB IMG_5291a.JPG - 180kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2021 at 08:05 PM

If anyone visits and I'm not "at home"...

I'll be hiking the deep palm canyons or hiking or kayaking the shore.

Generally lose a few pounds with all the exercise.

Island may be uninhabited now... but back in the 1970s there was a major fishcamp there with over 100 pangas working scallop beds. Settlement was bigger than Bahia de los Angeles at the time, and was almost certainly the source of the cats.

Even had a decompression chamber installed... as so many of the scallop divers developed the "bends", and several died.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 06:30 AM

So, the scallop beds must have been quite extensive, I wonder how much is left today?

John
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 09:36 AM

The scallop harvest seemed inexhaustible. Government scientists had investigated the resource and laid down limits for its exploitation. With easy pickings and high profits, all limits were soon ignored and exceeded.

Led to increasing numbers of untrained divers working deeper and deeper, and multiple cases of decompression injury and death, and the eventual complete collapse of the scallop resource.

Story told in detail with photographs and interviews in my Kindle eBook: Marooned With Very Little Beer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062H9PAQ/ref=dbs_a_def_r...

100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 10:34 AM

I got to go out with scallop divers a little over 30 years ago in the Bay of Conception. There was an encampment just south of El Requeson, and we befriended a couple of the divers. On the water, they offered to let me dive too but I took one look at the old, run down, leaky automotive air compressor feeding the diver and decided to stay in the panga and watch. These were quite friendly but fearless young men, not too concerned about safety standards the way we are used to.

They would harvest scallops by the bushel, and return them to shore where the women prepared them. In the end there were stacks of shells 6-8' high and hundreds of clear plastic bags each holding I would guess 10 kilos of meat. Of course we got to bbq some and they were delicious, but I suspect there are not so many of them left now (the Chocolates were thick in the area as well).

I still remember their stories of how many divers had passed away that year, in the teens I believe. One of them had a girlfriend on the mainland and sometimes would take the panga across the Sea of Cortez to see her and return the following day! Were quite the fearless, macho hombres!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 10:56 AM

Have a blessed Christmas, Graham!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Graham  

Story told in detail with photographs and interviews in my Kindle eBook: Marooned With Very Little Beer.

I've read some of that book, my roommate has all your writings down at her place. I probably haven't read that far into it yet.

John
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 03:42 PM

Amazing story 100x... echoes my experience of scallop camps.

The bravado and rusty primitive equipment divers use probably accounts for many decompression injuries... but on Isla Angel de la Guarda those sent to investigate said untrained divers began operating too deep and staying down too long. Hence the decompression chamber. Arrived in Bahia de los Angeles before being shipped to the island in the summer of 1973.

Monday... heading back to LA Bay with my amigos for our second Christmas on the amazing island. Thanks Wilderone for kind wishes. Happy Holidays everyone.

Thursday Dec 9, till midnight, Kindle ebook - Paddy and Lavender's Christmas Adventures - still a free download. Kid's and bear's eye-view of the island.

IMG_7849a.JPG - 93kB

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2021 at 10:19 AM

Thanks Graham

Great post!

I have to get out on that Island.
100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2021 at 10:16 AM

Diving rig!

IMG_2957.jpeg - 139kB

100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2021 at 10:19 AM

David, will you be posting Graham's updates from the island this year?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.