Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Car license question
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 02:52 PM
Car license question

I have a 2004 Toyota bought in the U.S. that I've had at my home in Baja ever since it was new. It's licensed in Oregon and insured in the U.S. and Mexico. I am a permanent resident if that makes any difference. Should I be looking to change anything?

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 07:04 PM

You don’t need to insure it in the US unless your state requires it to be registered there. Some states allow out of country or in storage exemptions for insurance. I carry minimum liability in the US to keep my registration current and full coverage in MX.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 07:42 PM

As a permanent resident, you are not allowed to drive a foreign plated car in Mexico. It's illegal.

Maybe they turn a blind eye to that in Baja. I live on the mainland.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 05:21 AM

that's not true

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 06:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
As a permanent resident, you are not allowed to drive a foreign plated car in Mexico. It's illegal.

Maybe they turn a blind eye to that in Baja. I live on the mainland.

Correct. Mex citizens and RPs cannot drive vehicles with foreign registration. This law was created to avoid situation where people are importing foreign cars to Mexico but not registering said cars in Mexico.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
that's not true

Erudite response bob
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
that's not true

I suggest you inform yourself rather than ignorantly claim that something isn't true.

​"Permanent Resident visa holders may not have a foreign plated car in Mexico. The only exception is where no TIP is required. Otherwise, it is subject to confiscation and plus a large fine. If in an accident your insurance is null and void."

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html#:~:text=%E2%80%8BPerma...

I'm sure you can find the actual law in Spanish if you care to.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 11:15 AM

Well, it isnt true...If you bothered to read the original post you would see that he is in Baja....no tip is required...therefore it is not illegal!!

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 11:50 AM

Changing lightbulbs on Baja Nomads

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 12:24 PM

Glad we settled that one, as I was just about to drive my foreign plated car down and also planned on applying for permanent residency. Now here's an even tougher one: I have purchased a Mexican plated car which is registered in my Son-in-law's name. Can I drive it legally without a Mexican driver's license and only a Canadian license?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
Well, it isnt true...If you bothered to read the original post you would see that he is in Baja....no tip is required...therefore it is not illegal!!

I did bother to read the original post. He said his car is at his home in Baja. That doesn't necessarily mean he might not want to take it for a trip to the mainland, assuming he could, right?

Nor is there any assurance that Aduana couldn't change the laws at any time, starting to require TIPS for Baja or telling permanent residents they have to remove their foreign plated vehicles from the country, which is exactly what they did on the mainland several years ago.

[Edited on 1-16-2022 by surabi]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2022 at 10:39 AM

Regularización de autos chocolates será en La Paz; todo el trámite costaría 7,000 pesos: Finanzas

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/regularizacion-de-autos-chocolate...

Regularization of non-imported vehicles arrives in La Paz at a cost of $6-7000mn US$300-350

Es oficial: autos chocolates de BCS ya se pueden regularizar; publicaron decreto, vence en julio
https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/es-oficial-autos-chocolates-de-bc...

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-21-2022 at 07:47 PM

No worries for PRs driving US plated cars Baja zero problems.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.