Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: solar panel security
volcano3
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 08:16 AM
solar panel security

Are solar panels a likely candidate for theft? Any suggestions for anti theft devices, and special hurricane protection for panels on roof?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by volcano3  
Are solar panels a likely candidate for theft? Any suggestions for anti theft devices, and special hurricane protection for panels on roof?

In usa building code requires solar panels /roof attachment to be designed for certain wind speeds, design basis is typically 110 mph for most of CA. If I were buying an expensive system in baja I would hire an engineer or competent installer to design it appropriately.
That said, big hurricanes often have wind speeds above bldg code design basis, and direct hit by hurricane is probably going to destroy panels just from flying debris even if panels stay attached to roof…

Anything can be stolen. The good thing about solar panels is they are usually on exterior and up high, and visibility often deters theft.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

volcano3
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 11:42 AM

it is a pre existing 2 panel system, that, thus far......we put on the roof when we are there for vacation.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 12:49 PM

Mexicans prefer easy jobs
wrenching on the roof?
lugging it down?
for $50 a piece?
I don't think so

they will take a few cans of Campbells's soup in the kitchen
your laptop
you camera
your phone
your flat screen (unless it is bolted to the wall)
they love car batteries (don't leave your car unlocked on your property)
they like shovels in your garden
even though more expensive - they don't touch garden hoses

until I got dogs, I had regular unwanted "visitors" (despite 10ft wall)

Harald Pietschmann
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 01:29 PM

I would be more concerned about adequate mounting and shielding in high winds than thieves. First thing I looked at when mine were installed, and the installer did a very thorough job. Before he designed the install his first question was how much protection and shielding the parapets were going to give. Pays to pay a bit extra on installation to get it done well.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 02:15 PM

they'll be safer from theft bolted down on the roof than stored in the house, man I love being ON the grid now!:D

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 02:27 PM

Perhaps use tamper-resistant (tamper proof) screws and bolts to prevent theft. Such as: https://www.mcmaster.com/tamper-resistant-screws/

There are one-way wood screws, however, future removal is difficult. Tamper-resistant allows for removal. Thieves will not have the specific "key" tool.

A cheap solution is to peen the exposed bolt threads after tightening the nut. The downside is that, should you have to remove the bolts at a later date, it will require some cutting or grinding.
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 12-9-2021 at 08:01 PM

I had my panels mounted on a concrete flat roof. The framing was such that I could adjust the angle of the panels and when we were gone during the summer I would put them flat on the roof and pinned in that position. No problems for many years.
volcano3
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2021 at 08:07 AM

thank you for all the ideas
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2023 at 08:49 AM

Common thiefs are opportunists and will steal anything, anytime, anywhere.

My flip-flops were stolen. Women designer jeans from a clothesline. Pocket knife at a checkpoint. Binocs at another checkpoint.

A neighbor who was gone for the season had his home broken into. Steel doors, metal bars on windows embedded in concrete with a full time neighbor next door.

Sometimes easy, sometimes not. If time is on their side, they'll get in.

Leaving a home for the season, with no one living there, even a p/t caretaker, is an invitation to theft.

Best deterrent is a walled home with dogs inside that will bark at intruders in the area. Underestimating thief's is a mistake.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2023 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

My flip-flops were stolen. Women designer jeans from a clothesline. Pocket knife at a checkpoint. Binocs at another checkpoint.

A neighbor who was gone for the season had his home broken into. Steel doors, metal bars on windows embedded in concrete with a full time neighbor next door.

Leaving a home for the season, with no one living there, even a p/t caretaker, is an invitation to theft.

Best deterrent is a walled home with dogs inside that will bark at intruders in the area. Underestimating thief's is a mistake.

Last thing I had stole was a large cooler full of craft beer.

We were doing a road trip from LA to Telluride about a year ago. Spent the night in Scottsdale and bought a bunch of beers I have never had.

Stopped at a tiny town in New Mexico for the night. In the AM my cooler was gone. Wasn't very happy!

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2023 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

How'd they get in? My conclusion after seeing multiple break-ins, is that a lot of this impressive-looking grillwork and such, is more show than utility.

Chipped, drilled, hammered, all without disturbing a full time neighbor 100m away. Saw the damage to the wall. Wrought iron, cast iron, rebar -- don't know what's being used on these window. If a thief has enough time, these bars won't keep them out.

There's a family in Pescadero with a bunch of brothers who are reputed to be organized at this stuff. Bad hombres.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2023 at 12:53 PM

Any good racking system will have wind rating charts, everything you need to know to install your system.

I had six systems in the eye of hurricane 2 years ago.

I had rated them for upper Cat 2 range winds.

They all came on as soon as the grid was back up with no damage.

I was worried more about flying debris breaking modules but not one had an issue.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2023 at 05:08 PM

For security I used floatflyer's method and drop them flat when I'm gone. The roof pitch is away from the road and they aren't really visible. They've survived typical B de LA north and west winds while up and hurricanes Odile and Kay while down. I used an RV mounting system.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-31-2023 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Last thing I had stole was a large cooler full of craft beer.

We were doing a road trip from LA to Telluride about a year ago. Spent the night in Scottsdale and bought a bunch of beers I have never had.

Stopped at a tiny town in New Mexico for the night. In the AM my cooler was gone. Wasn't very happy!

Half pint
Since you travel with private security, i am surprised you were victim of theft. You need to redesign your security, maybe change out guards that are slacking.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.