Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Review on Pete's Camp San Felipe
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-23-2021 at 11:22 PM
Review on Pete's Camp San Felipe

We camp in a van and stayed several nights in San Felipe at Pete's camp. Level sites, pretty much on the beach, killer view, non-crowded beach that you could walk for miles on, showers and clean bathrooms and a restaurant and bar too. The food was good! Internet service at the campground wasn't very good but up at the restaurant and office area it works pretty darn good!

If you're not camping, stop at the restaurant in your travels.

We really enjoyed our time there and don't have anything bad to say about it!

We'll be back (in my best Arnold voice)
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2021 at 11:49 PM

Pete's is good, stayed there a few times. Our go to in SF is Kiki's, nice clean and walking distance to town.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-24-2021 at 09:22 AM

Thank you, Luna!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2021 at 03:49 PM

I have always liked Pete's Camp for the food and drinks. I've never stayed there but I know people that have homes there. Good place.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 12-24-2021 at 05:33 PM

They have put a ton of money into the RV pads lately. Half of them look like they have a dump port and water and all of them have power I believe. Palapas are gone tho.

IMG_2420.jpg - 156kB

IMG_2419.jpg - 145kB

[Edited on 12-25-2021 by Bajazly]

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2021 at 11:11 AM

WOW, looks amazing. I'm going to have to stop in and take a look around. Seems like they have made some major upgrades to the camping area.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 03:43 PM

What are they charging now to camp on the beach? Can you just find a spot on the beach or do you have to camp at the new full hook up sites ?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 03:53 PM

More 'modernized' than it was in March of 2017:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 05:00 PM

Nice photo of the rock work! It will be interesting to see how it holds up during the next named storm.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
What are they charging now to camp on the beach? Can you just find a spot on the beach or do you have to camp at the new full hook up sites ?

Cant remember exactly what they said for camping there but it is pretty spendy. I want to say $50 for a full hook up and $30 for camping but that may not be right and camping now is under one of those covers. Not sure if they will allow just a spot on the beach. I'll see if I can stop by in the next day or two and see what they say.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2021 at 06:25 PM

Thanks I would appreciate the info. I like that place but the cost of staying there just keeps going up.

I guess I am a “cheap Canadian” Eh.
missejc

[*] posted on 12-24-2022 at 12:04 PM
cheap Canuck too

I must be a cheap Canuck too because 30$ for dry camping is more than I can pay. Has anyone stayed at El Campo on the north side of town? Is Kiki's a similar price to camp? This time of year should I try to get a reservation? thanks
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2022 at 07:50 AM

If one is at any business in baja, and notices most other customers are gringos, one can assume they are over paying.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2022 at 06:00 PM

With all the open space in Baja why camp at a campground?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-26-2022 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

TMW, it's a complete head-scratcher for me, too.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2022 at 06:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Like you guys, I also go to Baja as a escape from civilization!
However, there are many who fear strange places enough to need the 'security' of camping with others around or want creature comforts, like a toilet, shower, palapa, etc.

July 2011, Shell Island

I bring everything we need and camp on a beach where usually we only see birds and critters who live there!

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2022 at 08:10 AM

In a word, fear.

[Edited on 12-27-2022 by pacificobob]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-27-2022 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

In a word, fear.

[Edited on 12-27-2022 by pacificobob]

I don’t think it is fear. Lots of RVers prefer campgrounds with hookups over boondocking. Many people like to feel like they are camping, but also be surrounded by people and amenities. To them, it is simply enough to be parked at the beach.

Different strokes for different folks.

I know many people with vans/RVs who go “camping” frequently. Many of these people tell me they would never consider sleeping on the ground.

[Edited on 12-27-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2022 at 10:48 AM

Around populated areas I prefer to stay in a paid campo. This includes places like BOLA, the Pacific coast north of San Quntin, or any other place that is within walking distance or an easy drive from a town.

It is not because I need flush toilets and a shower; paid campgrounds offer a little more security than camping solo. They usually have someone to keep an eye on things, and a phone. Campo owners can also be a good source of information about interesting things to see in the surrounding area.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2022 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Around populated areas I prefer to stay in a paid campo. This includes places like BOLA, the Pacific coast north of San Quntin, or any other place that is within walking distance or an easy drive from a town.

It is not because I need flush toilets and a shower; paid campgrounds offer a little more security than camping solo. They usually have someone to keep an eye on things, and a phone. Campo owners can also be a good source of information about interesting things to see in the surrounding area.

Good points!
At L.A. Bay, I have camped on the sand spit with a lighthouse "Punta Arena" (in the 1960s), the government campground/trailer park (in the 1970s), La Gringa (in the 1980s), and more recently, Campo Archelon (in 2016), which is next to the abandoned government campground.
It all depends on what you like, what is available, who you are with, what you are driving, etc.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.