Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First Time Riding KTM Dual Sport to Mexico Solo
ChronicBraaper

[*] posted on 2-27-2022 at 01:58 AM
First Time Riding KTM Dual Sport to Mexico Solo

Hey Baja Nomads,
I have been wanting to ride into Mexico since I have gotten my new to me 2006 KTM 525. My family actually lives in Puerto Penasco and I have been going to Mexico since I was a child. I have backpacked all over Costa Rica and Panama and have never really had a negative experience. I am 6'0 tall and very much look like a gringo...a gringo that speaks really bad Spanish.

Let's just say I love adventure. After reaching out to all of my dirtbike buddies and all of them saying HELL NO...to going to Mexico I decided to go alone.

I grabbed my passport, some extra CO2 cartridges in case of a flat, my tools, and some water. Load the bike in the truck and head from DownTown San Diego to Tecate. 40 minutes later I was paying 5 bucks to store my truck for the day, unloading my bike and gearing up.

When I got to the gas station on the American side all of the pumps were broken, making my next stop after going through the border a PEMEX.

When I got to the border I was waved on in...no need to show a passport, insurance, CV19 card, or anything. I was in! I could smell the gasoline smell in the air mixed with the sweet smell of taco stands.

My plan was to follow a trail I had mapped out on Google maps the night before...my only problem...the map would not always load on my phone when I was out there. My goal was to take dirt roads towards HorsePower Ranch for a couple hours and turn around and go back to the truck. Head towards Guadelupe. Once I crossed the freeway I found a long dirt road that I was hoping would take me to Presa El Carrizo. All was going well when I got to a dead-end and someone's house. I decided to turn around and head back in the direction I came to find another trail to continue South when the homeowner came rushing towards me in his truck waving his hands at me...He started rifling off questions in Spanish to me...When I told him I did not speak much Spanish he said in perfect English...oh you are an American...your fine don't worry. I thought you were a FALCON. He went on to describe these people that dig into the underground gas lines and steal the gas. He went on to tell me that if I headed down a different trail it would take me to the lake. He also warned me that 8 years ago he used to hike and ride horses out in the rual areas and he had people point guns at him. He said if I ran into bad people they would most likely steal my bike...but other than that I should be fine. Not exactly reassuring.

I made my way to Palm Valley and on to Vallecitos all mainly on dirtroads. I had to open and re secure 3 gates. Most of the people I waved to smiled back while I was out riding. I did come across some random guy in the middle of nowhere that startled me.

Eventually I ended up in Guadalupe where i refueled and got some tacos. On the way home I took some of the same back roads I took on the way but ended up getting a bit lost and got on the freeway and rode back to Tecate.

When I got to Tecate I easily found the border crossing and cut all the way to the front of the line on my dirt bike. IOnce at the border...I flashed my passport to the agent and was soon back in the USA.

I had such a good time riding in Mexico today...it was such an adventure. I did not do anything to extreme or remote and did not do any single track. I was afraid to get to far out in the middle of nowhere by myself.

When I got home I tried to google routes, or find websites where I can find others who are riding on the weekends in Mexico. I am not looking to pay a tour operator....just looking for some people that know the trails. If anyone is planning a ride in the future on the weekends I would love to tag along. Please message me :)

I will say after reading the posts about Mary Ann and other missing people in Baja...I feel terrified and am not sure I will ride solo again into Mexico. Does anyone know of any offroad groups that regularly ride in Baja?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2022 at 08:01 AM

I've ridden both solo and with pals all over Mexico since the mid 60s.
Only negative experiences have been injuries.
You seem like a bright and capable guy. I say go for it. Just keep your situational awareness tuned up...and have fun. Saludos
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-27-2022 at 08:06 AM

check in over at facebook site RIDE BAJA, good group of guys

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-27-2022 at 09:49 AM

follow advice above re finding groups to ride with.

re safety, most of baja is pretty safe. but there are some sketchy areas, and the area you rode - mtns just south of border - is sketchy in places. i would be careful about exploring randomly-selected rural unpaved roads within first 100 miles south of the border -- ask around first for safe areas. Things are much safer after you get 100 miles south of the border.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-27-2022 at 11:25 AM
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2022 at 11:36 AM

Nice report, I've been riding my 990 and other enduros for years in Baja, it's amazing.

I would join ADV rider, many SoCal riders on there that share information and do weekend rides in Baja. I've meet and made many good friends and riding buddies from that form. Checkout the Baja divide Bicycle route for some cool mellow tracks.

I'll be headed down again next winter for some riding, usually ten to twelve days. Often, we go down as far as Loreto on as much dirt as we can find. Drop me a line if you want to tag along on the next trip, plenty of single track to be had.
ChronicBraaper

[*] posted on 2-27-2022 at 11:15 PM

advrider, please email me when ever you come to Baja to ride. I would make my day to ride with you. GodSpeedBraapp
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 08:17 PM

Will do, I'm going to send you a U2U now as well.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.