Pages:  1  ..  10    12
Author: Subject: Los Cabos Visitors to be Tested for COVID
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
The todos santos/pescadero area is rife with covid

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

At this point, we're committed to be in Todos Santos next Thursday.

Have you communicated with Bob, Paul?

Maybe Bob will elaborate on his comments. Bob?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

I especially would NOT want to stay at an Airbnb that booked a contaminated room to me right after the previous occupants tested positive and they were informed of the positive tests. If they cancelled my booking for that reason I would be very grateful.

[Edited on 1-26-2022 by JDCanuck]

At this point in time, if a guest or host reports a positive Covid test or infection while the guest is in residence, Airbnb actually is suspending the listing for a week and cancelling and refunding any guests booked in for that week.

Airbnb hosts had to agree to follow the Airbnb Covid cleaning protocol way back in March of 2020 or get their listings suspended. That protocol contained some ridiculous things that have since been eliminated, like washing the ceiling, but all the sterlization requirements remain.

Of course, Airbnb is just an online booking platform, they don't have field agents who go around checking on cleaning standards, it relies on guest reports to know if places are unacceptable. Obviously if a guest arrives to find the place isn't at all clean, it's a good bet the host or their cleaner isn't cleaning to Covid standards.

Many hosts have been leaving a day or two between bookings since Covid to air the place out and do a thorough cleaning and sterlization. If an Airbnb had great reviews and 5* cleanliness ratings, I'd actually trust staying there over a hotel. Because good reviews are so crucial to small-time Airbnb hosts, they are often way cleaner than hotel rooms. The Airbnbs I wouldn't trust are those run by big property management companies, with scores or hundreds of listings, as they often tend to cut corners and get so many hundreds of reviews that they don't stress out over some bad ones.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 04:01 PM

Sterilization of rooms is over blown. That's not the way you catch Covid.

Probably spent 50 nights in hotels in 2020. They never closed in the US. Even at the beginning.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2022 at 07:30 PM

The primary issue is that the jab is untested on animals or double blind studies, unapproved and experimental synthetic gene modification, demonstrated over time to not protect from any infection or transmission of anything related to covid, absolutely causes adverse affects such as clotting, heart inflammation, seizures, paralysis, injury and death.

Why would someone submit to permanent gene modification that causes permanent immune system harm and does not provide reduced infection nor transmission of covid?
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 1-27-2022 at 10:00 PM

I’m not sure where PB got the information that Todos Santos is “rife with COVID”! We just returned from 2 weeks there working on our house. The place was packed (Todos Santos), the bars were open and there was no line in front of St Jude’s and very few decomposing bodies in the streets! (That may be due to the fact that the dead cart goes through town twice a day with the driver crying bring out your dead!)

Some Baja Sur cities have banned alcohol sales but not Todos Santos and Cerritos!
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2022 at 07:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
I’m not sure where PB got the information that Todos Santos is “rife with COVID”! We just returned from 2 weeks there working on our house. The place was packed (Todos Santos), the bars were open and there was no line in front of St Jude’s and very few decomposing bodies in the streets! (That may be due to the fact that the dead cart goes through town twice a day with the driver crying bring out your dead!)

Some Baja Sur cities have banned alcohol sales but not Todos Santos and Cerritos!

Good to know about alcohol sales given that we are 28 days into Sober January. My sense was that Todos Santos has cancelled some events (e.g. the Open Studios Art Tour) but that restaurants and shops remained open, music was still being booked, etc. The red carpet remains rolled out for day trippers, and I plan to steer away from those crowds.

The positive infection rate in BCS is the highest in Mexico, but it is comparable to Massachusetts, where I'll be flying from. Apart from travel time, which we'll do with N95 masks, I'm thinking we'll be okay if we don't throw caution to the wind. We'll be doing basically the same things we've been doing for the past 2 years here on Cape Cod - minus the wind and snow.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2022 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

RF, I have doubts that your 2 weeks in the area has provided you with an accurate idea of what's up.
Yes, there are lots of tourists, restaurants are open. People are out and about doing stuff.
How much time have you spent with local Mexican families, in their home and neighborhoods?
I'm going to guess very little. We have been bringing cooking food the the homes of families we know where the entire household is sick. The gringo dollar is sufficiently critical that they can't afford to not be open for business. The good news, most I know who have been sick are recovering in a few weeks.
It never fails to amaze me how gringos can be here and live in a bubble of other gringos and a handful of English speaking locals who provide them with services.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2022 at 09:46 AM

PB,

We have spend 2 or more weeks in the area each month for months. We actually work with the Mexican tradespeople not hang out in a “Gringo Bubble”! I’ve worked in Mexico off and on for almost 40 years so I actually speak to tradespeople myself! It saves time and money! “Rife” seems perhaps a little excessive!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2022 at 07:17 PM

I’m in the Entertainment Industry on the production side. My work in Mexico was on Features and TV projects.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-29-2022 at 11:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Sterilization of rooms is over blown. That's not the way you catch Covid.

It was a big concern near the beginning of the pandemic, but as they found out more about transmission, it has become much less so. You would need a very specific set of circumstances to contract Covid from surfaces - you'd have to touch a surface that had active virus on it, then put that hand up to your nose or mouth and therefore breathe it in. And it would have to be enough of a viral load to actually infect you.

It helps to know which surfaces the virus remains active on longest. Very short time on porous surfaces like cloth, wood, paper and cardboard, can't survive at all on copper, can last awhile on other metals and plastic is the worst. They just found in one study that the Omicron variant remained active on plastic 10 times longer than other variants did. 196 hrs. But that was under laboratory conditions, and that study hasn't been peer reviewed yet.

UV light deactivates the virus, too, so anything sitting out in the sun for awhile isn't going to be a concern.

I am not doing Airbnb hosting right now, but when I did, and long before Covid, I always wiped down all high touch surfaces in the guest room/bathroom with bleach or sterilizing wipes. Doorknobs, light switches, faucet handles. No telling what anyone might be harboring, from Covid to influenza, Norovirus, etc. While Covid has to be breathed in to infect you, plenty of other nasty stuff doesn't.

I once read that gas pump handles were found to have more bacteria than public toilet seats. And public doorknobs are really bad. I had a friend who traveled in India in her younger days and said she was the only traveler she met there who never got sick. She carried a spray bottle of Dettol in her purse and sprayed every doorknob, bus railing, faucet handle, etc, before she touched it.

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 12:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

It was a big concern near the beginning of the pandemic, but as they found out more about transmission, it has become much less so. You would need a very specific set of circumstances to contract Covid from surfaces - you'd have to touch a surface that had active virus on it, then put that hand up to your nose or mouth and therefore breathe it in. And it would have to be enough of a viral load to actually infect you.

I had a friend who traveled in India in her younger days and said she was the only traveler she met there who never got sick. She carried a spray bottle of Dettol in her purse and sprayed every doorknob, bus railing, faucet handle, etc, before she touched it.

I read a lot about it at the very beginning of the pandemic. In April of 2020. Most experts right away said you were very, very unlikely to get it from touching a surface (for the exact reasons you state). That's why I knew immediately that you could travel as long as you avoided close contact with ppl.

Been to India 4 times and never got sick from it. Never used sanitizer. Just made sure to drink bottled water.

The biggest really bad thing the govt. did in California was to shut down all the hiking trails, beaches, etc. Anyone with any functioning brain matter at all knew being outside and exercising was a very safe and healthy activity. Give dip sh@t politicians an inch and they will take 5 miles.

[Edited on 1-30-2022 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1  ..  10    12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.