Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bahia Las Animas
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2022 at 07:09 PM
Bahia Las Animas

I have wanted to go to Las Animas for long time. I met two friends in BOLA and we left early the next day. It is 40 km of washboard to get to the turn off to Las Animas. It was a 20 km/hr slog with a full sized truck camper.

A89ADEAC-3657-48B4-90B4-9195904EFB8F.jpeg - 75kB
The sign at the main road.

Once off the Baja 1000 route, the road was great. However the Mesquite had over grown the road significantly and I had to use my electric pole saw to cut our way in. It took 4 .5 hrs! I should have probably brushed out the last 2 km a bit more but we were sick of it so we got some Baja pinstripes. It took us 1.5 hrs on the way out.

41A84C03-7D9C-4EAA-8A4B-AEC562CAAED2.jpeg - 117kB
My buddy with my dog, Brian. We hiked a nice hill with a great view of the Estero.

Once we setup camp we were greeted by Miguel with a basket of free firewood. Nice guy. He lives there in an old Airstream. His buddy Horacio, came over the next day with Las Animas t- shirts to sell. We bought a few.

Animas is a spectacular spot. The only downside was the reefs have been gill-netted daily and there was nothing to catch. It took us 4 hours just to get two Trigger fish.

After talking with Miguel, he said the fishing in May is great when the Rooster Fish and Yellow Tail come into the bay to feed on schools of Mullet. We were told the road is usually graded 3 to 4 months after the Baja 1000.

I probably won’t go back given the poor fishing and snorkeling, but it would be worth the effort to bring a full sized truck camper in there in May. Enjoy the brushed out road.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2022 at 09:07 PM

Nice, on the list to visit. Would love to see some more pictures. Thanks for the report.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2022 at 09:13 PM

Very cool. Nice photos. How was the temperature?

Appreciate you widening the trail a bit.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-18-2022 at 09:26 PM

I drove in there in the late afternoon a little over a year ago. It was just my dog and I, and we did not set up a camp.

I don't know if I wound up near a coyote den, or if they were just curious, but a couple of them seemed to shadow us as we pulled in, and again the next morning when we were pulling out.

We had no problems with them, they were not aggressive, but they weren't shy either!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I drove in there in the late afternoon a little over a year ago. It was just my dog and I, and we did not set up a camp.

I don't know if I wound up near a coyote den, or if they were just curious, but a couple of them seemed to shadow us as we pulled in, and again the next morning when we were pulling out.

We had no problems with them, they were not aggressive, but they weren't shy either!

My Shepard was working overtime around the campfire. Lots of coyotes.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 06:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Nice, on the list to visit. Would love to see some more pictures. Thanks for the report.

C85240EE-50B4-4664-B99E-99684267DD7F.jpeg - 67kB
View of the small islands in the bay.

766769D2-1C7A-4431-AC8C-B2104960F172.jpeg - 67kB
Large clam bed in the Estero.

B9D5B8C6-AB70-466A-9F00-68072971A1F3.jpeg - 55kB
The Estero at low tide. Lots of small fish in there but no Corvina unfortunately.

High tide was late at night when we were there. Would be nice kayaking if you get the tides to work for you.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 07:50 AM

Was the fish camp empty except for the two you mentioned? I would go there many times by boat and fish Barnabe and the south wall of the bay in the early 2000s. Each year the fishing became worse and worse.

There always seemed to be a dozen or so folks in the fish camp and the fish trucks from Ensenada would come each week. That must be all over now, why do the work of stringing gill nets if nothing will get in them?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 08:03 AM

Low tide

24799443_1770754296299832_5398855772316695986_o.jpg - 78kB
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 08:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Was the fish camp empty except for the two you mentioned? I would go there many times by boat and fish Barnabe and the south wall of the bay in the early 2000s. Each year the fishing became worse and worse.

There always seemed to be a dozen or so folks in the fish camp and the fish trucks from Ensenada would come each week. That must be all over now, why do the work of stringing gill nets if nothing will get in them?

Pangas come every day from BOLA, then return at night. Miguel and Horacio work for them.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 08:27 AM

Is La Unica property still around? (Former Fermin smith property). I recall someone bought the eco-camp, never heard of it since….

And is there still a yurt camp at las animas? Is it in business?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Is La Unica property still around? (Former Fermin smith property). I recall someone bought the eco-camp, never heard of it since….

And is there still a yurt camp at las animas? Is it in business?

That bay is north of where we were. Not sure if the yurt camp is still there.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 08:49 AM

On my last trip in there just before Thanksgiving 2020, I only encountered one person. He was a fisherman left to gaurd some equipment stored there.

I poked around a bit on the roads (trails) heading around the north bay, but did not do a very thorough exploration. I did not stumble upon a yurt camp, but could easily have missed it.

There had been a recent rain event that settled the dirt, and there only appeared to be one set of tracks, other than mine going in, and out.

I also got a few pinstripes on my Isuzu Trooper, so I can imagine what it was like for a truck/camper. I don't have any old adventures to compare the road conditions to, but it appears to have changed due to storms a couple of times.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 09:17 AM

The fish camp was deserted in Jan. 2017. A lone gringo was camping near by, next to the lagoon/ estero. I drove past the mangroves and camped on the north-facing beach, opposite the island. The road was bumpy but the shrubs hadn't yet grown into it.
Photos at Las Animas in 2017: https://vivabaja.com/p117-page3/

I had driven in before, but not camped there in 2004 and 2009 (lost mission search).

The place was were Marv Sherrill and his Dana Point High marine biology class had annual field trips. Marv was the creator of the Baja Calendar in the early 2000s to raise funds so all his students could attend the one-week camping trip.

Marv and his calendar in 2003.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 10:29 AM

standing right between the Indian graves
there are more on the hill below

indian graves.jpeg - 117kB

Harald Pietschmann
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 10:39 AM

What a change...
No one there???

Couple years ago we drove in, yeah pinstripes, but not bad
There were several rather permanent looking campers there and they were a grim looking bunch

(Faint strains of a banjo playing the theme from "Deliverance"???)

We decided that camping at La Gringa was a much safer bet.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Your sure they are native graves? What is your source that you read to confirm that Harold?

I thought it was a cairn. But hey what do I know.

Thanks

Ron
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 01:20 PM

Eric Ritter (archeologist) has researched the graves and interesting sites at Las Animas (but not the mission-era walls in question). See his published paper on Las Animas.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 03:03 PM

Thanks David
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 03:39 PM

I can't find a specific paper for his work on Las Animas, but here is an overview of this busy man's efforts:

http://www.pcas.org/documents/534Ritter.pdf

https://www.academia.edu/35558571/Eric_Ritters_Role_in_the_D...

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-19-2022 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Your sure they are native graves? What is your source that you read to confirm that Harold?

I thought it was a cairn. But hey what do I know.

Thanks

Ron

I am not a pro. I have no credentials.

But I have been to several historic burial sites in Baja - and the look and "feel" of the mountain top at Animas is identical to those other sites. It seems to me that Indians used to favor hilltop sites.
Interesting connection to our current past - many Baja cemeteries are on hilltops.

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 4.46.58 PM copy.jpg - 215kB

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.