BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: SammyHagar discovered LosCabos?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-11-2022 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I would rather take a beating than spend 10 minutes in a san lucas club.

Many years ago (1990s) I did a surfing road trip with a buddy, we ended up camping on east cape, and my buddy insisted on going to a certain strip bar most nights (in cabo, I think, though could have been San Jose)… don’t remember name of it, it was on second floor of a 2-story building.
I flew home, and my buddy lingered in cabo and east cape for a month or 2 dating a gringa stripper.

Anywho, strip bars were never really my thing, but I will say this one was pretty good place if you were into that sort of thing. It was much more pleasant, better ambiance than the strip bars I was familiar with in USA.

[Edited on 1-11-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2022 at 09:15 AM

When I see the year 1990 or so mentioned, I always feel that it wasn’t that long ago until I do some math!
100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 1-11-2022 at 10:00 AM

Volcano3:
"and Cabo Pulmo, where I "settled" near, had one family that would sell you a beer and go find a fish to cook for you"

Tito's family, by chance?

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2022 at 11:53 AM

I first drove to Cabo in the 70s -- what a great place it used to be. Other than some population at the estero in San Jose del Cabo, there were no hotels until you got to Cabo San Lucas. Between the towns, there was a two-lane road that wound along the coast. Of course, there was no marina (in the 80s, I took the ferry with my truck from Cabo to Puerto Vallarta). The first couple of times there, we camped on the beach below the cemetery just east of town; down the hill from today's Costco. Like all small Baja towns, we'd buy fish tacos, sitting on the street on a metal Tecate table/chairs, only a block or two from the beach. Cabo used to be a super cool town.

Somewhere, I have a night-time time-lapse photo of Cabo under the light of a full moon taken circa 1980. Will share if I locate.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-11-2022 at 12:52 PM

my girlfriend took me on vacation to CSL in 1980, on that trip I bought a time share that ended up being the best investment I've ever made. since that trip I've spent every thanksgiving dining with Mike from Latitude 22 (RIP Mike), I've seen some changes over the years my last and probably my last trip was right before covid. I love what that town has grown into.....different strokes!:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
volcano3
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2022 at 08:16 AM
titos

Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
Volcano3:
"and Cabo Pulmo, where I "settled" near, had one family that would sell you a beer and go find a fish to cook for you"

Tito's family, by chance?

yes,,,,titos......one card table out back, 4 plastic chairs...... 3 hours while they found someone with a fish to cook and fry up some potatoes with it.
For some reason, the wild. blasting wind sold me on the area.
100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2022 at 08:50 AM

Used to spend a lot of time in Cabo Pulmo camping and fishing. Wish I was home and had access to some of those photos to post!

If you settled there, I am envious for sure.

Before we were married, some time around 1990, my wife and I were camped at Cabo Pulmo in November and a very late hurricane hit! It hit on a Sunday, and the Los Frailes fish camp--all 7 pangas--were washed to sea and lost! The arroyo at Los Frailes was a huge gaping hole and the roads both north and south were impassable for almost a week.

After the main hit on Sunday, we would hang out with Tito's son in a little palapa drinking rancho tequila from a small oak barrel. It had a concrete floor and I so clearly recall taking turns sweeping the incoming water out every so many minutes.

In the evening we would stumble to our F150 (with our tent, sleeping bags, etc. now piled up on the floor) and try to figure out how to sleep in its single cab! Somehow, my "girlfriend" usually ended up on the floor and me on the seat.

Of course when we got home I immediately asked her to marry me!!!

We have not been back in a long time. First it was kids and all the busy life stuff, but now I am a little hesitant to see it as I am sure it has changed quite a bit, and I still hold pretty tightly to all the great memories!

volcano3
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 08:44 AM
cabo pulmo

Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
Used to spend a lot of time in Cabo Pulmo camping and fishing. Wish I was home and had access to some of those photos to post!

If you settled there, I am envious for sure.

Before we were married, some time around 1990, my wife and I were camped at Cabo Pulmo in November and a very late hurricane hit! It hit on a Sunday, and the Los Frailes fish camp--all 7 pangas--were washed to sea and lost! The arroyo at Los Frailes was a huge gaping hole and the roads both north and south were impassable for almost a week.

After the main hit on Sunday, we would hang out with Tito's son in a little palapa drinking rancho tequila from a small oak barrel. It had a concrete floor and I so clearly recall taking turns sweeping the incoming water out every so many minutes.

In the evening we would stumble to our F150 (with our tent, sleeping bags, etc. now piled up on the floor) and try to figure out how to sleep in its single cab! Somehow, my "girlfriend" usually ended up on the floor and me on the seat.

Of course when we got home I immediately asked her to marry me!!!

We have not been back in a long time. First it was kids and all the busy life stuff, but now I am a little hesitant to see it as I am sure it has changed quite a bit, and I still hold pretty tightly to all the great memories!

still dirt, and everything still washes out in big water events......my place is in between rivers, so best to have a couple of weeks food and drinking water if there during monsoon season
100X
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2022 at 12:02 PM

On 1/5/22 Sammy Hagar named first Los Cabos Ambassador of Tourism:

https://youtu.be/03hZmry6YeM

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2022 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
We rolled into Cabo after exploring for a few weeks. Got a room at the Mar de Cortez. Warm pool and hot showers were wonderful after camping for so long. Even better, Sammy was in town for his birthday bash. We walked down the street and got in line. Tickets were free then. What an awesome night at Cabo Wabo! Every place has its merits and detractions. It's all about perspective.

Sammy loves Los Cabos and I love Sammy and Los Cabos. Partied at The Cantina in the 90s, still drink Wabo Plata. Don't party much anymore, in bed early, up early. Love San Jose, too. Love MX and Mexicans. Always will.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2022 at 07:43 PM

I’ve enjoyed reading about all of you guys and your fun/adventure back when Los Cabos wasnt so well known and developed.
Hope there is a lot more to come!
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 04:17 PM

I too went to Cabo for the first time in 1990. I'm a Sammy fan, partied at the Wabo several times. I've gone to one of his birthday bashes, lots of fun. The days before the marina was built, it was a fun town for sure. Once it got commercialized i was done. Found the East Cape and never looked back. But yes, Sammy Hager has played a major part in the popularity of Cabo.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.