Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tips for tipping
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2022 at 12:53 PM
Tips for tipping

I always tip between 15 and 20% at a restaurant that provides service at the table. When in Mexico, I've learned to tip the gas attendant as well. Once, when the attendant made the point of showing me the meter reset to zero, I gave a slightly higher tip. A bit ironic to have to reward someone for doing the right thing, but "así es".

In Mexico I've always tipped the bagger at a grocery store, but haven't always done so when the cashier bagged my items - usually during a very small purchase, Is it customary to tip the cashier at a grocery store?

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-7-2022 at 01:21 PM

no

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-7-2022 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I always tip between 15 and 20% at a restaurant that provides service at the table. When in Mexico, I've learned to tip the gas attendant as well. Once, when the attendant made the point of showing me the meter reset to zero, I gave a slightly higher tip. A bit ironic to have to reward someone for doing the right thing, but "así es".

In Mexico I've always tipped the bagger at a grocery store, but haven't always done so when the cashier bagged my items - usually during a very small purchase, Is it customary to tip the cashier at a grocery store?

My tipping mirrors yours and if in doubt I leave a tip. I am a budget traveler living on a modest retirement but I know that my income is far better than the person who is helping me. I also leave a tip for hotel maids whether in the US or elsewhere. Tips are such a small part of my travel expenses that I just never worry about it. BTW, my Mexican friends tell me that Americans tip too much. They say that 10% is standard for waiters. I normally ignore that advice and leave a little more.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2022 at 01:36 PM

Cashiers are always bagging the items, it's faster to get you out of the door this way then leaving you fumbling around with it. I don't usually buy - or need - more than I can carry to the car, so bagger's help is a non-issue. 20% must've been brought in by gringos from the US, it's a common rate up North. In Europe the tips are waay less.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-7-2022 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

My tipping mirrors yours and if in doubt I leave a tip. I am a budget traveler living on a modest retirement but I know that my income is far better than the person who is helping me. I also leave a tip for hotel maids whether in the US or elsewhere. Tips are such a small part of my travel expenses that I just never worry about it. BTW, my Mexican friends tell me that Americans tip too much. They say that 10% is standard for waiters. I normally ignore that advice and leave a little more.

Same here... when I left a tip double the standard, I was almost scolded by my Mexican amigo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2022 at 03:39 PM

Yes, most people (gringos) over tip here. Ten percent more or less is standard for us.

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-7-2022 at 04:27 PM

Tip 15-20% in the US. 10-15% in MX.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Don Pisto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2022 at 04:38 PM

that bottle of coca-cola, can of beer or bag of beans costs that dirt poor hombre the same as it costs the gringo....BE GENEROUS!

John Hiatt
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 2-7-2022 at 04:52 PM

I started working at a car wash 40 hours a week when I was 14 and still graduated high school with a major in science. They called me jingles because of the dimes and quarters that filled my jean's pockets and I was always skinny and fast and I did jingle when I worked. I was always dirt poor to start my life and retired wealthy to many people's standards. If a tip is deserved in my eyes I tip a lot and not just for "them" but for me as well. I've traveled the world photographing birds and a tip deserved for a worker anywhere is a tip I understand.

[Edited on 2-7-2022 by BigOly]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 08:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Yes, most people (gringos) over tip here. Ten percent more or less is standard for us.

Same here. Locals I know think more than 10% is foolish
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigOly  

I started working at a car wash 40 hours a week when I was 14 and still graduated high school with a major in science. They called me jingles because of the dimes and quarters that filled my jean's pockets and I was always skinny and fast and I did jingle when I worked. I was always dirt poor to start my life and retired wealthy to many people's standards. If a tip is deserved in my eyes I tip a lot and not just for "them" but for me as well. I've traveled the world photographing birds and a tip deserved for a worker anywhere is a tip I understand.

That is beautiful.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Same here. Locals I know think more than 10% is foolish

Good points. Big tips might be viewed as showing off. It's a first-world problem, but a real one nonetheless.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 11:25 AM

Stopped caring what locals think about anything. I don't tip for locals anyway. I tip 10-20%.

Think for yourself when tipping and not how it's perceived by locals who worry what their friends think about how they spend their money.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 12:06 PM

little to Add as far as I know all tips at restaurant go to owner. Not server this upsets me. At local places I will ask owner if server can keep my tip. I also had bad experience at resort owner is Amiga of mine. My GF always brings her cat no pets are allowed. Owner always lets her bring cat in room . This time not there the Lady that works there . Told me no cat too much work for her clean room. So i told her before I leave I pay you for extra work. So we where there many days great service. I put big tip in her hand half week of her normal pay. She is happy we leave two weeks later. Call from owner did you tip her and how much. So i had big problem but I got it worked out . Another place all tips go to owner
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
little to Add as far as I know all tips at restaurant go to owner.

Whaaaat?

That possibility had never occurred to me. And I agree, the idea is upsetting. :fire:

I'm going to start asking the service folks about this (not the owners).

x2

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Stopped caring what locals think about anything. I don't tip for locals anyway. I tip 10-20%.

Think for yourself when tipping and not how it's perceived by locals who worry what their friends think about how they spend their money.

Every country you visit you should do what is customary there.

Don't go to Europe and throw down 20%.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
little to Add as far as I know all tips at restaurant go to owner.

Whaaaat?

That possibility had never occurred to me. And I agree, the idea is upsetting. :fire:

I'm going to start asking the service folks about this (not the owners).

x2

X3

I spent many winters camping at Los Frailes on the East Cape. Back when the hotel there was in business (probably 15 or 20 years ago) the rooms were going for $240 US a night plus a 20% gratuity. We new several workers there and the tips were not shared with the workers.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Every country you visit you should do what is customary there.

Don't go to Europe and throw down 20%.

Some customs make sense, some don't. Don't care about customs that don't work.

What's a European going to do with 20% gratuity? Throw it back at me? Who gives a F' what Europeans do anyway? Still don't care what Mexicans think of tipping also.

My experience is locals are cheap and don't tip. Think that's a product of being poor and not having money.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
that bottle of coca-cola, can of beer or bag of beans costs that dirt poor hombre the same as it costs the gringo....

Food and beverages in an average US supermarket in a big city cost more than in Mexico. It's only in godforsaken out of the way little towns like BOLA that you might have to pay more for some items, due to remoteness. Mostly it's imported items that cost more. Basic non-perishables cost same or less as in the US.
Don Pisto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-8-2022 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
that bottle of coca-cola, can of beer or bag of beans costs that dirt poor hombre the same as it costs the gringo....

Food and beverages in an average US supermarket in a big city cost more than in Mexico. It's only in godforsaken out of the way little towns like BOLA that you might have to pay more for some items, due to remoteness. Mostly it's imported items that cost more. Basic non-perishables cost same or less as in the US.

its not worth responding:lol:

[Edited on 2-9-2022 by Don Pisto]

John Hiatt
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.