Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Inflation in Baja
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2022 at 07:04 PM

I suspect if you get the room temps down to a comfortable level during the hottest part of the day, maintaining them through the cooling evening after 6 pm should require far less load. As batteries tend to be the most expensive part of a solar system, I would undersize and add more in parallel later if you find it inadequate. A/C does seem a natural fit to solar. Advantage to having solar installed is you can use it for emergency backup on grid failures for refrigeration or communication.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2022 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Lencho: I noted before you have exceptionally low power costs and was wondering how you manage it?

Grid power only, rarely use air conditioning (I grew up in Phoenix & fans work great), gas water heater & stove, no other major appliances.

I'm surprised at Bajaboy's situation-- none of what he listed are major consumers, unless his "few other appliances" happen to include large motors or resistence elements. Pressurized water system?

I had a housemate one time who used to follow me around turning off lights because our power bill was high. One day I showed him a comparison between the impact of using the 5,000 watt electric clothes dryer compared to leaving all the lights and other appliances turned on (he stopped worrying about the lights and suggested a clothesline).

One of those "Kill a Watt" plug-in power meters can be illuminating, showing up problems with inefficient refrigerators, for example.

We used to pay about 1000 pesos per year in the past. We normally were here about 2-3 months each year. Our fridge was always on. Now our bill is about 1700 pesos for two months.

I asked my neighbor last night and he said he pays about the same. We plan on getting solar in the future to help out. I wonder if prices change based on location. I vaguely recall my buddy in Culiacan telling me they get a subsidy in summer for the heat. ?????

As I said previously, we have to work really hard to spend money. I'm not complaining about the cost of electricity but I do wonder how others can afford it.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2022 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

We used to pay about 1000 pesos per year in the past. We normally were here about 2-3 months each year. Our fridge was always on. Now our bill is about 1700 pesos for two months.

Looks like you use to paid $4.00US a month and pay $40US a month now. Solar payback will be 6-10 years with lots of variables.

Inflation caught up with Pescadero years ago with restaurants charging California prices. Don't like it, don't eat out much anymore. Waiting for the $4.00 taco.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2022 at 11:10 PM

It really is looking like the bottled gas (Propane or Butane) prices in Baja are going to be the killers in the near future. I would look at reducing gas use rather than electricity costs at only 40USD per month for electricity. Solar hot water or dual element electric hot water with one element powered by solar cells would be a good beginning. But as you are only there 2 months a year even that doesn't seem worthwhile.

[Edited on 2-14-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 06:22 AM

It really is looking like the bottled gas (Propane or Butane) prices in Baja are going to be the killers in the near future. I would look at reducing gas use rather than electricity costs at only 40USD per month for electricity. Solar hot water or dual element electric hot water with one element powered by solar cells would be a good beginning. But as you are only there 2 months a year even that doesn't seem worthwhile.

We just bought a new propane tank. We buy the middle sized one. The price went from about 840 pesos to 925 pesos. It took about 7 months for us to use it. We use our stove and oven often. So for us, propane is very inexpensive.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 07:35 AM

We just bought a new propane tank. We buy the middle sized one. The price went from about 840 pesos to 925 pesos. It took about 7 months for us to use it. We use our stove and oven often. So for us, propane is very inexpensive.

So you fuel cost have increased 10%, but it is no skin off your back,…

With core inflation running at 7%, some less affluent Mexicans may be losing skin off their backs, eh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 09:49 AM
Not just in Baja!

In January, PG&E raised residential electric rates 8%, and gas 11%! This morning it was announced that electricity will go up another 9% on March 1st.

It won't affect me as much as most homes, because I heat with wood, and cool with fans. Shade trees and air flow management are part of the comfort level scenario.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 10:22 AM

Since Electricity so cheap I just got new bill today 2 months 8 bucks. I removed gas tankless water heater. That nobody that I know likes bought 10 gal elect water heater . Cost Ensenada 180.00 DL same water heater home depo. across border so cal 390.00 dl .
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Since Electricity so cheap I just got new bill today 2 months 8 bucks. I removed gas tankless water heater. That nobody that I know likes bought 10 gal elect water heater . Cost Ensenada 180.00 DL same water heater home depo. across border so cal 390.00 dl .

interesting Larry! I've been intrigued with Shari's lodge set up mounting small electric water heaters right in the bathrooms, does your latest bill reflect the electric water heater? man I hate buying propane

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
In January, PG&E raised residential electric rates 8%, and gas 11%! This morning it was announced that electricity will go up another 9% on March 1st.

It won't affect me as much as most homes, because I heat with wood, and cool with fans. Shade trees and air flow management are part of the comfort level scenario.

Gas bill when from $84 to $300 from a year ago. Electric bill when up $140 ($380 to $520) compared to January last year with the same usage.

All the neighbors are crying about it on NextDoor (neighborhood social media).

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 11:38 AM

I qualify for PG&E's lowest rate, and I don't use much energy. My monthly bill for gas, and electricity, has rarely topped $50.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Gas bill when from $84 to $300 from a year ago. Electric bill when up $140 ($380 to $520) compared to January last year with the same usage.

All the neighbors are crying about it on NextDoor (neighborhood social media).

with solar, my SDG&E annual elec bill is about $100. i put in solar 7 years ago, figure i already paid off the cost and am now coasting on almost "free" elec cost.

we run the AC whenever we feel like it, and have converted our water heating from gas to elec. waiting for the gas dryer to die before we convert dryer to elec.
still got nat gas heat... not bad costwise, does not get too cold in san diego.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 12:17 PM

Based on what I am reading here, lets hope the Fed is correct in saying this is temporary and about to be fixed. Mexico is somehow resisting the high inflation in energy and drinking water costs we are seeing north of the border.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

So you fuel cost have increased 10%, but it is no skin off your back,…

With core inflation running at 7%, some less affluent Mexicans may be losing skin off their backs, eh?

Most people I know in town can handle paying 85 more pesos over a 6 month period. :light::light::light:

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

interesting Larry! I've been intrigued with Shari's lodge set up mounting small electric water heaters right in the bathrooms, does your latest bill reflect the electric water heater? man I hate buying propane

Most people in town have electric water heaters. We have two of them. Some people have them wired to be constantly on while others turn them on as needed. It normally takes about 10 minutes to warm up.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 02:43 PM

I have on off switch in house for E water heater . turn on about 5pm eat dinner bath then wash dishes turn off. Yes new bill is one month e heater one month old no good for nothing tankless heater. Im little worried they made mistake on my two month bill 168 pesos v old bill of 300 pesos.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Most people in town have electric water heaters. We have two of them.

Something you happened to neglect mentioning when you were detailing all those other low-consumption appliances. :lol:

You're in great solar hot-water country; you might be surprised at the impact of shutting down your resistance-element water heaters.

We have two showers hence two 5 gallon tanks. They are operated by flipping a switch when in use. I really doubt they would be the deal breaker.

Now I did forget to mention my brewing equipment, kegarator, and pellet bbq:light:

A few neighbors have solar hot water but with mixed results.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2022 at 03:00 PM

Back in 2005 we had a couple summer months were our electric bill hit $2,000 USD in Sonora.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2022 at 08:04 PM

The Point why go to Sonora in summer time? When all people live there go to Ensenada?
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2022 at 07:22 PM

I have on off switch in house for E water heater . turn on about 5pm eat dinner bath then wash dishes turn off. Yes new bill is one month e heater one month old no good for nothing tankless heater. Im little worried they made mistake on my two month bill 168 pesos v old bill of 300 pesos.

Electric heaters are troublesome with my house on full solar. Still trying to work out how to get sufficient hot water at night without running down the batteries excessively. Going to try a timer so it only preheats when we have excess solar in the afternoon and maintain the temperature up with following gas instantaneous heater at occasional higher load periods.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.