Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Muleges' local economy
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 11:51 AM
Muleges' local economy

I recently explored the retail and service markets in Mulege. I was very surprised and actually shocked that biz was not so great. I had a few limited conversations with a couple of business owners regarding the general local economy. I was curious as to the volume of biz now as opposed to biz 2 years ago. To me it looked like many folks in and about Mulege were shopping etc., but the store owners indicated that things weren't that much better than last year.:no:
On a comparitive note; in our neck'o' the woods we saw a huge decline in tourists post 9/11. The numbers of visitors increasing yearly and this year so far indicates more spending than the last few.
Since I visited Mulege on Semana Santa week I was wondering if, demographically speaking, the people in town that week represented a typical spring-break group. I was also amazed to see lots of empty tables at suppertime in many restaurants.
Is this a common occurence, or is the economy still flat in the area?:?:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I was also amazed to see lots of empty tables at suppertime in many restaurants.
Is this a common occurence, or is the economy still flat in the area?:?:

Suppertime is too late. By then the gringos are passed out "flat" on the floor.:biggrin:

I almost got suckered into buying DonnaMoes. I talked to the former owners one afternoon. They started at $10,000. An hour later they were dead drunk and the price had dropped to $1000. Not soon after they were passed out on the floor. Lucky me.:lol:

I was told that most of em were like that. What do you say, Bruce?

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 12:21 PM
yeah Bruce, whatta YOU say??

:spingrin:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 12:36 PM

Most of the restaurants in Mulege lack originality and quality control. due to this there products are of an inconsistent Quality. one day you can git a good meal and the next it is uneatable. so they lose a lot of there repeat biasness. as you well Know knowledge of safe handling and proper food preparation is of prime importance. one sick customer can rune your biasness for years. also for a restaurant to be successful it must have an executive chef that constantly strives to make better and more interesting dishes through lots of research and experimental work in the kitchen. here most are trying to figure out how to cut corners and make things as cheep as possible. I used to work for weeks to perfect a recipe and then have the kitchen help prepare it for 2 weeks more before I put it on the menu.

as for the other stores in town they are suffering from a lack of support. more and more you see the foreign residents here rolling in with trucks and trailers full of things from costco or home club and that really hearts the local economy.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 12:39 PM
The Almeja or Padron (Patron)

has been consistently good for many years! Great view as well.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Most of the restaurants in Mulege lack originality and quality control. due to this there products are of an inconsistent Quality. one day you can git a good meal and the next it is uneatable.

I agree all the ambiance in the world can't make up for same old same old especially when the same old doesn't taste like the same old same old. Comprendo?

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 01:02 PM

Yes I do agree . but don't take me wrong all of the restaurant owners in Mulege are my Friends and they are doing what thay think is right and I eat in every one of them. most are my customers also and very fine people. But it is hard if not imposable to git people to change how they have been doing things for years. probably the best thing is when a new restaurant opens such as the Pelican reef and fills with people right away every one wonders why no one is going to there restaurant. but an other unfortunate thong is you will never see a Mexican restaurant owner going to an other restaurant in the aria it just isn't done , some kind of local custom I guess. so they really cant compare there products and service. a good restaurant owner must spend a lot of time in others to git Ideas and keep up with the times . so now you all Know why I am so fat.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 01:52 PM
to be honest Bruce......

we are always trying to find the right restaurant to suit our fancy. But unlike you, we feel we spend quite enough time in a restaurant. The biggest problem is the same as it is there. I call it a restaurant rut. It seems to be the way most often then not, what spells doom. The food is always the primary reason to go out in the first place. (that is of course, if you are just pretending to dine when your real mission is wine).
The rut happens when the food emulates or otherwise serves the same basic menu and prep style as most the others. Problem is; these people gotta realize a couple things. First, you must have a hook, capital H. It could be anything but you have to get them and keep them. Next, you should know who/what your market niche is. If you say everyone, good luck. Peoples preferences and desires are very diverse.Higher prices culls the herd immediately. Also variety.Location is not really an issue if the food is good enough unless walkbys are your target market. Only one out of ten new start-up restaurants makes it through the first three years. Most owner blame the staff for their own demise.
:smug:My assessment of Mulege is pretty much the same as it is here in Oregon. BIG RUTS! It is possible to find a descent meal but would you keep going back for THAT menu item. Most folks don't because the meal did not imprint deeply enough. The meal lost in your "i've tried that" memory. You must be able to strike the tastebud and have the flavor(s) recorded. Taste and smell are senses that are stored and remembered your whole life. If your meal was boring, you will remember it. It is easy to recall a dining experience based on taste and smell. Unless you have had too many Pacificos and your senses are drunk too.

Quote:

"a good restaurant owner must spend a lot of time in others to git Ideas and keep up with the times"

I think thats the wrong approach.......personally speaking from experience, I don't think imitation or copying is the highest form of flattery. Maybe that is why all the crappy restaurant are near each other. Never thought of that.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 04:49 PM

no Sharksbaja what I meant is more to learn what not to do rather what to do . I am very critical when I dine out It drives my family crazy . I pick out every fault in service and food prep and presentation. and analyze it and See if I cant come up with a better way.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 05:41 PM
typical for a restaurant owner

;D;);D;);D;);D;);D;);D;):yes:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 06:49 AM

I hate televisions in a restaurant. here in Mexico allot of restaurants have them and they always have the novellas blearing. they are more for the employs than the customers.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 07:13 AM

Bruce. There is a restaurant (second story) in Mulege on the street that goes back to highway 1. just up from the laundry on the corner. Is it still operating? What is name. How's the reputation these days??? Until gas prices went up couple years ago, we used to drive to Mulege for the day, to eat at a couple restaurants, and do some "tourist" stuff. Don't drive as much as used to. Also a couple years ago, there was a pretty decent restaurant just south of town on the west side. Round if I remember it right? Good food??????
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 07:23 AM
Phil...

That's Francisco's 'Equipales' restaurant...means 'leather chairs'. Yes, he's still open. Okay seafood, (I used to really like the lobster there) so-so ribs. Ambiance is good with a nice breeze at night through the open windows. A good place to to and talk with friendly service. Average food.

South of town the round cafe would be Saul's 'La Palapa'. He learned his presentation well and the plate looks nice. Food is good. Popular spot and handy for travelers. Saul also operates downtown El Candil. Same good food.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 08:12 AM

yes it is the Equipales' and they are still open and it is OK but they have cut back quite a bit on there service and food quality in the past few years. while the prise keeps going up. this is the case with most of the restaurants here . none of them are gouging the public as there cost have risen considerably. one problem they have here is Mulege has become a retirement community for a lot of people that are on limited incomes and they cant or wont pay the price of a quality restaurant meal here. the cost of food items here in Mulege can run as much as double that in La Paz.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 08:30 AM

Love the camar?n de ajo at El Candil - will have that every single time we visit Mulege - along with a large margarita ofcourse! :)

We have enjoyed the food at La Palapa also - great place - bring your own bottle of wine if ya want.

Thursday nights at Jungle Jim's for there fantastic Chile Rellenos - outstanding!

Getting hungry now! Bye
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 10:51 AM
My Mulege cafe lineup....

Note---Saturday night at the Serinadad Pig Roast used to be 'thee' place to go. The roast pig was secondary...everyone for miles around, locals, foreign residents, pilots, and tourists alike would congregate here for drinks, dancing, and gossip-catch-up for the last week. It was 'The Event'. Nobody went just for the food...it was purely social. List this as 'Back in the Good Ol' Days'

My Present Mulege cafe weekly favorites:

Sunday: Chinese food at Eduardo's across from downtown Pemex. Good selections..and take home boxes, of course.

Monday: ? what say you?..put choices here.

Tuesday: ?what say you?..put choices here.

Wednesday: Eduardo's again..this time for Bar-b-Q Ribs.

Thursday: Jungle Jim's for chile rellenos. Good bar, but bring your own wine. Has new fireproof roof...ask why.

Friday: ?what say you?..put choices here.

Saturday: morning - Carnitas at Ramon's small cafe (sadly, Ramon has passed on, but son, Antonio, and his friend, Lorena carry on the tradition). Order some ranchero soup, too. Ribs are great take-homes, but not before my order!!

Most of these cafes have 'reasonably' good food..but the main course is the social activity that presents itself. Really, really good food you get at home! Thanks to that great chef, _____________his/her name here.....your spouse!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 09:41 PM

Soooo?. For the last four years of living down here 24/7/12 at Posada Beach, we have dined at Ray?s Restaurant at La Playa Santispac on a monthly basis. OK?he does close for a month in the summer. I believe you cannot get a better restaurant at any price as long as you dine AFTER sunset when the flys go away, during fly season anyway. Ray has a simple menu of usually about 5 things?mostly seafood but always a rib or steak thing too. Frequently he has a saut?ed calamari con ajo that is to just die for. This dish is my benchmark dish that I use to judge all restaurants?.hands down Ray?s. Ambiance is a shell floor/palma place but very clean and gussied-up. Just one time was the shrimp over-cooked?.the usual sin of the Mexican restaurants everywhere. Dinners are between $900- 1,300 and always comes with a huge salad and chips. Killer margaritas. Maybe a bit pricy for some but see 4 yourself?.a great value I think because the consistency of the varied dinners always seems to be there.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 11:43 PM
a good run down

on places, thanks, Pompano. It is a shame popular places like The Serinadad lost out to the economy and 9/11 and other factors. I am wondering if the availability of certain foods hampers the chef in Mulege.
You are correct.. meals prepared at home can far out weigh anything. Especially when it comes to nutritional value. I was wondering how many restaurants in Baja serve honest to goodness refried beans? Do they use canned frijoles? Ick if they do!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 01:06 AM

I guess it really boils down to the fact that you can only do so much with rice, beans, tortilla's, and deep fried meats...it's what the cook does with the rest of his menu that tends to attract us...

The Melanesia at Saul's 'La Palapa' up on the highway has left us asking for more...

Eduardo's Sunday comida chena food fest provides you with lot's to stuff the take-home 'clams' and let you feed from them for a couple more days!

Ah, yes, another couple of votes for Jungle Jim's chile rellenos on Thursdays...truly yummy, and you won't leave hungry...The Tuesday Gringo Taco's aren't half bad once in a while, too.

I'm in a 'Pompano' rut here, but yes, the Saturday Carnitas at the former Ramon's is another Mulege delight not to be missed...or stop by anytime and enjoy the tacos carne asada, or their battered tacos cameron...suc-u-lant!

Of course the great 1/2 pound burgers at Val's Pelican on the plaza are another fun treat - many variations to choose from - for a back-home burger 'fix'...smuggle in your own Pacifico's - apparently the Tecate Mafia has strong-armed their way in there!

We used to try and get over to Ray's on Santispac from time to time...but I'm afraid they tossed us a couple of way-past prime saut?ed calamari con ajo's last year that were indeed 'almost to DIE for'...don't know why we didn't toss em' out to the buzzards instead of trying to suffer through them...I guess the pre-dinner drinks had gotten to us...we politely made our thoughts known to Ray, but didn't much of a sympathetic response, so we just won't spend any more of our $'s over there...food service can be a rough business, the people pleasing business...and if ya' ain't happy you just go somewhere else...sorry Ray.

The food down, Mulege way is great, but always is made better with friends - old and new as you get to interact with those around you in these small, friendly, unpretentious, places - have to again agree with Pompano - the people make the experience all the better!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2005 at 01:59 AM
homemade chow

Well thanx for the info Mexray I have tried a few mentioned but have a ways to go still. Maybe when I throw a special bash in Mulege I'll invite the local and not so local Nomads to some of my tinkerings with seafood. I am always looking for new local ingredients for those Mulege meals. Where in Mulege is there a regular supplier of fresh seafood daily. Eh? I always pay more than I should be from the wandering pescadorios

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.