BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Driving from la Paz to Mulege - Fun stops along the way?
KristinS

[*] posted on 12-18-2021 at 09:08 AM
Driving from la Paz to Mulege - Fun stops along the way?

Hey all - we’re driving from la Paz to Mulege on Monday day (with two kids!) and want to plan a few stops along the way to break up the trip. Any suggestions…for food? Sites? Nice towns? Thanks in advance!! :)
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 12-18-2021 at 09:30 AM

San Javier side trip
Loreto
Vista al Mar/Clam Shack few miles south of Loreto
K49 north of Loreto and 10 (dirt) miles to beach
El Requeson
Santispac

[Edited on 12-18-2021 by 100X]

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-18-2021 at 10:40 AM

That is about a five or six hour drive, which doesn't leave a lot of time for side trips with the short winter days. Is camping, or lodging along the way part of the plan, or is this a one day trip?

I agree that Saj Javier is a great side trip, and good road too!

If your vehicle is OK for dirt roads, the side trip down to Agua Verde is one you won't forget. The restaurant at the turn off has been good both times I have used it.

Central Loreto and the Malecon are good places to walk around a bit. I usually don't spend much time in any urban centers anymore, but it could be fun for your family discovering what is there!

My choice would be heading towards San Evaristo on the coast road, then up over the pass back to highway one, but that is a route that will add a lot of time, and challenge for anything but a rugged vehicle.

Good luck making memories!

[Edited on 12-18-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-18-2021 at 03:41 PM

Hi Kristin, sounds like this is a single day event and not a 5 day one?
The drive to Mulegé from La Paz is a long one and the days are short. I bet you won't leave at sunrise!
That said, the only break that may be fun, is a beach break.
Not far after you get to the bottom of the big grade, see sign for Ligüí, and a dirt road to the beach, only 1 mile form the highway (Playa Ligüí).
Another one is closer to Mulegé, but a super place, called Playa El Requesón, on the big Bahía Concepción.
Great for the kids... Or, if hungry, a mile past there is Playa Buenaventura. Beach fun there plus cantina!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2021 at 09:00 AM

You should make an overnight in Loreto. La Paz to Ciudad Insurgentes if boring. When you get to Cf. Insurgentes, got north a bit more to Santo Domingo, then go east on the road to San Javier. Before you get there, however, there is a rancho with a guide who can take you to see some pictographs in a cave - great old Californio Rancho. I think there's a sign on the road (it's right on the road). then there's a natural reserve town (sign on the road) - go into that town and a bit further and see the river there. then on to San Javier mission. Then, as you're coming out of Sierra de la Gigante to Loreto, stop at that restaurant just before you get to the main road. This route is a snapshot essence of Baja California
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2021 at 10:12 AM

Wilderone, sounds like a good plan, but we still don't know what the OP is driving. I drove that road last year, and the numerous arroyo crossings and access points to the arroyo will test many vehicles and drivers, even with low water levels.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2021 at 07:06 PM

All those suggestions: Pretty much besides all facts. La Paz / Mulege is a 4, max (if you drive very slowly) a 5 hours short trip. The road is widened a long stretch. Starting a 7 am with a roady coffee in hands, you are in Mulege when the Sun is at its hihghest level: Noon!
So? Pretty much time for whatever you want to see along the road.
Overnighting in Loreto??? For what? Loreto to Mulege is a píece of cake and is done in less than 2 hours even if the military statio/control North of Loreto is slow. Not much traffic these days and the military is mostly not busy. But my advice: Do whatever you want to do - but get to Mulege beforte nightfall. Do not drive after nightfall !!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2021 at 07:34 PM
4 hours max?

The mileage charts I checked show it as over 300 miles! Averaging 75 mph non-stop is not possible!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-19-2021 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
All those suggestions: Pretty much besides all facts. La Paz / Mulege is a 4, max (if you drive very slowly) a 5 hours short trip. The road is widened a long stretch. Starting a 7 am with a roady coffee in hands, you are in Mulege when the Sun is at its hihghest level: Noon!
So? Pretty much time for whatever you want to see along the road.
Overnighting in Loreto??? For what? Loreto to Mulege is a píece of cake and is done in less than 2 hours even if the military statio/control North of Loreto is slow. Not much traffic these days and the military is mostly not busy. But my advice: Do whatever you want to do - but get to Mulege beforte nightfall. Do not drive after nightfall !!!

You may want to add the three kilometer totals from La Paz to Mulegé. It is so far, the numbers reset to zero twice along the way (at Ciudad Insurgents and Loreto).

See the Nomad Kilometer List, posted in the Road Conditions forum.

5 hours driving time, more or less. perhaps 7 or 8 hour trip if you stop for lunch, stop a few times to pee, gas up, etc.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-19-2021 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

You may want to add the three kilometer totals from La Paz to Mulegé. It is so far It is so far, the numbers reset to zero twice along the way (at Ciudad Insurgents and Loreto).

See the Nomad Kilometer List, posted in the Road Conditions forum.

DK: on your next trip, try google maps, it's a neat product rolled out 10 or 15 years ago, you use it for navigation, finding travel distances, etc. it gives you mileage for an entire route so you dont have to add figures from various maps, road logs and "KM lists" (whatever those are). google maps, pretty slick software! Try it!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2021 at 08:14 AM

Well, seems to me that the response to reality is done by very old man, who have to pee several times during 4 hours of driving. And cannot stay on the road without having lunch before lunchtime. I am driving the stretch Cabo San Lucas to Mulege - and that includes La Paz - several times a year. About evry second month to be precise. And I need 6 1/2 hours - max 7 if military is slow - from CSL to Mulege incl gas stop. So, seems that only those 100 years old Nomads did response to this thread.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2021 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KristinS  
Hey all - we’re driving from la Paz to Mulege on Monday day (with two kids!) and want to plan a few stops along the way to break up the trip. Any suggestions…for food? Sites? Nice towns? Thanks in advance!! :)

Spend the night in Loreto. Try to get there around 2pm (4 hour drive). Take the kids out to Coronado island. Lots of panga's at the marina, just walk up and ask for one. Cost is less than $100 to go out to the island for 3-4 hours. You'll get to see the sunset over Baja, perfect white sand beaches, and a sea lion colony.

Stay at La Mision hotel (2 min walk to the marina, beautiful ocean front hotel). Dinner at Domingo’s (fantastic steak house). See mission San Javier in the AM before heading on. Most beautiful mission in all of Baja.

[Edited on 12-20-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2021 at 01:51 PM

JZ is spot on. Loreto is wonderful. The Mission hotel is great (a little pricey but oh so worth it).

San Javier if you have a good vehicle. It is pretty incredible once you get there.

The beaches in Bahia Concepcion are really lovely but not sure if swimmable or too cold??

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2021 at 02:34 AM

Ah but I did David. Since i will be shortly (I hope) travelling that route I will take note of your suggestions. (I'm an old guy that needs to stop to pee lots)

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
KristinS

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone! After a lost-key-situation on the morning, we had no time for stopping after all!! But after 4 great nights in Mulege, we’re now in loreto for 6 days - and just returned from a great day at San Javier, we couldn’t miss it after all of your reccos! Thanks again! :)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 07:38 PM

Merry Christmas and thanks for the update.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 08:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KristinS  
Thanks everyone! After a lost-key-situation on the morning, we had no time for stopping after all!! But after 4 great nights in Mulege, we’re now in loreto for 6 days - and just returned from a great day at San Javier, we couldn’t miss it after all of your reccos! Thanks again! :)

Spend a $100 and take the kiddo's out to Isla Coronado. It's only a 15 min boat ride. They will never forget it.

Take beer and wine for the adults.

You'll see a lot of sea lions.

[Edited on 12-27-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 09:42 PM

Nice pic's JZ, that on my list to visit.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.