Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The past week in La Bocana - headed to Alanya, Turkey soon
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2022 at 11:21 PM
The past week in La Bocana - headed to Alanya, Turkey soon

Hello all, I think everyone knows the story but just in case, here goes the background.

We were invited to stay at a condo in Alanya, Turkey by one of our hotel guests who said he bought it as an investment and spends 2 weeks a year there. We took him up on his offer and used it as home base. From there we traveled to Cappadocia, Pamukkale, Konya and we had already been to Istanbul 2 years ago. We loved it so much in Alanya, that we ended up buying an apt on the beach.

This was our last week in La Bocana and it was a FULL one. We sold all our furniture, tools, cars and more. The last items were kitchen things and this is how I laid them out LOL I was OVER sales!

We got internet installed for Tidiana/Abraham and the family so they can enter this Century. My friend from when we were 10 years old in Miami paid $200 for them to have one year service. Picture of Hanno who did the installation, holding the $200.

As soon as internet was up and working, we had our first whatapp video chat. I was so happy! This way I can see and talk to each kid to make sure Life is good for them.

Tutoring is happening every day and the kids are actually getting a little boost of extra material and reading so that they are ahead of the game.

Here are Sannia and Jireth Diana under the palapa behind our hotel. Since we moved out of the house and into the hotel for a couple days, I was able to photograph both tutors and students.

Then I had a very difficult decision to make. My cat Boots does not like cars and even though I took him around for over 2 weeks, it was not his idea of fun and the complaints were loud. Also, the vets in Vizcaino were not equipped to put in a chip. The icing on the cake was when they gave me tranquilizers for me to administer and said: No food. No water for 12 hours and be very careful not to overdose him.

I was given many pills since we had t0 drive from La Bocana to San Felipe and stay the night (where we are now), Sunday cross to San Diego, on Monday drive to Long Beach and thru all this, Boots would have had to stay in a cat hotel. Then our flight is going to be either 17 or 21 hours long! Too much for my kitty, so, hard as it was, I took him over to Tidiana and the 7 kids. They were thrilled, Boots' sis lives there and they began to play right away. Boots took one look at their cute little puppy of maybe 12 inches and did not even blink an eye. In other words, he felt at home.

So, my Boots has a new family. He is fine. I am a wreck.

Driving over there he is already giving me the evil eye for being in the car.

Here he is exploring the amazing garden.

Jireth Diana is enchanted to have him join the fam.

I taught Genesis the special under the chin scratch that makes Boots smile!

I did not get a photo of Duquesa (the Duchess) his sis but she is easily twice his size and not as warm as Boots is - she does not like to be picked up. However, I did get a family shot with 6 of the kids.

Their Aunt Sarahi is working hard to set up her salon. I pay for the 4 boys to get haircuts once a month.

and I myself was the first customer to ever sit in this hair washing station and get my hair washed. I was very stressed (giving away your cat is no fun) and asked for a super massage hair wash.

Here we are together. When the time comes for her to have her grand opening, my friend Julia will prepare balloons etc., Bertha can prepare some food and we have to have music.

Blanca and Sarahi 1/28/22

I also stopped by to see Bertha and she seems to be doing so well. Her restaurant has become a family business. Her dad and sis were all busy in the kitchen.

Bertha Dad and Sister

Of course I had to stop by church and check out the living room carpet I donated as well as ask God to protect everyone and to guide us on this new adventure.

Our friends Patty and Dave gave us a going away dinner! It was so good!! We cried saying goodbye but I fully expect they will visit us since they are world travelers.

And folks, that ends 16 years of Baja for these two fogies. We are leaving this view from our porch:

and here is the view we shall have from our living room in Alanya, Turkey.

As I think back on all the projects. for sure I get a knot in my throat....the surf competition, the skateboard club, the bike club, teaching English to over 200 students, the scholarship project with 19 students either graduated or about to (whew!!!!) and of course, Tidiana and Abraham have their place in my heart along with their 7 really smart, really personable kids. So much accomplished in 12 months - water to the house. electricity to the house, and a HOUSE and a couple days ago, internet. Thanks everyone, what a ride! You have all shared the struggles, the challenges of being in such a remote area of Baja and we came thru with flying colors.

We are not done! One more college scholarship recipient starts next August. And the 7 kids will need shoes twice a year, backpacks once a year and clothes.

I was not able to post photos when we were in Turkey last year. I hope I can figure it out once we get there! I am t hinking of starting a vlog - video blog. It seems to be the youtube thing to do and you cannot get more exotic than Alanya.

Thanks again! I will def keep you in the loop regarding Life in La Bocana.

BTW Nacho the neighbor is the manager now and reservations can be made thru husband Les and Nacho and me too! 619 337-5507

Les Heil 52 615 107-2400 whatsapp
email bajabocana@gmail.com
Nacho Arce Ibarra 52 615 107-9654

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
volcano3
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 07:40 AM

safe travels....I've never even met you but I love you! please hook us up to your blog...I want to stay in touch.....with your infectious joy for life.
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 08:16 AM

Bien viaje and I'm sure your new hometown will welcome you with open arms. You are truly a Baja legend Blanca!
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 08:46 AM

Safe travels and best wishes for your new adventures. Wish we'd known you were coming to SF. We could have offered you a bed or at least dinner.

Re posting from your new home, Turkey sensors the internet, especially social media sites and YouTube. You will want to install a good VPN on your computers BEFORE you get there. I use Nord as it worked well when we were in China. There are other VPN providers that work but stay away from any free ones. Better to be the customer than the product.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 10:01 AM

Hola, I sent Les a WhatsApp text as a test.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 10:03 AM

Güle güle!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 03:49 PM

I'm happy to see Bertha doing well. It seems she has a good support system apart from you.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 05:04 PM

Bertha does have a big support group, the smiles on Dad's face tells it all. My message to her was that she has to prepare for her own future so that dad is not responsible for her forever. He said YEAH, that is a great idea. He has 4 daughters and none are married. Bertha has come a long way and I think she is loving her Life.

We boosted her up.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. What we did for Tidiana, Abraham and the kids was nothing short of a miracle. In 12 months, they got running water, they got electricity, they built a home, and all the kids have shoes, brand new uniforms and passed all grades with flying colors!

Paul, no text came thru. Can you try again?

VPN going to be installed right this minute. Thanks so much for the heads up <;))

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 09:56 PM

I am so happy for you and Les on your next adventure! But, it saddens me that I may not return to La Bocana. I may never have visited LB if I had not heard of you. I was so impressed with your work in the community and wanted to help in some small way. I remember my first visit when Paul brought me by to drop off some school supplies, your enthusiasm was contagious! On my future Baja travels I always detoured to LB so that I could continue to be involved. I know I was only one of many who had caught the Blanca bug! Throughout the year I would keep my eyes open looking for items to bring and I got my wife hooked as well. I am so happy she got to meet you and Les and feel the love you have for your community! As a teacher I feel I have a solid picture of the impact you made on the people and future of LB. your efforts will last generations! There will be an empty place in the hearts of those of us drawn to your kindness and enthusiasm when we next visit LB! The people of Turkey have no idea of what they are getting! Wishing you great adventures, happy lives, and continued blessings!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2022 at 07:06 AM

Beautiful words! I did not realize I am contagious! Please continue going down and please continue visiting. I will have Tidiana and Abraham stop by with all the kids while you are there. They are simply adorable. I would ask that you take photos to share here!

Thanks for everything! You both are absolutely the BEST.

Come visit La Bocana

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2022 at 08:40 AM

I came by your place, only once, a few years ago with some friends, and met you and Les. You were so gracious to invite us in, share a beer and conversation. Since that time I have followed all the great things you have done for that small community, and I know they will miss you immensely. Congratulations on your new home and I wish you all the happiness you so deserve. Bien Viaje.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-1-2022 at 09:49 AM

Enjoy your next adventure! Keep us posted here on Baja Nomad!
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 2-1-2022 at 10:18 AM

The end of an era!

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.