Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Looking for a ride...San Borja to Santa Gretrudis
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2022 at 07:43 PM
Looking for a ride...San Borja to Santa Gretrudis

Hi everyone looking for a ride between Mission San Borja and Mission Santa Gretrudis around 1-30-2022.

Prefer from San Borja to Santa Gretrudis but am willing to flip if needed.

Also, could it around 2-6-2022, but prefer a ride at the start of my trip and not the end.

Dates can be moved 1 day either way if needed.

TMW offered a possible ride around the 1rst of the year before my plans were canceled... if you could do anything that would be awesome.

I will most certainly pay for fuel.

My plans, subject to change, is leave Sacramento on 1-28-22 and arrive in the area on 29th.

Then, ideally, leave my car at San Borja and catch a ride past El Arco a few miles to stash water, return to El Arco and on to Santa Gretrudis to be dropped off and walk back to my car.

That is what I would prefer, but can mix it up.

Thanks, John

If anyone can do anything let me know.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-13-2022 at 08:37 PM

I may be able to help. I had planned on doing another drive-about sometime in the new year, but that time frame will depend a lot on how I am able to manage some family issues in the next week and a half.

I was at San Borja the first week of December, but I am unfamiliar with Santa Gretrudis is.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2022 at 10:46 PM

That would be amazing! I to have been to San Borja several times but never to Santa Gretrudis.

To get there you drive south of Guerro Negro to the El Arco turn off and then once in El Arco you turn to the Mission.

I have been to El Arco a few times and I have seen a sign to Santa Gretrudis years ago.

Remember I may be spelling these place names incorrectly also...

You could always hike it with me but I do have some serious concerns about doing this hike - it it is not to be taken lightly! In other words IT MAY BE DANGEROUS.

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2022 at 10:49 PM

Even that post was dangerous - it was my 666th post.

I need to do another post now to get off that number!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2022 at 12:01 AM
Mission Santa Gertrudis

I found it on page 47 of my Benchmark Atlas. I actually wound up there a couple of days after I was at San Borja!

I did not recognize the name, because I got there by accident exploring dirt roads north of Vizcaino. I took a wrong turn somewhere near El Arco, and even though I realized after a while that I was off track, I followed it out to what was apparently the mission.

Even if I am able to work this trip into your schedule, I won't be hiking, but it sure makes me wish my 75-year-old hips were up to it!

[Edited on 1-14-2022 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2022 at 06:59 AM

Guys, guys... use my maps!

San Borja:

Santa Gertrudis:

Guerrero Negro to El Arco:

The El Camino Real Maps (1954-2018): https://vivabaja.com/hgreal/

The El Camino Real trails between Santa Gertrudis (bottom pin) and San Borja (top pin) on a similar terrain map:

[Edited on 1-14-2022 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2022 at 09:13 AM
Check your U2U

Fatboy, I sent you info that does not need to be posted here.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2022 at 02:35 PM
Bump

It's not looking good for me, check you U2U inbox again!

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2022 at 09:57 AM

Gotcha, Thanks!!

Anyone else out there???
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2022 at 12:38 PM

Hello John, well looks like no one has stepped up to ferry you from San Borga to Santa Getrudis. That is a lot of dirt roads. I was considering offering a ride from Parador Punta Prieta to Calmall-i if that would work. I have been looking for an excuse to go there and camp a couple days. From there its just a hop skip and jump over to ECR, though you would miss the first part from Santa Gertrudis.

I would think you could find a driver in Guerrero Negro to follow you up to San Borja then to Santa Gertrudis. Dunno if those roads can be driven in a passenger van.

[Edited on 1-22-2022 by bajaric]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2022 at 02:28 PM

I was looking forward to being part of the plan, and meeting another Nomad, but family matters will not allow me to meet that schedule.

I drove all of the roads mentioned here so far in December. There were a few spots just east of San Borja, and just north of Santa Gertrudis (headed to Piedra Blanca) that were slow going, but I never needed 4x4.

I was driving an old Isuzu Trooper, but I would feel good about taking a van or other light truck on any of the route.

I was a bit disappointed in the condition of the road between Piedra Blanca and Bahia de Los Angeles. Last year it was in the best condition I have ever seen, but the Baja 1k took a toll on a lot of corners and grades.

Hopefully road crews have been able to grade out some of the ruts by now. I am sure that it was race damage from spinning tires, because the usual washboard that forms between maintenance cycles was not there.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 11:27 AM

Got an email yesterday from Kevin of www.caminorealbaja.com

He was updating me on their latest expedition research (see the Nomad Historic Interests forum later today).

Regarding Fatboy's section of El Camino Real (quoted with permission):

We found out that there are now narcos in the canyon of El Paraiso south of San Borja and were until recently at the rancho of San Sebastian. I assume that many of the waterholes are now being used by narcos since covid has likely forced people into becoming small time growers to provide some income. I don’t know how dangerous the situation has become if at all. It does make approaching these places more concerning than in the past. Also, large numbers of cattle are dead and scattered about due to the long lasting drought in the area and possibly now having to compete with narcos for the scanty water supply.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2022 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Hello John, well looks like no one has stepped up to ferry you from San Borga to Santa Getrudis. That is a lot of dirt roads. I was considering offering a ride from Parador Punta Prieta to Calmall-i if that would work. I have been looking for an excuse to go there and camp a couple days. From there its just a hop skip and jump over to ECR, though you would miss the first part from Santa Gertrudis.

I would think you could find a driver in Guerrero Negro to follow you up to San Borja then to Santa Gertrudis. Dunno if those roads can be driven in a passenger van.

[Edited on 1-22-2022 by bajaric]

Not sure where Calmalli is... is that along the gulf coast?

If it is along the gulf coast it still leaves the two 'ends'. SAan Borja to pavement, about 20 miles and then The Santa Gertrudis end.

I might be able to use a ride from Pavement at the turn off to San Borja and as far down the coast as possible if you have room for a mini bike.

Also my plans are up in the air due to Kevin's email.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2022 at 05:29 PM

It is the old gold mine just north of Pozo Alemán and El Arco:

Not far from ECR:

1908 Postal route map shows it at the end of the line for mail delivery:

[Edited on 1-26-2022 by David K]

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2022 at 05:32 PM

Thanks David!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2022 at 06:13 PM

Where ECR meet and crosses the auto road north from Calmallí and Las Palomas:
28.2509, -113.4013
to
28.2555, -113.4342
to
28.3331, -113.5324 (ancient square corral)

Anyway, I am sure you researched the old trail!

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-26-2022 at 12:42 AM
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 08:15 AM

Hi John, got your PM. Unfortunately, something has come up and I have to cancel my trip to Calmalli.

For what it is worth, the outdoor "growing season" is spring to fall so should not be any "farming" activity now. That does not rule out other nefarious activities that do not depend on the solar cycle.

I think your idea to put a water cache at the point where the El Camino Real crosses the El Arco - Piedra Blanca road is a good one. That road gets enough traffic that you could probably hitch a ride back to Guerrero Negro from that point if for some reason you needed to.

Good luck!
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Hi John, got your PM. Unfortunately, something has come up and I have to cancel my trip to Calmalli.

For what it is worth, the outdoor "growing season" is spring to fall so should not be any "farming" activity now. That does not rule out other nefarious activities that do not depend on the solar cycle.

I think your idea to put a water cache at the point where the El Camino Real crosses the El Arco - Piedra Blanca road is a good one. That road gets enough traffic that you could probably hitch a ride back to Guerrero Negro from that point if for some reason you needed to.

Good luck!

Was wondering about the 'growing season'.... Thanks for that bit of info.... plans still up in the air.... heading down friday and will probably make the GO/NO GO decision at the trailhead....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 12:57 PM

I hope it works out for you...
Maybe, hike half of it out from San Borja OR out from Santa Gertrudis, then back to your car? Do the other half on another trip....

If you would like me to report your progress, be sure I am on your contacts, as before when hiking Salsipuedes.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2022 at 11:01 AM

Video at Paraiso Canyon from The Mission Walker: https://fb.watch/aOBLIvPmqq/

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.