BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: SammyHagar discovered LosCabos?
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 09:26 AM
SammyHagar discovered LosCabos?

Just a sleepy fishing village with one hotel and nothing but dirt roads when he came across it.

Look at it now.

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 09:48 AM

Back in the late 80's, early 90's, when I was flying back and forth to Cabo every couple of months on Alaska Airlines, one of the flights south had Sammy and his crew and several very hot ladies occupying the front section that was curtained off most of the time.

They were partying down and those curtains did not mitigate the noise coming from the 1st class seating.

The entertainment value was a hoot for that relatively short flight, and all the shorter because of Sammy and his friends.

Cabo Wabo had been opened at the point and was well known. They sure had fun for those two hours. I couldn't even pick up my book for all the entertainment us passengers had. The tunes were flowing the whole time.

I mostly stayed out on the East Cape and rarely went to Cabo and never went to Cabo Wabo. Just not my cup tea to go bar hopping when the surf was calling as it always was when I was a younger man.

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 10:31 AM

I really do envy all of you nomads who knew these areas (not just Los Cabos) before they were ‘discovered’. You guys really were the pioneers, paving the way.

All of my time in Baja is relatively recent. That being said, my perception is that there has been a change since my 1st time. Covid, economy, leadership, crime, politics? I don’t know. Sure pleased that I took my big road trip when I did. I learned so much here and benefited from the shared knowledge.

Gracias!

[Edited on 1-7-2022 by ReTire]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 10:56 AM

First time at the Cape, '83 ish, talked to a guy skippering
a sportfishing yacht for a US Co. Said he took Keith
Richards out fishing. Dirt streets, one breakfast spot,
stayed at the Mar de Cortez motel downtown. Those were
the days. Nothing much between the Cape and SJDC, a
large Hotel Twin Dolphins was on that strip. 4 yrs. later,
took the then, Cabo/Vallarta ferry, truck with slide in
camper, private room, $11 dlls. to Vallarta. $3 case beer

[Edited on 1-7-2022 by sancho]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 11:03 AM

The paved road arrived at Cabo San Lucas in 1970. Nothing has been the same since!

1970 birds-eye-view map of Cabo San Lucas from Cliff Cross:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 12:00 PM

70s and early 80s I thought it was heaven on earth. The fishing was insane,good surf and you could camp on any beaches from Cabo to San Jose. There was only 2 or 3 hotels on that corridor. I stopped going after Sammy discovered it. It went to sh!t rapidly after that.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 12:44 PM

well wait a minute the Red Rocker built Cabo Wabo in 1990, CSL was far from a sleepy village! and "Van Hagar" just wasn't the same.:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  
SammyHagar discovered LosCabos?

He did not discover. He is just one of the many developers that flocked to cabo and made it into the awful place it is today.

Let’s hope he and rest of the yucky cabo crowd stay confined to cabo!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 05:04 PM

They put Cabo at the TIP of Baja, so that we can see all of classical Baja without going there!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
70s and early 80s I thought it was heaven on earth. The fishing was insane,good surf and you could camp on any beaches from Cabo to San Jose. There was only 2 or 3 hotels on that corridor. I stopped going after Sammy discovered it. It went to sh!t rapidly after that.

Word. In the 70s we camped, surfed, fished and dove the east cape many summers and it wasn't until years later I learned the names of those places.

Sometimes for a quick week or so we would fly Aero Mex into La Paz and rent a car and drive south from there. There was no Los Cabos airport, no direct flight to Cabo.

In 1980 we were in Cabo on a short trip and wanted to see Super Bowl 14, Rams vs Steelers. There was not a single place in Cabo we could watch the game.

We heard of a place in la Paz that was going to show it and we took a taxi to La Paz to watch the game. That place, of course, was a bar near Rancho Grande, another memory indeed. By the mid 1980s the writing was on the wall and that was that.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 05:11 PM

Well, if you are one of the fortunate ‘seasoned’ Baja explorers, count your blessings to have been able to see and explore it before it was discovered.

Chippy,DavidK et al; I can only imagine what that was like before all the resorts, golf courses, Uber, International airport, etc…..

Hell, me?….I’m just glad I got to meet Coco at his corner before that becomes a memory from the past!
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 05:15 PM

Oh and BTW, how the heck does a guy land a gig where he gets to fly back and forth to Cabo every couple of months SURFHAT?
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 05:47 PM

1973: “Bad Motor Scooter.”

Down hill ever since. One notable exception: Cabo Wabo tequila (1996).

Cantina (1990) not much different from other Cabo options, maybe less popular.

Did not discover Cabo (and Cabo not all dirt roads in 1990).

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2022 at 06:12 PM

There is a Cabo San Lucas in 1970 Facebook group page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/632496947131623

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-8-2022 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

That is one, amazing walk through time.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2022 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

That is one, amazing walk through time.

Right?
I like the 1970s vs today photo shots!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2022 at 09:47 AM

We rolled into Cabo after exploring for a few weeks. Got a room at the Mar de Cortez. Warm pool and hot showers were wonderful after camping for so long. Even better, Sammy was in town for his birthday bash. We walked down the street and got in line. Tickets were free then. What an awesome night at Cabo Wabo! Every place has its merits and detractions. It's all about perspective.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2022 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Word. In the 70s we camped, surfed, fished and dove the east cape many summers and it wasn't until years later I learned the names of those places.

Sometimes for a quick week or so we would fly Aero Mex into La Paz and rent a car and drive south from there. There was no Los Cabos airport, no direct flight to Cabo.

In 1980 we were in Cabo on a short trip and wanted to see Super Bowl 14, Rams vs Steelers. There was not a single place in Cabo we could watch the game.

We heard of a place in la Paz that was going to show it and we took a taxi to La Paz to watch the game. That place, of course, was a bar near Rancho Grande, another memory indeed. By the mid 1980s the writing was on the wall and that was that.

Rancho Grande, had some grand times there;):cool:
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2022 at 12:00 PM

I would rather take a beating than spend 10 minutes in a san lucas club.
volcano3
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2022 at 08:40 AM

we camped on a vacant beach west of La Palmilla in the late 70's

and Cabo Pulmo, where I "settled" near, had one family that would sell you a beer and go find a fish to cook for you
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.