BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Covid testing prior to returning to the U.S.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-14-2022 at 03:23 PM
Changing flights tip

If it is reasonably close, go directly to an airport where your departure, or return flight is (or was) scheduled to leave from.

Negotiating across the counter, face to face with a live person, I have been able to accomplish changes that would likely never happen over the phone or by exchanging messages online!

[Edited on 1-14-2022 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2022 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

We know a few people in Todos Santos / Pescadero, but haven't thought to presume ourselves upon them in an emergency situation. We may make some inquiries this weekend, hoping to secure the proverbial unused umbrella.

If I had room, and I don't, doubtful I'd welcome anyone testing positive.

Seriously, you NEED a backup plan (confirmed place to stay) should you test positive. Hotels are testing arrivals, aren't they?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

We know a few people in Todos Santos / Pescadero, but haven't thought to presume ourselves upon them in an emergency situation. We may make some inquiries this weekend, hoping to secure the proverbial unused umbrella.

If I had room, and I don't, doubtful I'd welcome anyone testing positive.

Seriously, you NEED a backup plan (confirmed place to stay) should you test positive. Hotels are testing arrivals, aren't they?

Hi Lee,

I should dial back my statement about making inquiries, as I would never expect friends or acquaintances to welcome us into their homes if either of us were to test positive. I was thinking more of a fantasy scenario where someone we knew had a property that was vacant (during peak season) and would let us stay for five days.

Apart from canceling our trip altogether, which remains a possibility, here is what I'm thinking:

1. Inquire of the property manager regarding an extended stay
  2. Purchase enough food for the additional five days
  3. If negative, leave the extra food with friends or the property manager

If we test positive, we would have to return to our rental casita to gather our belongings anyway, so unless he has a tenant immediately following our stay (a distinct possibility), I would think he'd be open to the additional income. If not, we'll have the unenviable task of trying to find a hotel (Casa Tota, perhaps?) that 1) has vacancies, and 2) will let us stay there.

I'm hopeful that we continue to defy the odds and that all of this contingency planning is just an exercise in needless worry.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 12:49 PM

Back in December the CDC issued the requirement of a negative rapid test within a day of returning to the U.S. from an international location - including Mexico, of course. This presents travelers with an interesting dilemma: in the remote chance that one tests positive for Covid, what does one do?

I understand this is for air arrivals only.
Didn't fly internationally since Covid - chose to drive, but I would "think" the airline will deny the boarding. You'll be allowed again in 14 days or with a negative test, whichever comes earlier. Need a backup plan - hardly a problem for somebody retired who owns/leases a place in Baja. More hassle if you work. At least, this is a cheap and widely available test that can be ready in a couple of hours, not a PCR/NAAT test that may cost $200-250 in Baja and takes longer to process.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Back in December the CDC issued the requirement of a negative rapid test within a day of returning to the U.S. from an international location - including Mexico, of course. This presents travelers with an interesting dilemma: in the remote chance that one tests positive for Covid, what does one do?

I understand this is for air arrivals only.
Didn't fly internationally since Covid - chose to drive, but I would "think" the airline will deny the boarding. You'll be allowed again in 14 days or with a negative test, whichever comes earlier. Need a backup plan - hardly a problem for somebody retired who owns/leases a place in Baja. More hassle if you work. At least, this is a cheap and widely available test that can be ready in a couple of hours, not a PCR/NAAT test that may cost $200-250 in Baja and takes longer to process.

Yes - this is for air arrivals only, as far as I know. Theoretically the quarantine time is 5 days or a negative test. I'll be flying into Cabo on Feb 3 and leaving on Feb 11. Unfortunately I don't have a place in Baja and will only be renting a casita via AirBnB. We do have appointments to take the tests in Todos Santos within 24 hours of the flight, and have a Plan B in the event of a positive test, but there will still be quite a bit of scrambling involved beyond just having a place to quarantine.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 03:28 PM

We do have appointments to take the tests in Todos Santos within 24 hours of the flight, and have a Plan B in the event of a positive test, but there will still be quite a bit of scrambling involved beyond just having a place to quarantine.

Right. Backup plan is a place to stay in case of a positive reading. Turd in the punchbowl might be not getting into a hotel anywhere (Tota) if they are testing at arrival.

Worse case scenario is being sicker than mild symptoms -- and unable to fly for awhile -- 1-2-3 weeks or more.

Before I left last Spring, we had a German couple staying with us, they had a tricked out Sprinter type van. Last I heard they flew to DF, and Germany had closed their borders and the couple couldn't leave MX. Don't know what happened.

Just saying. You don't want to get sick down there. Esp. since you're flying.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 03:38 PM

I've traveled extensively during Covid.

Personally, with Omicron I wouldn't fly into Baja right now. Drive in, sure.

Hopefully by the end of Feb we'll be in a much better place.

[Edited on 1-18-2022 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 03:40 PM

Paul, I for one am very glad you decided to make the trip, and it sounds like you have taken every reasonable precaution and step you can.

I am sure you are vaccinated and plenty careful, and with Omicron the vast majority of current cases down here and no where near as dangerous as earlier variants, you should be fine.

We are only 100 miles or so away, and although leaving during your stay, believe we can find you a place to stay for 5 days in the unlikelihood a worst case emergency does arise.

I would even go so far to say that if such a situation arose there would be several Nomads that would help you find an appropriate solution.

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
Paul, I for one am very glad you decided to make the trip, and it sounds like you have taken every reasonable precaution and step you can.

I am sure you are vaccinated and plenty careful, and with Omicron the vast majority of current cases down here and no where near as dangerous as earlier variants, you should be fine.

We are only 100 miles or so away, and although leaving during your stay, believe we can find you a place to stay for 5 days in the unlikelihood a worst case emergency does arise.

I would even go so far to say that if such a situation arose there would be several Nomads that would help you find an appropriate solution.

That is super kind of you to offer.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2022 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by 100X  

That is super kind of you to offer.

For all of the rancor we see on BN (as well as the complaining about said rancor), there are some very decent, generous people on this board who instinctively help fellow Nomads, or in my case Nomads-in-training. I'm quite grateful.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2022 at 08:01 PM

Yes - this is for air arrivals only, as far as I know. Theoretically the quarantine time is 5 days or a negative test. I'll be flying into Cabo on Feb 3 and leaving on Feb 11. Unfortunately I don't have a place in Baja and will only be renting a casita via AirBnB. We do have appointments to take the tests in Todos Santos within 24 hours of the flight, and have a Plan B in the event of a positive test, but there will still be quite a bit of scrambling involved beyond just having a place to quarantine.

Does CDC say 5 days? It takes 5-7 days to develop symptoms, don't remember CDC guidelines for quarantine. Recovery - until you're well and don't shed the virus anymore - takes a bit longer than 5 days.

Omicron doesn't give much reason for complacency. It is less deadly than Alpha and Delta - 2 times less, 3 times? not clear yet - but it's also more contagious, the latter partly negates the former. And Delta is still there. Mortality is lagging by about one month behind the cases spikes. Besides, mortality isn't everything, we've been there before, long-term (read - permanent) complications upon recovery are common. I know people who developed lung problems after they've recovered and couldn't breathe normally in Colorado where they lived.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2022 at 11:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Does CDC say 5 days? It takes 5-7 days to develop symptoms, don't remember CDC guidelines for quarantine. Recovery - until you're well and don't shed the virus anymore - takes a bit longer than 5 days.

Google

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quaran...

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2022 at 06:26 AM

Five days was what St. Jude's hospital in Todos Santos - who will be conducting the test - told me was the required waiting period between the positive test and the recommended remediation:

Quote:

If you do come out positive either one of you or both, you would need to quarantine 5 days and then come in for an antibodies and a dr's note

I'm not 100% sure what is meant by "[an] antibodies", but I assume it means a retest. I have to wonder whether or not I could have a second test after 24 hours (instead of waiting 5 days) and - if it ends up being negative - I could use that test result to board a plane back to the U.S.?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.