Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Travel
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 06:43 PM
Baja Travel

As a long-time Baja traveler by land and sea, I'm currently a bit reluctant to drive into Baja from what I've seen and learned over the years. Please don't bash me as I've many solo driving, sailing, sea kayaking, and conservation ship travels along Baja since about 1998 or so to last fall. I'm not a newby. That said, I want to plan another driving trip to Baja with my dog, but am concerned about safety. So, I wanted to ask, have there been any verifiable negative changes to the safety of foreign travelers in Baja Mexico of the last few years? Or, is it the same as usual where it's just as dangerous as many places here in the U.S.?

Thanks!

Gringorio

baja.jpg - 286kB

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 07:04 PM

I feel safer walking the streets of Loreto than I do in most cities north of the border.

Sad but true.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 07:12 PM

There have been a few incidents in BCN the last year or so. Around Hwy 5.

BoLA seems less safe from years past.

Overall, if you avoid driving at night I personally wouldn't be worried. As always, use good judgment.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 07:22 PM

I believe your reluctance is well warranted, im a long time resident and crime is worse now against tourists and travelers then i've ever seen it...jmho

trust mexican news sources, not BN;)

[Edited on 1-16-2022 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 08:24 PM

I agree with Don Pisto. Baja is more dangerous than life in the US. Most 3rd world countries are actually. The locals are aware of it and will often caution you. Most of it is associated with drug traffickers. If you have a chance read 'The Mission Walker' about the fear of running into these people in the backcountry of BCN.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I feel safer walking the streets of Loreto than I do in most cities north of the border.

Loreto x 10, now camping alone on a deserted point I
may have more than slight reservations

Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 11:55 AM

Great question. As someone who’s felt a sense of relief when crossing into Baja in the past ,I’ve also wondered whether things have changed in the last couple of years. I’ve always felt comfortable parking on the side of the road to sleep or stopping to check on people parked on the side of the road . As is the nature of news ,it’s sometimes hard to find any follow information after the headlines. I love spending time in the vast areas of sparsely populated Baja and have never had anything but great interactions with the people I’ve come across.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 12:13 PM

As a 45 year plus Baja traveler, I have never felt personally targeted with the exception of decades ago at a checkpoint in Cabo that ended up with me being ripped off of a pair of binoculars by a Fed. punk who had a superiority complex. I reported him to La Paz to no avail.

The other time was last March of 2021 when a military road check north of GN when the guy searched everything completely, as is their right to do so.

My bags were thoroughly gone through, and I mean thoroughly. Since I happened to be by myself on this trip, they had free reign to do whatever they wanted.

I have always shown the respect these military checks deserve and always thanked them for keeping the roadways safe.

While I never carry anything that could interest them, ?, the intensive search I experienced was somewhat disturbing. If that is an over reaction I will take it, but after so many years of driving these roads, I felt I was targeted.

Opportunity is what it is. What say you other regular travelers?

100X
Nomad

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 12:22 PM

Maybe we are just getting older and now have too much social media available to us.

As noted previously, for me the most dangerous period was in the early 2000's, and it feels pretty safe now. Would still use caution in all situations, especially the further north one is, and at night.

It is interesting the number of comments that have to do with the Federales though...

A life of fears leads to a death bed of regrets.

Find someone who will take care of you, and take care of them.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 12:41 PM

That first federal contact experience was during the Just Say No times.

Could they, specifically Ron and Nancy, have supported a more simplistic view of a non solution?

I suppose the safety factor can be relative to ones own experience over many decades.

Currently I feel safer and am always appreciative of the military road checks. The caveat is when they choose to go a bit too far when I have never had anything to hide.

I do believe they know everything about my Baja travels before I ever get to the person asking me what I am doing and where I am going.

I am coming to the realization that if I travel alone these days, I am at their mercy, such as it is.

That I never carry anything that would interest them is somewhat comforting.

Still, I will closely observe any of their searching protocols in my defense, and never leave anything of value for some sticky fingers to grab.

I always show my appreciation to them for keeping the roadways as safe as possible. I know I am repetitive on this showing of appreciation for their service, but feel they are deserving of such respect that serves every Baja traveler.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2022 at 07:57 PM

I like that suggestion Surfhat. The more we thank them for doing their jobs and keeping us safe, the less likely they are to be overbearing. I believe ALL police everywhere deserve the same consideration. We seem to be losing that up here and the very best are leaving the service, leaving the very few bad ones behind.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2022 at 08:42 AM

I feel much safer here in BCS/Baja than most places north of the border. There is crime but it's mostly petty. Be nice, be aware, and follow your instincts. Oh and don't be a GOG...Grumpy Old Gringo!

[Edited on 1-19-2022 by Bajaboy]

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2022 at 09:04 AM

My take on the subject is Baja is marginally less safe than US travel.
Based on my experience for the last 18 years with over 100 crossings going both ways on both Mexicali and Tecate. We have never had any safety related issues. We have even done shopping in Mexicali without any issues. Shoppers are not after gringos. The main issue is finding a place to park. I avoid using the west Mexicali crossing because it involves traveling in the core city with heavy traffic. One missed turn resulting in departing from the main route and you find you are in a high risk area. The east crossing has a route that loops south around the core of the city. Still if unfamiliar it is still easy to make a wrong turn and get into a bad area.
Rural highways have risk, but of all the reports of holdups an hijacking have been local gangs that have targeted someone or a group of folks that have something they want. Over landers and folks pulling high dollar toys seem to be the most targeted. Night time when traffic is minimal is best for these bad guys so avoiding night travel is recommended.
When stopping for the night at a hotel make sure the parking area is safely secured with active monitoring. For beach camping in the boondocks be aware of the surroundings to see if you are vulnerable. Safety depends on being isolated from the highway and local population.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-17-2022 at 09:33 AM

Baja is safe, but with caveats. Dont drive at night. Be wary of crooked cops seeking bribes. Be wary of crooked gasoline stations. Be wary of crooked soldiers pilfering your things at inspection pounts.
Petty theft rampant. Car smash/grabs common, dont leave valuables in car.
Be careful in urban areas, lots of crime.
Be careful in rural areas, lots of crime.

Usa is overall safer. But baja is plenty safe if you follow advice to avoid crime…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 05:32 PM

Very timely conversation. I'm heading down and all my buddies are busy working. I have a handful of acquaintances and friends in La Paz that help maintain our boat for us. One is an electrician, another more mechanically minded along with a deckhand. Anyhow, since my buddies can't go, and I need to make a trip to empty out our bodega I invited one of the guys and am flying him to TJ where I will pick him up at the airport.
Personally, I wouldn't make the trip solo anymore. It nice to have someone along in the event of a breakdown, medical emergency and he speaks fluent Spanish and mine spanglish needs some help .
my two cents...
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-19-2022 at 09:32 AM

Surfhat, interesting you mentioned getting searched at the north of GN check point. In mid-May it took a little bit of time to get through that check point because they were searching the van of a couple of young surfers. They went through everything. But me, an older solo woman, they waived me right through as well as the couple of vehicles in front of me. Are you younger? That may be a criteria, IDK.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2022 at 09:50 AM

Baja Mama, younger than a few here, but older than most. I have earned my gray hair and wrinkles.

Opportunity is what is and just as varied at the road checks. Boredom has to be a factor with the job they have to do.

I try to show my appreciation for them keeping the roadway safe, make that safer, every time, for what it is worth, and sometimes it ain't worth jack, but my time in Baja is still worth it every time.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.