BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: If you encountered a snow storm coming down the mountain from Picacho del Diablo
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-22-2021 at 12:30 PM

watched the video again

ABS seemed to work on all of them
ABS does not keep you from locking up 2 wheels on one axle - usually the front
if there is not enough traction (snow, ice) no brake (ABS or not) will stop you

the main factor in this video - PANIC
foot on the brake until the end

the ones who made it got off the brake to be able to steer
some even added gas - good move!
they did best

to be able to do that one needs to have practiced that
practice on flat sow (often)
mental training also helps

heavy vehicles do worse on this slide because they have more mass
the initial speed on top of the hill is also a factor

another little know factor:
part time 4WD (most pickups, older Jeeps) cancels ABS
some vehicles have a warning light to make you aware
some don't

really good 4WD have a button to turn off ABS manually
good for Baja dirt roads
locked up wheels in dirt have a much shorter stopping distance than ABS
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/ABS_offroad.html

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-22-2021 at 12:52 PM
Something to watch for when driving frozen roads

Frozen roads are most dangerouse when they are near the melt/freeze point. Things can change rapidly in a short distance due to microclimates caused by topography, elevation changes, angle and aspect of sunlight and other factors,

When I first arrived in Alaska, a truck driver that I knew from California days asked me if I would like to ride along on a round trip from Anchorage to Valdez. That is a trip through three separate climate systems.

One thing he told me he watches, is his tires, and the tires of oncoming trucks. If the tire treads are running frosty white, traction is as good as it can be (that doesn't mean good!). If they are running black and the road is frosty, that means you are running on a film of water and traction is bad!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-22-2021 at 01:30 PM

I grew up in a remote part of Minnesota generally referred to as "Up North." I drove through, shoveled and plowed so much snow that I have nightmares about it 60 years later. When I left I vowed that my future interaction with snow would be viewing it on distant mountains and I have been mostly successful in my quest to keep it that way.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-22-2021 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
I grew up in a remote part of Minnesota generally referred to as "Up North." I drove through, shoveled and plowed so much snow that I have nightmares about it 60 years later. When I left I vowed that my future interaction with snow would be viewing it on distant mountains and I have been mostly successful in my quest to keep it that way.

also from Minnesota I couldn't agree more! too cold for me here in baja norte, thank god we turned the corner yesterday:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-23-2021 at 11:04 AM

New vehicles come with stability and hill decent features. It would be interesting to try out for a downhill drive on an icy or snowy road. Yes I have 3 cars with those features. but so far no testing.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2021 at 11:14 PM

I have to fully agree with Harald on that latest post. Hard to get much experience driving icy roads in Baja, but keep the mind in gear and don't freeze up in panic mode, something I also observed. A tire sliding and locked up on wet ice gives you zero control. ABS is a life saver for the panic types in most situations, but not 100% of the time. I think my natural reaction in this situation would have been to get off the brake, throw in neutral and steer to the ditch. Far better to get stuck in the ditch than get into a 2 vehicle collision.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2021 at 10:02 AM

For sure you can move it.

They want you to move your cars out of the way for all accidents unless someone was injured.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 07:18 AM
I slid through my own intersection last night!

Six members of my family came down from Alaska to spend Christmas with our large, extended family here in Nevada County (CA). I attended the dinner get-together at a home on Banner Mountain, at about 3400 ft elevation.

The heavy rain turned to snow while I was there, and dumped a few inches of wet, slick stuff on the road. I left early, (which turned out to be at the peak of the snow fall) and had to navigate a fairly sleep down slope to a T-intersection.

The antilock brakes did what they could to keep my Trooper on the right track, but I don't think I could have stopped, even at the slow speed I was maintaining.

I thought of this thread and put the transmission in neutral, steering safely through the intersection while making a left turn. Thankfully, there was no cross traffic!

[Edited on 12-26-2021 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 07:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The antilock brakes did what they could to keep my Trooper on the right track, but I don't think I could have stopped, even at the slow speed I was maintaining.

I thought of this thread and put the transmission in neutral, steering safely through the intersection while making a left turn. Thankfully, there was no cross traffic!

Wow, how amazing able to apply advice from BN in the real world! Glad you made it safely home, sounds pretty nerve wracking!

John

[Edited on 12-26-2021 by John Harper]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Wow, how amazing able to apply advice from BN in the real world! Glad you made it safely home, sounds pretty nerve wracking!

John

It is about eight miles, and a thousand foot elevation change from the in-laws house, to mine. I left in a blizzard, was out of the snow about halfway home, and did not even need my wipers by the time I got here!

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2021 at 02:05 PM

Looks like we won't be having to worry about coming down the mountain for a while. This advisory was posted on 28 December 2021.

Parque Nacional Sierra de San Pedro Mártir

🚨CERRADO HASTA NUEVO AVISO 🚨
👩‍💻Oficina abierta de lunes a viernes
☎️ (646) 17230-00 ext. 3229
✉️ parquenacional@sanpedromartir.org

[Edited on 12-28-2021 by Maderita]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.