BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Big rain forecast Dec 23-24. Watch out!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-30-2021 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am sure that some of you are aware of the snowfall on Donner summit, but just west of there in Grass Valley, we got hammered!

I have seen more snow than this in the past, but never so much damage from fallen and broken trees. I have had no power at my house since Christmas night, and all of the places that I would usually go for public WIFI were also shut down! Comcast is finally on line at the Raley's market near me, so I can catch up a little.

I have family down from Alaska, but they did not bring winter clothing to California, so it has been a challenge. Fortunately, I have a wood stove for heat, a gas fired water heater and stove, but it has been a challenge cooking and cleaning for eight people with no electricity!

I will have to catch up on more later, since I am on a pizza run right now. Stores and restaurants are just now able to open up again, so no cooking and cleaning tonight!

With anthropogenic global warming causing so many extremes, best become Mormon-like and stash food in the basement to provide care for ourselves and our neighbors in the upcoming frequent natural disasters…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-30-2021 at 06:27 PM

I wish we had global warming! Everything improves with warmer climate/ weather/ whatever. Freeeking cold now! Give me summer, all year long!! LOL:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 12-30-2021 at 06:35 PM

Not bad for “the worst drought in recorded history”! The Governor of California (US) was on TV a month or so ago quoting his “experts” on the continuing drought! It pretty much hasn't stopped raining and snowing since then! California snow pack is about 170% of normal!

You might want to consider their accuracy on things you can’t easily check based on the things you can see for yourself! Things like rain and snow! You might also consider that these same people let millions move into a desert without building the necessary infrastructure to support the millions!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-30-2021 at 06:35 PM

Shoot, Mt. Goat---------I been storing emergency food and water for decades------you know, "just in case".
barry
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2021 at 09:06 PM

Barry: As did my grandparents prior to the dustbowl years. They had to rely on their own stored supplies, couldn't blame the government when things turned bad on them and they were caught short. We finally filled in the original water cistern back in 1968 after we expanded the well supply.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2021 at 09:25 PM

They still don't have agreement on what caused the centuries long little ice age, but the most commonly accepted presently is unusual volcanic action. Could this be behind this recent unusually cold year across the northern hemisphere or is it solar activity as many others think? Coincidentally, it also contained the worst pandemic plague period ever recorded.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2021 at 08:45 AM

It poured here in Bahia Asuncion last night. I'm certain the arroyos are flooded. I've never seen or heard of it raining so hard for so long here.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-31-2021 at 09:24 AM

From Graham on the east side of Isla Angel de la Guarda, at 7:15 this morning:

Message: Forecast right. Started rain at 10 pm. rain all night. Heavy at times. Rocks falling. Glad I was prepared. Thanks amigo. Hope clears soon.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2021 at 05:30 PM

We were in BOLA last night. Major storm most of the night starting right about 10 pm. Driving North today there was a lot of standing water, and rock slides. The arroyos were clear though.

[Edited on 1-1-2022 by phmilo]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2021 at 07:08 PM

.76” of rain from yesterdays storm at our place south of San Felipe. Not much runoff! It’s going to be another great wildflower year! We’ve had an inch of rain in December!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-31-2021 at 07:37 PM

Over 200 inches of snow fell on Donner Summit this month!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/28/us/california-december-snow-r...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2021 at 08:01 PM

Just posted:

High wind and snow warning for the mountains in Northern Baja!

1537CF5A-716A-47DE-BB69-C2A03854D07E.jpeg - 321kB
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-2-2022 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Not bad for “the worst drought in recorded history”! The Governor of California (US) was on TV a month or so ago quoting his “experts” on the continuing drought! It pretty much hasn't stopped raining and snowing since then! California snow pack is about 170% of normal!

You might want to consider their accuracy on things you can’t easily check based on the things you can see for yourself! Things like rain and snow! You might also consider that these same people let millions move into a desert without building the necessary infrastructure to support the millions!

It is important to note that the 170% refers to normal for this point in the season, not for the winter's total. Here on the Central Coast we are a couple of inches ahead of normal but that will mean nothing unless a wet winter continues. Fingers crossed that it does but far too early to say drought is over.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2022 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

It is important to note that the 170% refers to normal for this point in the season, not for the winter's total. Here on the Central Coast we are a couple of inches ahead of normal but that will mean nothing unless a wet winter continues. Fingers crossed that it does but far too early to say drought is over.

I recall many years when it was virtually dry from January to late March or even April, which dimmed early seasonal expectations after heavy snowfall. Let's not count our chickens too soon.

John

[Edited on 1-3-2022 by John Harper]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-2-2022 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I recall many years when it was virtually dry from January to late March or even April, which dimmed early seasonal expectations after heavy snowfall. Let's not count our chickens too soon.

Boom, or bust is the nature of rain or snow totals in the Sierra Nevada range. An "average" year is actually not normal!

Five years ago, we had so much snow that my ski area was able to open up for the 4th of July, and the next year they were never able to open the full mountain!

The power is still out on my street, so it will be at least seven nights with no electricity. While this type of storm is uncommon, it is no worse than many I have seen here before over the years.

The infrastructure of our county has many older power lines that have remained mostly unchanged, while the trees next to the lines have been allowed to become huge, old growth hazards, mixed with clusters of undergrowth trees trying to outgrow each other.

If anybody really feels like hugging a tree, they are laying everywhere up here! It is a forest management issue more than climate change.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2022 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Boom, or bust is the nature of rain or snow totals in the Sierra Nevada range. An "average" year is actually not normal!

Five years ago, we had so much snow that my ski area was able to open up for the 4th of July, and the next year they were never able to open the full mountain!

The power is still out on my street, so it will be at least seven nights with no electricity. While this type of storm is uncommon, it is no worse than many I have seen here before over the years.

The infrastructure of our county has many older power lines that have remained mostly unchanged, while the trees next to the lines have been allowed to become huge, old growth hazards, mixed with clusters of undergrowth trees trying to outgrow each other.

If anybody really feels like hugging a tree, they are laying everywhere up here! It is a forest management issue more than climate change.

AK, I'm just over the hill from you in Plumas county and we had that heavy wet stuff a week prior to yours. I've never seen trees just topple mid way up like they did this year.

My son-in-law is a lineman for our local electrical utility co-op and he logged 82 hours OT in a 10 day period. But, our lights were never off for more than five hours!

[Edited on 1-3-2022 by BajaParrothead]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2022 at 08:28 PM

Hopefully CA will spend some of the billions they will get for infrastructure on fixing some of the issues.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2022 at 02:02 AM

What a downpour in Agua Verde! The roof of my camper was being hammered all night. I was worried about flash flooding but it never happened. There are a few more rocks on the road above Los Cosimo but nothing you can't drive around. All is drying out again. The vegetation looked like it needed the water. The Palo Blancos were all leafless.
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2022 at 11:22 AM

We got steady rain in Las Animas a couple of nights. Stayed nice and dry in the two Sportsmobiles that came :bounce:; tent and cot campers not so much...:no:

All in all, a beautiful trip! So nice to be inside bundled up and listening to the rain come down reading a good book and sipping on a cup of coffee. No dust on the road home was another huge plus! Will have to eventually wash off all the mud from the rig -kids made me hit every big puddle on the way back into town...
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2022 at 03:50 PM
I got the power!

I drove out to my property to check for storm damage, but there is still too much snow to drive through it. When I got back home, the power crews had repaired the line serving my street!

It is mid way through day ten, the longest outage my family has ever experienced here since my dad bought the house in 1947. There have been many storms with much more snow, but the extent of damaged, and downed trees in this event has never been seen before!

I am sure that some of the more rural roads are as much as a week away from energizing the main lines.

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.