Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Plates for Dirt Bikes
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 08:23 PM

If your heart is set on a 650R, get one and don't look back. I loved mine and miss it often. I ride unsupported on all of our trip and haul everything we need. I would plan on a 200 mile gas range or better if you can.
Watch some youtube videos of trail like the 22 day, Bill Nicholas, cactus, sleeping bag trail and others to see what your comfort level is. I'm headed down in January so I should have a few new ones to share.
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 08:49 PM

Yeah, we'd do unsupported as well. We are a ways from a detailed route plan, but I figure we can spend every second or third night in a town with a motel, so I can travel pretty light. Between now and then we'll do some multi-day trips to make sure we have our gear sorted.

Would you recommend the Acerbis 6 gallon tank, or an IMS 4.3 and carry fuel bottles? If I remember correctly from my friends who had them, they get pretty dismal gas mileage, like 35 mpg. I used to have to give them gas from my 600 with some regularity.
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 09:00 PM

Both tank setups work. The Acerbis is pretty big and works good--check the mounts after a couple hundred miles as they can loosen up with the torque the sloshing gas' weight puts on them. Two zip ties and an 4-5 qt. antifreeze or diesel oil container on each hip also works good but bounces around a bit and is prone to cactus or ocotillo punctures.

Unsupported is the best!

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2021 at 09:45 PM

Two antifreeze containers...

00116F1C-5A55-4099-949D-75F535066134_1_201_a.jpeg - 206kB

[Edited on 12-9-2021 by 100X]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 07:58 AM

We have done a lot of "unsupported " travel/camping on dirt/duelsport
Motorbikes.
I'm now over it.
Why take a good performing moto, the load it down with camping gear to the point of no longer being nimble?
I do have lots of great memories of those camps however.
It's all a compromise.
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 09:10 AM

Looks like you answered your own question.
K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 11:21 AM

Get some stickers made related to your trip for handing out to kids and at military check points. Sounds like a great trip, good luck with the gas.
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
Two antifreeze containers...

[Edited on 12-9-2021 by 100X]

Great picture. What’s the location ?
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajajoaquin  
Yeah, we'd do unsupported as well. We are a ways from a detailed route plan, but I figure we can spend every second or third night in a town with a motel, so I can travel pretty light. Between now and then we'll do some multi-day trips to make sure we have our gear sorted.

Would you recommend the Acerbis 6 gallon tank, or an IMS 4.3 and carry fuel bottles? If I remember correctly from my friends who had them, they get pretty dismal gas mileage, like 35 mpg. I used to have to give them gas from my 600 with some regularity.

Sounds like great trip. I’ve ridden a lot in southern Baja on a 2018 Huqvarna 450 with a stock tank and two 1.5 litre fuel bottles that fit nicely into the side pockets of my hydration pack. I had a range of about 200 kilometres which was more than enough for the areas I was riding in. I would definitely be upgrading to a larger tank to do the trip you are planning but would try to stay as small as possible. For me personally I like to the idea of riding through a town of some sort on a daily basis and keeping the bike as light as possible.
100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 08:24 PM

Copper Canyon

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 09:14 PM

I agree with 100x on the gas storage, but I do prefer it in a big tank. You don't always have to top it off if you don't need it. I will use a antifreeze jug if needed on occasion.
These days I'm with pacificobob on packing the camping gear. Most trips we travel from town ( hotel) to town and only have an emergency style bag. We like to stay a night or two now and make loops out from and area or just ride to the next hotel. The gear takes its toll on bikes and riders. Plus I enjoy interacting with locals and I really enjoy cold beer and warm food.
100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 11:56 PM

advrider, I guess we have grown up...a little!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.