Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jigsaw Puzzles in Baja
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 02:07 PM
Jigsaw Puzzles in Baja

SWMBO started doing these darn things in early 2020 covid while staying at home; it's gotten way, way out of hand. 2 or 3 each week. She was donating them to Habitat Restore and various other charities but now they don't want any more as they are full. We must have 2 or 3 dozen and growing.
Anyway, she wondered if they were popular in Baja and if so, who would we donate them to, the local biblioteca or senior center?

I hope it's the library because this will be the first and only time I can use the phrase we all had to learn....."donde es bibliocteca?"
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 02:31 PM

For the first time in many, many years, jigsaw puzzles took over my dining table over Christmas break!

I had seven family members from Anchorage down to spend the holiday with our extended family here in NorCal. A wet, heavy snowstorm took out the power on Christmas night, so the puzzling was done by candle and lantern light for the next week!

Only one piece was determined to be missing! Eating our meals on TV trays, or living room furniture became normal, and the fire in the glass doored wood stove added to the ambiance.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  

I hope it's the library because this will be the first and only time I can use the phrase we all had to learn....."donde es bibliocteca?"

Since you are only going to say this once, I suggest you use “Donde esta la bibliotheca?”

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 03:37 PM
And if you are writing, be sure to spell it correctly

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Since you are only going to say this once, I suggest you use “Donde esta la bibliotheca?”

In Spanish the word is 'biblioteca" not "bibliotheca"

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-18-2022 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

In Spanish the word is 'biblioteca" not "bibliotheca"

I guess i used the latin spelling. Oh well. It’s pronounced about the same, so no BFD.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2022 at 07:23 AM

I would love some puzzles! I can donate to the senior center and if any are appropriate for kids, wowza!!

Are you in san diego? We will be there this weekend, only for the weekend.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2022 at 08:52 AM

👍
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2022 at 08:53 AM

Your compulsion is puzzling. But then, I did collect stamps at one time (with dad helping).
tbnoble
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2022 at 09:09 AM

We go through a lot of jigsaw puzzles here in Socorrito, my wife even had me make a table just for them. We generally pass them around the ranch among all of us full-timers until everyone has done them that want too and then start donating them, some to segundas, some to teachers for their schools, some to our cleaning lady. Easy to find places to donate.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2022 at 09:24 PM

When we first decided to come to La Bocana I bought a lot of puzzles thinking I would have sooooooooooo much time to do them.

Joke was indeed on me! I never did one LOL Just so busy with everything here.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2022 at 05:06 PM

Uh ho, Blanca sked me to overnight them to a home in San Diego so she could take them with her on Monday but I already shipped them standard UPS so they will arrive after she leaves.
If anyone is going her way thru Sandy Eggo and can take them (two boxes about the size of a case of wine), contact Blanca for directions.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2022 at 07:37 PM

Thanks for the puzzles! Mom opened one of the boxes and asked if she can take one for puzzle herself! I presume that is OK? She is 88 and thought it might give her weeks of entertainment.

The boxes need a ride down, we will be going up again with part II of our Turkey shipping load but do not know when.

Come visit La Bocana

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2022 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Thanks for the puzzles! Mom opened one of the boxes and asked if she can take one for puzzle herself! I presume that is OK? She is 88 and thought it might give her weeks of entertainment.

Of course, they were stacked up all around my office and now I can get back to trying to figure out how to get the bots just right on a prince nymph. My fussy neighbor calls them "Chernobyl Princes".
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2022 at 05:32 PM

Thanks again! Must find a ride must find a ride.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2022 at 11:20 PM

Time for the update!

Here I am picking up the puzzles from my Mom in San Diego.

Our neighbor Nacho (who is managing our hotel in La Bocana) drove our car back to La Bocana and delivered one box of puzzles to the DIF (the family development center) in La Bocana:

and the second box to Punta Abreojos.

Everyone was so happy and thanks so much Santiago! I will ask them to send photos of the senior citizens doing the puzzles.

Come visit La Bocana

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2022 at 11:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
For the first time in many, many years, jigsaw puzzles took over my dining table over Christmas break!

I had seven family members from Anchorage down to spend the holiday with our extended family here in NorCal. A wet, heavy snowstorm took out the power on Christmas night, so the puzzling was done by candle and lantern light for the next week!

Only one piece was determined to be missing! Eating our meals on TV trays, or living room furniture became normal, and the fire in the glass doored wood stove added to the ambiance.

A great story. I'm sure that was fun and something the family will always remember.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.