Pages:  1  ..  9    11  
Author: Subject: Los Cabos Visitors to be Tested for COVID
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-23-2022 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/dhs-requires-non-us-tr...

I feel better flying from Boston to Cabo next week knowing that my fellow travelers need to show proof of vaccination.

On a somewhat related note, I wonder how early I need to be at the airport for a 6AM flight?

Hi PaulDavid:I take it from this post you have found a source indicating that they will require a vaccine passport to fly to Cabo now? When we last flew in they required a questionaire to be filled in and when we arrived in Cabo they didn't wish to see it and just waved us through. Has this changed?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-23-2022 at 11:42 AM

British Columbia and several countries begin relaxing restrictions based on the present Science. Canada, US and Mexico don't appear to be quite there yet and are adding additional ones due to reduced Health care staffing. Mid Feb maybe?

https://vancouversun.com/health/flu-ization-why-omicron-is-c...

[Edited on 1-23-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2022 at 11:46 AM

Am I going crazy or did I have a post removed from this thread?

I believe at least one other was removed and another post might have been modified but does not note that a modification was done.

Is this a common occurrence?

How do I find out why it was removed?

Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!!!!

John
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2022 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

I believe at least one other was removed and another post might have been modified but does not note that a modification was done.

Yes, you and JZ got your responses removed. MtGoat can insult and be a pig.
That is why many have abandoned this site.

Any chance you will be joining them?
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2022 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/dhs-requires-non-us-tr...

I feel better flying from Boston to Cabo next week knowing that my fellow travelers need to show proof of vaccination.

Hi PaulDavid:I take it from this post you have found a source indicating that they will require a vaccine passport to fly to Cabo now? When we last flew in they required a questionaire to be filled in and when we arrived in Cabo they didn't wish to see it and just waved us through. Has this changed?

I read the article too quickly and missed that it was a requirement for "non-US individuals" to show proof of vaccination before entering the U.S. from a Mexican or Canadian port of entry via land. The requirement already exists for air travelers returning to the U.S. from international destinations (covered in a different thread).

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-23-2022 at 05:46 PM

Hi PaulDavid: Thanks, yes, I will definitely have to be aware of what the land crossing requirements become in future for driving across the US.
Good at present, but that could change any time, so am prepared to fly over the US and just meet the much milder Mexico entry requirements in a month or two. Ya never know what the future holds in these quickly changing times and they could bar Canadians altogether again from the US anytime.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!!!!

John

A large portion of posts are removed, particularly, those with links to peer reviewed studies, or public statements from CDC, WHO, FDA that apparently demonstrate changing narratives over time, not sure why the admin would want to delete such a large a thorough library or collected research that is easily searchable.

I copy the posts and save them since they are valuable to maintain context, but the site loses a great deal of value by such broad strokes of censure based on short sighted moderation. I doubt he even read the studies or comments?

Now most of these threads are left with only insults from a few posters and the substance is removed? Is it quite frustrating and odd.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 08:35 AM

The todos santos/pescadero area is rife with covid
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

We have until 1/27 to cancel our AirBnB reservation without losing the entire cost - we'd still be out the 50% deposit. We're not adverse to canceling, and are continuing to communicate with friends and acquaintances who live in the area. Some events have been canceled, but others continue unabated. We made our plans nearly 6 months ago, when things were looking much more optimistic. It's tough to make a final call from over 3,000 miles away.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 10:37 AM

People are in fear, which results in stress and many catch a cold, sniffles, congestion, a cough, etc, it's inconvenient but it passes with common treatments to reduce symptoms, hot soups, tea, vitamin B, C, D, Zinc decongestants etc. You can easily create a emergency cold symptom treatment protocol with typical medicine and vitamins and bring it with you or purchase when you arrive.

Life goes on. Most people have already caught the cold and it passed. Baja is a wilderness, if you want to go out for a hike or swim alone you can easily be alone, if you feel like being social you can be social.

There is no reason to cancel a trip if you are healthy and have the time and resources to go, unless the fear is overwhelming for you. It is important to manage your personal health, both mental and physical and stay busy, work, hobbies, learning, etc.
bajaben
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 12:04 PM

We have until 1/27 to cancel our AirBnB reservation without losing the entire cost - we'd still be out the 50% deposit. We're not adverse to canceling, and are continuing to communicate with friends and acquaintances who live in the area. Some events have been canceled, but others continue unabated. We made our plans nearly 6 months ago, when things were looking much more optimistic. It's tough to make a final call from over 3,000 miles away.

Sometimes a host will allow you to change a reservation for a later date due to extenuating circumstances. If this does not qualify for that I don't know what else would.

[Edited on 1-24-2022 by bajaben]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaben  

Sometimes a host will allow you to change a reservation for a later date due to extenuating circumstances. If this does not qualify for that I don't know what else would.

[Edited on 1-24-2022 by bajaben]

Yes, sometimes hosts would offer this. They will also sometimes offer to refund what the guest loses by cancelling if the host is able to rebook the cancelled dates, although they are under no obligation to do this.

But it is absolutely not an extenuating circumstance. Airbnb refunded all guests in full back in March/April 2020 due to Covid, when everone wass taken by surprise, but at this point it is evident to everyone that travelling during a pandemis is risky, whether it means exposing oneself to Covid, having flights cancelled with little warning, ever-changing regulations and quarantine and testing requirements, lockdowns, or rising rates of infection.

So a smart traveler would spring for travel insurance- Airbnb hosts are not de facto travel insurers and it's rude to block a host's calendar with one's booking, only to cancel last minute because one is wary about travelling and then expect some kind of refund beyond what one is entitled to under the liisting's cancellation policy, or agreement to a date change. If the host is amenable, great, but they are under no obligation to do so.

The only Covid-related circumstance presently covered by the Airbnb extenuating circumstances policy is if the guest tests positive for Covidand can provide Airbnb with documentation thereof.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 01:46 PM

The good airlines have stopped charging change fees (examples: Delta, Alaska). Delta just sent me an email last week extending the date to use eCredits until the end of 2023. If you pay a little more you can get $'s back instead of just a credit.

Most hotels allow you to cancel right up to a few days of your stay. Even then, if you have Gold status on someone like Hotels.com they will call the hotel for you and generally get it cancelled for free.

Bad airlines like United and American, good luck.

Travel insurance has so many caveats that it is pretty worthless.

Hopefully your AirBnB host is nicer than the Little Lady.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 02:56 PM

It is common to think that the posts you post have merit and should stay while those who don't agree with you have no merit.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2022 at 06:10 AM

My AirBnB host has been very gracious, even setting aside the property for five additional days should I test positive for Covid before my scheduled departure. Given that this is prime tourist season, he would be missing out on some nice income should I test negative.

As for cancellation, the website redirects me to "My Trips" which spells out the timelines:

My understanding is that I could file a claim for a full refund in the event that I test positive a few days of my trip, in which case I would have to provide documentation in support of that claim. There is no recourse for getting cold feet, and yes, although the virus seemed to be under control when we made our plans 6 months ago, we did know that there was risk involved.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2022 at 11:01 PM

My AirBnB host has been very gracious, even setting aside the property for five additional days should I test positive for Covid before my scheduled departure.

My understanding is that I could file a claim for a full refund in the event that I test positive a few days of my trip, in which case I would have to provide documentation in support of that claim. There is no recourse for getting cold feet, and yes, although the virus seemed to be under control when we made our plans 6 months ago, we did know that there was risk involved.

That is very nice of your host. But cancelling for a full refund if you test positive wouldn't be a very nice thing to do to the host. Airbnb has been doing this, so of course guests use it, but I can tell you that hosts are really upset about it. People's reservations blocking their calendars to other bookings, only to have the guests cancel last minute, with no time to get the dates rebooked. It is really harming hosts' livelihoods who depend on their rental income. Airbnb is treating hosts like de facto travel insurers.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2022 at 11:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
The good airlines have stopped charging change fees (examples: Delta, Alaska). Delta just sent me an email last week extending the date to use eCredits until the end of 2023. If you pay a little more you can get $'s back instead of just a credit.

Most hotels allow you to cancel right up to a few days of your stay. Even then, if you have Gold status on someone like Hotels.com they will call the hotel for you and generally get it cancelled for free.

Bad airlines like United and American, good luck.

Travel insurance has so many caveats that it is pretty worthless.

Hopefully your AirBnB host is nicer than the Little Lady.

Airbnbs are not hotels or airlines. Most are run by average people running it as a small business, they aren't mega businesses. Every cancellation hurts.
Hotels have 24 hr. reception. If a booking gets cancelled, chances are someone else walks in the door and takes the room. Chances are an airline will fill the seat that got cancelled.

It has nothing to do with being "nice". When you book an Airbnb, you are agreeing to the cancellation policy for that listing. It's a contract. There are Airbnb's with flexible cancellation policies, meaning you can cancel up to 24 hrs before check-in and get a full refund. If a guest doesn't want to be held to a stronger cancellation policy, they shouldn't book listings that have them.

And Airbnb itself, does not refund their service fee on any cancellation policies after the first 48 hrs. Which has nothing to do with hosts.

[Edited on 1-26-2022 by surabi]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
My AirBnB host has been very gracious, even setting aside the property for five additional days should I test positive for Covid before my scheduled departure.

That is very nice of your host. But cancelling for a full refund if you test positive wouldn't be a very nice thing to do to the host. Airbnb has been doing this, so of course guests use it, but I can tell you that hosts are really upset about it. People's reservations blocking their calendars to other bookings, only to have the guests cancel last minute, with no time to get the dates rebooked. It is really harming hosts' livelihoods who depend on their rental income. Airbnb is treating hosts like de facto travel insurers.

We're testing ourselves before our trip not as a pretext to cancel our AirBnB reservations, but rather as a courtesy to our fellow travelers. It's my opinion anyone flying should be either vaccinated or present a negative test result, and we're practicing what we preach. A positive test is extremely doubtful because we both work from home and limit our public activities.

At this point, we're committed to be in Todos Santos next Thursday.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 08:45 AM

I can't imagine why we'd want to leave...

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 12:54 PM

For short term stays, or stays that are likely to change due to unforeseen issues that arise, like flight cancellations, we always book a hotel room, and leave the more costly airbnb stays for longer term visits. Hotels can accommodate sudden changes far easier and generally we have found them very willing to alter bookings. If someone (at present about 30% likely) tests positive for Omicron they have already contaminated the space and extending a booking for that room is not too disruptive for a hotel, but is for someone who was counting on continuous bookings for Airbnb. Another reason to avoid Airbnb altogether during this upset.
I especially would NOT want to stay at an Airbnb that booked a contaminated room to me right after the previous occupants tested positive and they were informed of the positive tests. If they cancelled my booking for that reason I would be very grateful.

[Edited on 1-26-2022 by JDCanuck]

Pages:  1  ..  9    11  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.