Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 300 2 stroke - 450-500 - 690 - big bike
ChronicBraaper

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 01:12 AM
300 2 stroke - 450-500 - 690 - big bike

Hello All,
Got an old-school big-bore RFS KTM. The thing is a tractor.
But I have been thinking I don't want to get stranded out in the middle of now where in BAJA which is where i would like to start riding..what should i get. Should I get one of these new 300 two strokes...Which i love the idea but which one...or should i get a 450-500..or should i get an Adventure bike. Right now i like to go hard and crash...planning to kill myself on my future badass bike if i could afford it. Til then i will ride my KTM into the ground...
But what is it..if you had 10k to spend what would you get?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 07:12 AM

I would choose a dual sport in the neighborhood of 300lbs.....if you are not carrying too much gear.
XR400, DRZ400 , or one of many similar motorbikes.
You will have less fun on a larger moto. IMO
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ChronicBraaper  

Right now i like to go hard and crash...planning to kill myself on my future badass bike…

Good luck with that!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I would choose a dual sport in the neighborhood of 300lbs.....if you are not carrying too much gear.

I work on a lot of DRZ400s. If it has the vacuum petc-ck, replace it with a standard type. I've seen several that have crankcases filled with gasoline as the vacuum part failed, letting gas bypass right into the carb through the vacuum line and drain into the case. Also check to make sure front sprocket is secure, my buddy had one shear off the end of the mainshaft, I presume from being loose.

Other than than, very well made bikes.

John
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 09:10 AM

I have a two stroke KTM 250. Fantastic for trail riding. Beat's my kid's 4-stroke KTM 250 racing down the beach. Not so much for the road or touring all of Baja. We typically keep a ride under 150 miles.

If you are doing more highway, a 300 is likely going to be too small also. The KTM 300 two strokes are badass for trails though.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 10:45 AM

Just back from 1200 miles in Baja - 9 days on my Husky 501 FE. I have ridden many times and many different bikes. The late model 300 two stokes are great but have distance and fuel requirements that in my personal opinion don't make it a good choice unless you are supported and/or doing day riding out of a single location.
The beauty of the EFI long stroke 500 is fuel mileage, low end power and ability to slab it when necessary. The 500 is light enough to do the single tracks, carry small saddle bags and a top bag if you are unsupported and very durable. With a 4.1 gal tank, I am comfortable with a 180 range and can squeeze 200 plus if I am easy on the throttle. Just my personal opinion but I have logged somewhere south of 20K on the peninsula.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 10:49 AM

What rfs bike you riding now? I have logged thousands of baja miles on my 450 and 525 rfs machines. About as bulletproof as you can get has been my experience.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

I work on a lot of DRZ400s. If it has the vacuum petc-ck, replace it with a standard type. I've seen several that have crankcases filled with gasoline as the vacuum part failed, letting gas bypass right into the carb through the vacuum line and drain into the case. Also check to make sure front sprocket is secure, my buddy had one shear off the end of the mainshaft, I presume from being loose.

Other than than, very well made bikes.

John

The Petco-k was the first. Mod I did on mine. I have punished my DRZ all over 6 Mexican states...it has never had a failure of any type.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 12:14 PM

Started riding Honda XR600 down here in 1997.

Still riding it here. Is old skool for sure, but tough as nails. Has trophied in a couple local events over the years, and has always brought me back. Kick start simple, enough range with a bigger tank, runs on Magna green gas fine. Something like 40/50 K miles on it, still runs fine, only failures was ignitor (lasted 23 years) and kickstart return spring (20 years). May need a clutch rebuild this summer.

Build one up with $5k and have $5k to spend down here!

The thread advice above is good on KTMs, I have 2 of those up north.
There are no parts for KTM in baja, in my experience.

Still some great tough rides here in central baja.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 04:41 PM

I haven'r owned a bike since the eighty's, so I don't have any advice about your ride, but you should buy a green one!

I don't know what the science behind "going green" is, but it is supposed to be better for the planet!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2022 at 08:10 PM

Love, love, love my 2014 KTM 500 EXCF, many Baja trips on it without a problem. I'm at about 6K miles and the valves haven't needed adjustment yet. Two riders on the adventure forum have or are riding around the world on them.
I've had all of the above bikes at one time and none compared to the 500. Parts aren't cheap but they don't break often if you take care of them.
The highway would suck on a two smoker and range is an issue. Smiles per mile is high but it's a tradeoff. You can pick up a clean 13-14-15 for around 7k if your quick.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 05:16 AM

I have had both a KTM XCW-300 2-2troke and an EXC-450 4-srroke, which I have ridden quite a bit in Baja. The biggest issue with the 300 is range. Even with a big tank, it's hard to safely get much more than 100 miles of range, not to mention carrying 2-strike oil. It is more fun on tight, twisty trails such as Window Rock, but less comfortable on everything else. Bottom line, it depends on what kind of riding you want to do, and if you have a chase vehicle you can hook up with every 75 miles or so. Gas stations can be pretty spread out, so keep that in mind. You can have lots of fun with either. Have fun!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-2-2022 at 08:36 PM

Two strokes not hot tip in Baja unless short local rides . Good 450/500 but not on tight single track .
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2022 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Two strokes not hot tip in Baja unless short local rides . Good 450/500 but not on tight single track .

I agree. Tractor-like torque at low rpm makes the difference.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2022 at 09:59 AM

The new 300 two stroke amazing no vibration no mix oil estart 6th gear over drive. Super bottom end draw backs long distance not comfy like 4stroke poor mpg carry oil. Too tall Too long wheel base for the foot trails we ride. Takes young guy to ride it we are all over 60. So we had to build our own custom bikes that do everything. Most of the guys in our dirt bike gang. Still ride KTM and Husky 500s witch work well for them on dirt roads. On hard single track they do lots of pushing the bike. Would be better off with second bike 250cc.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2022 at 07:18 PM

I just might add a 300 to the fleet but it will only do Baja when I have a chase truck. They are amazing woods bikes and eat up the single track but making a run the length of the peninsula would not be fun!
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2022 at 12:13 AM

Just take the RFS if it is sound, perfect for Baja as long as it is not the 250. 15k miles (many in Baja) on my 525 w/o a problem.

Bruce
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2022 at 11:15 AM

riding in Baja and not living here 450/500 best. Living here trail lover need big bore and 250.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.